Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking Street Shots/candid/portraits

Default Re: Taking Street Shots/candid/portraits

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    start with the lousier version of 70-200 first? then slowly upgrade!
    er... you mean EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM?
    Love the life you live, live the life you love - DreamszPhoto

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz

er... you mean EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM?
    Ya start with f4 non is first? You can slowly upgrade after that as and when you want.

Different FL give a different take to the shots you will make.
    A longer FL gives more working distance and usually more subject isolation due to the tighter crop and shallow DOF.
    A shorter FL gives more context to the subject as it takes in more of the surroundings and has more DOF.

A longer FL lens is usually more obvious to the subject that you are tracking him/her because of the tighter FOV.
    A shorter FL allows you to shoot pre-focused due to it having more DOF to compensate for focus inaccuracy. You can also easily appear to shoot straight, while in fact your intended subject is to your side.

So there is no best lens. A long lens is not the absolute 'correct' answer to street/candid shots.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Different FL give a different take to the shots you will make.
    A longer FL gives more working distance and usually more subject isolation due to the tighter crop and shallow DOF.
    A shorter FL gives more context to the subject as it takes in more of the surroundings and has more DOF.

A longer FL lens is usually more obvious to the subject that you are tracking him/her because of the tighter FOV.
    A shorter FL allows you to shoot pre-focused due to it having more DOF to compensate for focus inaccuracy. You can also easily appear to shoot straight, while in fact your intended subject is to your side.

So there is no best lens. A long lens is not the absolute 'correct' answer to street/candid shots.
    Very true. Thanks for lighting up my thoughts.

How to take nice street photos? Buy Royale with Cheese or Ttloong a beer, and beg them to teach u haha

Quote Originally Posted by skarekrow24 View Post
    How to take nice street photos? Buy Royale with Cheese or Ttloong a beer, and beg them to teach u haha
    I think needs alot of sessions of beer in order to master 1/5 of their skill.

Try using a good compact like LX3, Ricoh GRD3 to start off with, people are less conscious of compacts taking their pictures. You can sort of build up confidence from there.

I'm a rangefinder person.

I started out with 50mm standard lenses:

Then went wide with 35mm:

These days I'm down to 21mm, wider & nearer:

The rest of the lenses 24-70 F2.8, 70-200 F4 or F2.8, seriously, across the road already you are already attracting attention, everyone can see your big lens.

Long tele lens = observer
    nice short wide prime = participant

You can debate that shooting with a tele you can also can get good shots but honestly, till the day you have tried close up shooting, you will never really understand the meaning of being a participant in the photo making process.

The other thing is just my own anal point, I dont believe in hip shooting. Yes sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt....
    My logic behind it is why waste a frame when you can shoot it right by looking through the VF then trying to a method which is a stab in the dark really.
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 12th July 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skarekrow24 View Post
    Bro you also good lei! Dont hide!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz View Post
    I think needs alot of sessions of beer in order to master 1/5 of their skill.
    lol.. by the time u finish learning, you got no $ left for extra tele lenses.. lol
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    anyway, i think that carrying your dslr with a long big white tube walking around creates enough awareness already. dont you guys think so? and in this case it will get hard to be stealthy or be able to take your good shots without the subject noticing.
    In that case, would be time to get close to the subjects. If you think the subjects may suspect you are photographing, it does help to have some skill in misdirecting their attention. example...

problem is the hit rate of getting sharp picture is much lower compared to having them pose but when you do get a good one...the feeling is golden.
    Last edited by Reportage; 12th July 2011 at 10:40 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage

In that case, would be time to get close to the subjects. If you think the subjects may suspect you are photographing, it does help to have some skill in misdirecting their attention. example...
    Don't really uds what you mean with that picture sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post

problem is the hit rate of getting sharp picture is much lower compared to having them pose but when you do get a good one...the feeling is golden.
    pretending to be shooting something else you mean?

to be honest, the bestest tool i can think of to shoot candid / portraits these days is an iphone. or any phone camera you have.

non intrusive, light, and great enough for the "feel" factor.

many people will actually smile infront of your iphone camera!

Most times, it's not the strangers that's the problem. It's our own self consciousness.
    It's better not to worry too much, use whatever lens you have, go out and just shoot. Smile if the stranger notices you, and explain politely if they approach you. In fact, pass them a card and promise to send them a shot after you'd processed it.
    You'd be surprised at the result.

It's very true, K. Most of the time, its our self conscious.. Good point n great tip n advice..
    Thanx for sharing man..
    Shoot first, think later

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_K View Post
    Most times, it's not the strangers that's the problem. It's our own self consciousness.
    It's better not to worry too much, use whatever lens you have, go out and just shoot. Smile if the stranger notices you, and explain politely if they approach you. In fact, pass them a card and promise to send them a shot after you'd processed it.
    Actually this is a very good idea leh. Pass them a card so they wont think we trying to shoot them and do some senseless thingy. I like this idea too! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_K View Post
    *Like*
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    Try using a good compact like LX3, Ricoh GRD3 to start off with, people are less conscious of compacts taking their pictures. You can sort of build up confidence from there.

Long tele lens = observer
    nice short wide prime = participant

You can debate that shooting with a tele you can also can get good shots but honestly, till the day you have tried close up shooting, you will never really understand the meaning of being a participant in the photo making process.

This is golden advice, I also swear by this principle as I never believed in using long glass and snipe from far. Although the moment is captured but obviously the feel is very different, it does not give one (or at least me lah) a sense of involvement and intimacy with the surrounding, and like RWC. I find myself switching to wider focal lengths as time goes by. I did alot of 50mm, then slowly it went wider to 35mm and now I usually prefer the 25-28mm on my tammy.

The best thing is to dont think so much, just shoot. No pain no gain!
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    pretending to be shooting something else you mean?
    Nope, i was employing misdirection. basically i was literally shooting from the hip in a sense shooting blind with just a guess-timate of how the picture would be like.

read about this way of street shooting and it did seem more exciting compared to asking people to pose. That way, can capture them doing everyday stuff naturally just that no guarantee of what you will get.

Then again if not the patient sort or hate surprises in your pics, posed pics has a higher hit rate.
    Last edited by Reportage; 13th July 2011 at 10:54 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Nope, i was employing misdirection. basically i was literally shooting from the hip in a sense shooting blind with just a guess-timate of how the picture would be like.

read about this way of street shooting and it did seem more exciting compared to asking people to pose. That way, can capture them doing everyday stuff naturally just that no guarantee of what you will get.

Then again if not the patient sort or hate surprises in your pics, posed pics has a higher hit rate.
    that's not misdirection -.-

that's just you pretending not to be shooting him. and that's called a pretense.

in no way were you purposefully distracting him from your main intent. he didn't even know you were shooting. so you can't call it misdirection because you weren't engaging him in any sensory perception

what's misdirection? look up sleight of hand on google.
    Last edited by kei1309; 14th July 2011 at 10:28 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast