Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: open letter from a student

Default Re: open letter from a student

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Sometimes, having a system that does not promote creativity (and even stifles it) may push people to become even more motivated to be creative. Singapore is not full of people who can't think creatively.
    How do your measure it?

I believe we can do it giving sufficient time.

Quote Originally Posted by nightlights View Post
    I see so many around, open your eyes wilder you will see some..
    I agree with you. I seldom take MRT but I saw many giving up seats during my few trips.

We have improved, although we can do better.

I see so many around, open your eyes wilder you will see some..
    so you're saying my eyes are not big enough? are you hinting that i'm a slit-eyed Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    I agree with you. I seldom take MRT but I saw many giving up seats during my few trips.

We have improved, although we can do better.
    many is a big word to say. whom are they giving up the seats to? i see many elderly men and women being snubbed by youngsters on the seat who'd rather cuddle and make out than give the seat to someone who needs it.

for every 10 bus trips i take, with the elderly forced to stand, i see only 1 person giving up the seat. if singapore society is as gracious and courteous as you described, i'm sure the many drivers on the road will stop road hogging and swerving all around. we won't also be seeing people trying to rush into the train when others are alighting, or cutting queues at the bus interchanges.

i don't see much change since my primary school days and now. in fact, i think the practice of giving up seats to those who need it, is declining. singaporeans are getting less and less courteous, and more and more demanding and impatient. the ME ME ME first attitude is very strong in this society. there are many times when i'm dealing with customers that singporeans will just cut in when someone else is talking and demand to be seen to first. it's absolutely ridiculous. even when i'm buying stuff at the shop and asking the salesperson a question, some singaporean chap will butt in and demand to be attended to, even if he/she just walked in. no manners at all to say excuse me or thank you.

I have been recruiting last 18 months. One thing was so apparent, most of the candidates, all Singaporen, lack the ability to think critically. The "Why" is definately lacking.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I won't like to comment further to you and your eyes no matter how small they are. But i can pity you if you need me to. As I think your comparison against another country people is offensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

so you're saying my eyes are not big enough? are you hinting that i'm a slit-eyed Japanese?

many is a big word to say. whom are they giving up the seats to? i see many elderly men and women being snubbed by youngsters on the seat who'd rather cuddle and make out than give the seat to someone who needs it.

for every 10 bus trips i take, with the elderly forced to stand, i see only 1 person giving up the seat. if singapore society is as gracious and courteous as you described, i'm sure the many drivers on the road will stop road hogging and swerving all around. we won't also be seeing people trying to rush into the train when others are alighting, or cutting queues at the bus interchanges.

i don't see much change since my primary school days and now. in fact, i think the practice of giving up seats to those who need it, is declining. singaporeans are getting less and less courteous, and more and more demanding and impatient. the ME ME ME first attitude is very strong in this society. there are many times when i'm dealing with customers that singporeans will just cut in when someone else is talking and demand to be seen to first. it's absolutely ridiculous. even when i'm buying stuff at the shop and asking the salesperson a question, some singaporean chap will butt in and demand to be attended to, even if he/she just walked in. no manners at all to say excuse me or thank you.

I won't like to comment further to you and your eyes no matter how small they are. But i can pity you if you need me to. As I think your comparison against another country people is offensive for me.
    dude. i'm Japanese.

dude. i'm Japanese.
    We have T1, T2, or T3 for you to get back if you don't like what you see here.

Don't try to sow discord here by saying what is not. Singaporeans are giving up seats!

Period!

Blog Entries

Don't try to sow discord here by saying what is not. Singaporeans are giving up seats!

Period!
    night. different ppl have different empirical observations. I see no problem with it. u may observe many giving up seats, she can observe many not. dun see a problem. sample size too small anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart
    night. different ppl have different empirical observations. I see no problem with it. u may observe many giving up seats, she can observe many not. dun see a problem. sample size too small anyways.
    Superficial

Superficial
    How is that superficial? I think your observation is superficial. For every kind citizen that gives up seat, I'm sure that there are one or more who don't. If you see a lot of red cars in your area will you say most Singaporeans drives red cars?

What you see and what she sees from day to day might be different, no need to get so angry over this topic.

Blog Entries

Superficial
    unjustified. prove to me that ur sample size is sufficiently large and that it is a fair and unbiased survey.

i expect an apology with regards to this. unjustified for name calling will not be tolerated.

unjustified. prove to me that ur sample size is sufficiently large and that it is a fair and unbiased survey.

i expect an apology with regards to this. unjustified for name calling will not be tolerated.
    ROFL.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86

How is that superficial? I think your observation is superficial. For every kind citizen that gives up seat, I'm sure that there are one or more who don't. If you see a lot of red cars in your area will you say most Singaporeans drives red cars?

What you see and what she sees from day to day might be different, no need to get so angry over this topic.
    Chill

Quote Originally Posted by nightlights

Chill
    Good, less words less errors

Period!
    by the way, i'm born and bred in singapore. you're very rude. how old are you? a 13 year old kid?

so based on my interaction with you, if i'm not a singaporean, i would say that singaporeans are very rude because you are

Blog Entries

ROFL.
    tats all? some gracious Singaporean you are.

well done. u are indeed one of the "very socially conscious" Singaporeans. who can complain, whine and be critical of others, yet when it comes to own mistake, never acknowledges.

tats all? some gracious Singaporean you are.

well done. u are indeed one of the "very socially conscious" Singaporeans. who can complain, whine and be critical of others, yet when it comes to own mistake, never acknowledges.
    I thought I'd like to say that while nightlights has a bad sense of humor and is probably a over literal person, all this started out with what I thought was a totally random joke about accusations about being Japanese in response to a simple 'open your eyes' (made with bad logic of course) comment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I thought I'd like to say that while nightlights has a bad sense of humor and is probably a over literal person, all this started out with what I thought was a totally random joke about accusations about being Japanese in response to a simple 'open your eyes' (made with bad logic of course) comment.
    nah. i read it as him rejecting someone's observation for no valid reason.

i pointed out the fact that kei's observation can be equally valid as nightlights. both their sample size was probably too small to be accurate/reflective of the whole society.

this was my quote
    directed at this line of his comment

Period!
    his reply was a mere 1 word, superficial, which was uncalled for.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 19th July 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Uhhhhh king... TLDR la.... Hurts my brain....

Zzzzzzzz... Not enough homework...
    Last edited by bonrya; 19th July 2011 at 07:57 PM.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

by the way, i'm born and bred in singapore. you're very rude. how old are you? a 13 year old kid?

so based on my interaction with you, if i'm not a singaporean, i would say that singaporeans are very rude because you are
    How old am I? For me to know. For you to find out. If u think I am rude, so be it. but my Japanese customer pays me what ever amount I quoted without bargaining after my job is done. I can't be that rude right?

Any way, I am old enough to not understand what does that last icon in your above message means. Care to tell me?

FYI, I have nothing against Japanese. I drive Japanese car, use Japanese cameras, etc. Been to japan more than 5 times and like Nara more than anywhere else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast