Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

  1. #1

    Default Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Hi,

    If given a choice of the above lenses, with around the same pricing, which one would you choose? Have anybody ever tried comparing both lenses? What's the main differences (other than the distance information) between the two lenses (maybe the coating.. etc)?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    One is made by Chinese, the other is made by Japanese.... cheers!

  3. #3

    Default

    One says made in china at the bottom and one says made in japan

  4. #4

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    They both take great pictures in the right hands.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    I want to find out if there's a difference too.. problem is.. the japan lenses dun have the D chip... I ve got bothe the MIJ 85 1.8, and the Thailand 85 1.8D so will be putting them side by side and comparing
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  6. #6

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    I want to find out if there's a difference too.. problem is.. the japan lenses dun have the D chip... I ve got bothe the MIJ 85 1.8, and the Thailand 85 1.8D so will be putting them side by side and comparing
    yea.. just let us know here what are the significant differences after u have tested. At least the knowledge about the image character of the older lens compared to the newer lens is useful.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    btw u can pay to get it reprint to made in japan if the made in china if make in china bother u so much

  8. #8
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    not another made in japan vs made in china thread
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by dardar View Post
    btw u can pay to get it reprint to made in japan if the made in china if make in china bother u so much
    Use sandpaper then correction fluid can liao

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Start reading this to get a clue.

    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/index7.htm

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Anw, having taken a look at the 2 lenses, they have different coatings, which is probably due to advances in coating(or cost cutting). the MIJ is ≈450g, while the MIT is ≈390g both without lens caps or filters.

    Turning the focus ring form infinity to CFD makes the slotted screw drive turn ≈5.6 rounds on the MIJ, but only ≈4.6rounds on the MIT. this means(in theory) that the MIJ has a higher degree of accuracy while the MIT has a faster speed.. the MIT does indeed go from ∞-closest-∞ faster by about 1/5second. how much this affects the accuracy im not exactly sure and both lenses seem to acquire subjects just as fast.. have yet to look into accuracy or tracking. turning the focus ring in MF, the MIJ is quieter than the MIT, more rattling in the MIT even though its only purchased this year. however the sound difference is not noticeable in AF.

    the back 'hood', which isolates the optics from the mechanical parts within the lens is longer in the MIT and at no point can you see the mechanics. the MIJ one is shorter and when the focus is at closest distance, the aperture mechanism can be seen inside. this in theory, means that the MIJ version is more susceptible to flare at close focus distances which would reduce contrast. i have not tried testing them in real world situations and this is just a possible effect. if it matters, the MIJ one is plastic while the MIT one is metal.

    From what i've heard and somewhat believe, the MIJ lenses are made to tighter tolerances and have better optics(i have no way to actually test this, its just what i ve heard..) however, they lack the D chip which makes you have to choose D chip, or 'better build quality'. the D chip influences 3D matrix metering and flash metering(TTL-BL)..

    what i would like to know is if the D chip also influences the accuracy of AF tacking... I have no evidence that it does, but no concrete quote that it does not.. my guess is that it does not so if you are careful with your metering and do not play with flash too much, the D chip makes little difference. I use manual lenses all the time and they dun allow 3D matrix metering anyway so little loss to me.

    *this part is purely speculation*
    it is possible that the 'big' difference in weight comes from the helicoid assembly used to move the rear focusing group. i know that this assembly is plastic in the 50 1.8D, and it is possible that the MIJ version uses a metal helicoid while the MIT uses a plastic helicoid. if thats the case then the MIJ versions are indeed built to a higher quality and will last longer than the MIT counterparts. but this shouldn't be too much of an issue and we don't see the MIT lenses just falling apart..

    what we should be concerned with is the calibration of the lens groups within the lens which might be done to a higher tolerance int he MIJ that MIT which would thus lead to higher image quality. i ll be testing them side by side soon just for fun.
    Last edited by Ben Ang; 13th July 2011 at 12:40 AM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  12. #12

    Default

    Your comparison of the old and new 85mm has nothing to with where it is made. You are comparing an old and a new generation lens, that's all.
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

  13. #13

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    The 50mm f/1.8 D has such a simple construction and is way too cheap that making it anywhere else other than china doesnt really make sense for a company.
    the formula for a 50 f/1.8 has been the same for the longest time.

    something as complicated as a 70-200 f/2.8, yeah please make that in Japan.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Your comparison of the old and new 85mm has nothing to with where it is made. You are comparing an old and a new generation lens, that's all.
    as is the case with the 50 1.8 MIJ and MIC. all the MIJ 50 1.8s are non D and all the 50 1.8Ds are MIC.. there is no way a direct comparison can be made and this is the closest you get to one. for all we know, some of the changes were implemented due to the inability of the thailand/china plant to manufacture/process different materials..
    Last edited by Ben Ang; 13th July 2011 at 01:35 PM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  15. #15

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by 116520 View Post
    One is made by Chinese, the other is made by Japanese.... cheers!
    Wah.. Thanks for reminding. Nearly slipped off our minds.
    D200

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    as is the case with the 50 1.8 MIJ and MIC. All AF-D lenses are MIC, all non-D lenses are MIJ.
    Not right ... some cheaper non-D lens (e.g. AF-S G-lens) are also MIC.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by madnug View Post
    Not right ... some cheaper non-D lens (e.g. AF-S G-lens) are also MIC.
    o paiseh.. not clear. meant that all the MIJ 50 1.8s are non D and all the 50 1.8Ds are MIC. same with the 85 1.8, exp made in thailand, not china
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    @ Ben Ang

    Understood what you meant ... the 50mm 1.8 non-D are usually MIJ
    But I guess Nikon already moving part of their production to China.

    An example here, a 50mm F1.8G which is MIC.

    Image from www.kenrockwell.com
    Last edited by madnug; 13th July 2011 at 01:50 PM.

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang
    Anw, having taken a look at the 2 lenses, they have different coatings, which is probably due to advances in coating(or cost cutting). the MIJ is ≈450g, while the MIT is ≈390g both without lens caps or filters.

    Turning the focus ring form infinity to CFD makes the slotted screw drive turn ≈5.6 rounds on the MIJ, but only ≈4.6rounds on the MIT. this means(in theory) that the MIJ has a higher degree of accuracy while the MIT has a faster speed.. the MIT does indeed go from ∞-closest-∞ faster by about 1/5second. how much this affects the accuracy im not exactly sure and both lenses seem to acquire subjects just as fast.. have yet to look into accuracy or tracking. turning the focus ring in MF, the MIJ is quieter than the MIT, more rattling in the MIT even though its only purchased this year. however the sound difference is not noticeable in AF.

    the back 'hood', which isolates the optics from the mechanical parts within the lens is longer in the MIT and at no point can you see the mechanics. the MIJ one is shorter and when the focus is at closest distance, the aperture mechanism can be seen inside. this in theory, means that the MIJ version is more susceptible to flare at close focus distances which would reduce contrast. i have not tried testing them in real world situations and this is just a possible effect. if it matters, the MIJ one is plastic while the MIT one is metal.

    From what i've heard and somewhat believe, the MIJ lenses are made to tighter tolerances and have better optics(i have no way to actually test this, its just what i ve heard..) however, they lack the D chip which makes you have to choose D chip, or 'better build quality'. the D chip influences 3D matrix metering and flash metering(TTL-BL)..

    what i would like to know is if the D chip also influences the accuracy of AF tacking... I have no evidence that it does, but no concrete quote that it does not.. my guess is that it does not so if you are careful with your metering and do not play with flash too much, the D chip makes little difference. I use manual lenses all the time and they dun allow 3D matrix metering anyway so little loss to me.

    *this part is purely speculation*
    it is possible that the 'big' difference in weight comes from the helicoid assembly used to move the rear focusing group. i know that this assembly is plastic in the 50 1.8D, and it is possible that the MIJ version uses a metal helicoid while the MIT uses a plastic helicoid. if thats the case then the MIJ versions are indeed built to a higher quality and will last longer than the MIT counterparts. but this shouldn't be too much of an issue and we don't see the MIT lenses just falling apart..

    what we should be concerned with is the calibration of the lens groups within the lens which might be done to a higher tolerance int he MIJ that MIT which would thus lead to higher image quality. i ll be testing them side by side soon just for fun.
    Just a note bro that on most higher models, you still get color matrix metering with manual lenses. Just not 3d

  20. #20

    Default Re: Nikon 50mm f1.8 Made In China vs Made In Japan

    iPad and iPhone are made in China but people still love them so much.
    How come made in China Nikon lenses are different?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •