Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caculatingl Hyperfocal distance without focus screen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Caculatingl Hyperfocal distance without focus screen

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If the most foreground subject is beyond 3m, wouldn't focusing at infinity will just do the trick? My tokina 11-16's distance scale has only up to 2m before inifinity. I always wonder how to focus at 5m in the above example given by DD123.
    Don't have to be exact. Just estimate. How many times I need to say that. You mean you cannot judge aga aga how far 5-10m is? Just any distance beyond hyperfocal distance will do, then anything from at least 50% of that distance to you to infinity will be in focus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xenith0 View Post
    Just a thought: instead of fiddling with the hyperfocal distance, instead of hunting for that sweet spot, would taking a few shots at different focus points and performing an image stacking be better? I suppose it should work for landscapes just like it should work for macro shots right?
    You are free to experiment with any methods that work for you, no matter how troublesome or unnecessary others may think it is. Hey if it works for you, rocks your boat, go ahead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by symmetrix View Post
    Hyperfocus and normal focusing (mf/af) requires different frames of thought.

Normal focus = I want x, y and z to be in focus (x, y, and z are objects you wanna capture)
    Hyperfocus = I want everything from x to infinity to be in focus (x is some distance, like 10m in front of me)

So as you can see, there's no point in doing AF for hyperfocus, since there's no specific point you wanna focus on. It's a focal setting independent of the scene.
    But you can still use AF, to focus on a point you want to set your focus distance on. Nothing stops you from doing that. If you have enough light, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Don't have to be exact. Just estimate. How many times I need to say that. You mean you cannot judge aga aga how far 5-10m is? Just any distance beyond hyperfocal distance will do, then anything from at least 50% of that distance to you to infinity will be in focus.
    Adding this to what GRBenji had said, I didn't really had to be bothered if I shoot at F8 or smaller aperture and focus at 1m or 2m to get things from 50cm to infinity to be in focus. Was asking how to turn and set focus using the distance scale on the lens at 5m without any distance labeled beyond 2m.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Most of my shots, my hyperfocal distance is seldom beyond 2m.

If you want to light up a cityscape or landscape faraway to focus, you are not using hyperfocal distance anyway, so why start this thread? Please at least read what hyperfocal distance is and understand it first, before making senseless comments like this.
    I did research before starting the thread. Most Websites said that landscape photographers uses hyperfocal distances that is why I'm curious. Sorry still learning.

What if there is a subject in front? Maybe a rock or something in the foreground.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    I did research before starting the thread. Most Websites said that landscape photographers uses hyperfocal distances that is why I'm curious. Sorry still learning.

What if there is a subject in front? Maybe a rock or something in the foreground.
    The whole idea of hyperfocusing is about getting everything from foreground to background in focus. What were mentioned above is to achieve that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Adding this to what GRBenji had said, I didn't really had to be bothered if I shoot at F8 or smaller aperture and focus at 1m or 2m to get things from 50cm to infinity to be in focus. Was asking how to turn and set focus using the distance scale on the lens at 5m without any distance labeled beyond 2m.
    You estimate a spot on the ground that is 5m away. shine a torchlight there if it is too dark. Use spot AF on that spot. And tada, you have your lens focused at estimated 5m.

That is how.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post

I have shared a link above. It explains what it is all about, how to calculate and how to execute hyperfocal distance focusing. As a first step, I encourage you to read it carefully and try to understand it.

Hi, I have an iPhone app that calculates hyper focal distance. Set my camera, coc, lens focal length, and after setting the focal length and aperture, it states the distance 1.9m. Does that mean that anything from half of 1.9m to infinity will be in focus?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Hi, I have an iPhone app that calculates hyper focal distance. Set my camera, coc, lens focal length, and after setting the focal length and aperture, it states the distance 1.9m. Does that mean that anything from half of 1.9m to infinity will be in focus?
    yup. pretty much that is what it means.

yup. pretty much that is what it means.
    Would anything change if I put cpl or nd or gnds in front after the calculation? I suppose no since I'm already in focus?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Would anything change if I put cpl or nd or gnds in front after the calculation? I suppose no since I'm already in focus?
    no difference.

Blog Entries

For those still confused, this is what hyperfocal distance focusing can do for you...

The sand in the lower left corner of the pic is around half meter from the camera only...

Think I better go try later and see what I get. Still very confused.

http://www.great-landscape-photograp...yperfocal.html

Trying to read this and get a better hang of it.
    Last edited by gohjialong; 13th July 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Hi DD...actually I'm quite curious, I also do not have DOF scales on all of my lenses except my the focusing distance on my 10-22. Most of the time I just aga and use the lowest AF or 2nd lowest point, or what some people say, focus 1/3 in the scene. Is there anything technically wrong with this?

I really can't remember what the hyperfocal distance is for which aperture at which focal length..aha. I know they have a calculator http://www.dofmaster.com/charts.html. Maybe I should put in some effort to remember haha.

EDIT:Just saw from your blog that DOFmaster has an iphone..cool. Might get used to it and then can remember! Thanks
    Last edited by Jonathan Ang; 13th July 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang
    Hi DD...actually I'm quite curious, I also do not have DOF scales on all of my lenses except my the focusing distance on my 10-22. Most of the time I just aga and use the lowest AF or 2nd lowest point, or what some people say, focus 1/3 in the scene. Is there anything technically wrong with this?

I really can't remember what the hyperfocal distance is for which aperture at which focal length..aha. I know they have a calculator http://www.dofmaster.com/charts.html. Maybe I should put in some effort to remember haha.
    That can work in some scenes. The 1/3 is the easy way out but you will run into difficulties with scenes like the pic I posted above, where the foreground is very very close.

I have shared a link above. It explains what it is all about, how to calculate and how to execute hyperfocal distance focusing. As a first step, I encourage you to read it carefully and try to understand it.
    Carefully read afew times. I roughly get it. Need to test out first to get the Hang of it

Quote Originally Posted by xenith0 View Post
    But if you really want precise distance measurement I guess the only way would be to use a laser range finder?
    Laser Distance Meter will be more accurate. I got a Leica Disto from Nanyang Instruments from Jalan Besar

Quote Originally Posted by raycsk

Laser Distance Meter will be more accurate. I got a Leica Disto from Nanyang Instruments from Jalan Besar
    Wah... The outdoor version is US$500 online - nearly the price of a new lens. Is hyper focal worth it?

If don't have distance scale, just diy lor..

use masking tape, focus a subject at intervals (30cm, 60cm, 1M, 2M, 3M) then mark down the focus point on the masking tape and you have a distance scale already.
    Last edited by chiangkxv; 15th July 2011 at 09:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast