Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: How to set up Online Photo Gallery?

  1. #1

    Smile How to set up Online Photo Gallery?

    Hello all,

    I have a personal web site and I'm intending to create an online photo gallery, something that looks professional. Not just a simple thumbnail click and view kind.

    Pictures have to be at least 550px in width. Fits nicely into a monitor screen. As I see sometimes when people upload their pictures, its resized such that it cannot be seen entirely in a monitor at once.

    I came across this http://gallery.sourceforge.net/ .

    However, it sounds really really difficult to set up. I believe many sites including Clubsnap and Pbase use this format of PHP galleries to run their online galleries. Is it possible for a home user to use this gallery too?

    Has anyone done it before? Care to share your experiences and how you did it? Or maybe just an alternative to this.

    Btw, I tried PS CS's web photo gallery, its not bad but has some limitations. I'm still experimenting to see if there are better alternatives, if not I guess I'll have to settle with the PS CS one liao.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    I am using the akogallery, running on mamboserver. So far the easiest to use one I came across is one called 'Singapore' which all you need to do to upload photos is FTP the files into folders (on the server). The gallery will use the folder name as the album name. Most of these will be pretty simple, just thumbnails n u click type, and some has slideshows. I have seen some really cool ones, which I think they did in Flash ... too bad I am just to lazy to learn how to do it ...

  3. #3
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default

    Hi Gosu_John,

    The Gallery program from sourceforge that you mentioned is a very good gallery program. It's not that difficult to install if you follow the detailed step-by-step instructions given on the website, and you can install with ftp without the need for shell access. I'd done it before. And yes, of course a home user can use it, as long as you have required webspace available.

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    I concur with ziploc, it's pretty easy to install and setup. A bit leh chey without shell access however, as I prefer to chmod on command line.

    You can consider http://www.datadosen.se/jalbum as well, it comes with skins for you to choose how you want to display your gallery. Skins can be found here - http://jrepository.engblom.org/.

  5. #5

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I concur with ziploc, it's pretty easy to install and setup. A bit leh chey without shell access however, as I prefer to chmod on command line.

    You can consider http://www.datadosen.se/jalbum as well, it comes with skins for you to choose how you want to display your gallery. Skins can be found here - http://jrepository.engblom.org/.
    WOAH! JAAlbum has a particular skin that is PERFECT! the exhibit skin! its one of the skins I was trying to create with PS CS but had a few nagging problems. have yet to install it and check out how easy it is to handle. but so far so good sia...

    still browsing the skins now. hehe

    oh btw, since this JAalbum seems so easy to setup bla bla why are people still using Gallery? are there significant advantages it has over JAAlbum?

    given its 'hard to setup' -ness, pardon my crapo language im surprised pple dont use JAAlbum!

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    jalbum need to be 'regenerated' each time we add new pics right? correct me if i'm wrong. tried that before but forgotten already. if yes, the reason could be for those who needs to upload pics frequently, it is quite troublesome (ok i'm a lazy bum).

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    I'm not too sure, I was about to migrate mine to jalbum, but am too lazy to get my butt around to it... heehee.

  8. #8
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default

    Yup JAlbum needs to be regenerated each time you add pictures. The advantage of JAlbum is that you can make web albums that can be put on CDs for easy viewing. Gosu_John if you like the look of the exhibit skin, you might want to consider using the Exhibit Engine written by Pekka Saarinen. But it does require MySQL to be available on the web server.
    Last edited by ziploc; 21st September 2004 at 03:01 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc
    Yup JAlbum needs to be regenerated each time you add pictures. The advantage of JAlbum is that you can make web albums that can be put on CDs for easy viewing. Gosu_John if you like the look of the exhibit skin, you might want to consider using the Exhibit Engine written by Pekka Saarinen. But it does require MySQL to be available on the web server.
    wa the Banana one looks good sia.

    but needs some tweaking to get it to work. The zip file which you download isn't fool proof.

    Had to poke here poke there change name create folder then can make it work. But at least its working now. Looks good looks good! Still playing around to see how much more it can do.

  10. #10

    Default

    I use Gallery on my site and it's not difficult to install. I also installed the EXIF viewer add-on and configured the Win XP publish feature to publish to my gallery. The documentation included with Gallery tells you how to do all this.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    I use Gallery on my site and it's not difficult to install. I also installed the EXIF viewer add-on and configured the Win XP publish feature to publish to my gallery. The documentation included with Gallery tells you how to do all this.
    ok im done

    check it out here

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gosu_John
    WOAH! JAAlbum has a particular skin that is PERFECT! the exhibit skin! its one of the skins I was trying to create with PS CS but had a few nagging problems. have yet to install it and check out how easy it is to handle. but so far so good sia...

    still browsing the skins now. hehe

    oh btw, since this JAalbum seems so easy to setup bla bla why are people still using Gallery? are there significant advantages it has over JAAlbum?

    given its 'hard to setup' -ness, pardon my crapo language im surprised pple dont use JAAlbum!
    I can't find exhibit skin. Do u mean exhibitplus? can send to me if it's different? Thanks

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Camm
    I can't find exhibit skin. Do u mean exhibitplus? can send to me if it's different? Thanks
    ya apparently they upgraded exhibit liao.

    so its probably known as exhibitplus right now.

  14. #14
    Member Pinkishy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Opera Estate
    Posts
    236

    Default

    wow... i just saw your gallery... you're right.. this layout is very, very cool.. i read through whatever you guys typed... seeing stars

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkishy
    wow... i just saw your gallery... you're right.. this layout is very, very cool.. i read through whatever you guys typed... seeing stars

    hey nice site but taking too long to download!!

  16. #16

    Default

    I saw someone mention this site recently it looks like a clean but cool design. http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

    Btw what are you guys using for webhosting and how much does it cost?

  17. #17
    Member Pinkishy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Opera Estate
    Posts
    236

    Default

    i've got my own webhost.. 100/yr i think..yes. it's $100/year..



    Gosu.. thanks.. yeah.. i know it's long.. i'm just too lazy to do the preloader in flash to speed things up..and i've been working on the content for 2 years.. hah! been too lazy.. i've been doing webdesign for other clients.. so got quite sick of it

    I want to try the album thing though.. but after reading through what you guys typed.. geez.

    Is there any programming or code writing involved? No way to get rid of that banana splash thingy at the start of the album too?

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    me tink u gotta pay 'em to get rid of the banana.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkishy
    i've got my own webhost.. 100/yr i think..yes. it's $100/year..



    Gosu.. thanks.. yeah.. i know it's long.. i'm just too lazy to do the preloader in flash to speed things up..and i've been working on the content for 2 years.. hah! been too lazy.. i've been doing webdesign for other clients.. so got quite sick of it

    I want to try the album thing though.. but after reading through what you guys typed.. geez.

    Is there any programming or code writing involved? No way to get rid of that banana splash thingy at the start of the album too?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    me tink u gotta pay 'em to get rid of the banana.
    ya loh bobian... unless your flash is pro enough to do something like that just copy what he did loh. ahahah

  20. #20

    Default

    gallery is simple to use, open source, and very easy to modify. recently i just modified a site to accept orders with little changes to orginal code and adding of several files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •