Thread: Nikon 17-55 kit lens vs Sigma 17-50 F2.8 lens

Default Nikon 17-55 kit lens vs Sigma 17-50 F2.8 lens

Anyone here other than me feels that the Nikon's kit lens 17-55 (comes with my D3100) has better/richer colors and clarity/sharpness as compared to other 3rd party lenses? In this case i did some shots with my kit lens and my 2nd hand Sigma 17-55mm F2.8 lens, and felt that the colors looked nicer on my kit lens as well as sharpness, the Sigma 17-55mm F2.8 lens has it's perks you can open the aperture wide but in terms of colors and sharpness seems to lose out to a kit lens.
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

Default Re: Nikon 17-55 kit lens vs Sigma 17-50 F2.8 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    Anyone here other than me feels that the Nikon's kit lens 17-55 (comes with my D3100) has better/richer colors and clarity/sharpness as compared to other 3rd party lenses? In this case i did some shots with my kit lens and my 2nd hand Sigma 17-55mm F2.8 lens, and felt that the colors looked nicer on my kit lens as well as sharpness, the Sigma 17-55mm F2.8 lens has it's perks you can open the aperture wide but in terms of colors and sharpness seems to lose out to a kit lens.
    I think you mean the 18-55 kit lens and the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 lens, please be clearer when you name the lenses. Richer colours can be set in the body and you can do so during PP so there's no issue. Sharpness wise, did you check on front/rear focusing issues? Sigma lenses are prone to focusing issues and you can actually calibrated the lens.

The differences can have other causes, as long as we don't know your shooting conditions and settings it's pointless. And finally, there is post-processing where the impact is much bigger than what a lens can do. Actually, lenses are not supposed to change colours... unless one uses filters.
    EOS

If nikon uses the 17-55 as kit lens they would close down.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    If Nikon use the 17-55 as kit lens, I wonder how many people will jump ship

Not sure how you did the comparsion...... did you take the same object with background with the same setting on both lens and compare?

The kit lens for D3100 is 18-55mm, not 17-55mm..... the 17-55mm F2.8 nikon supposed to be a pro DX lens.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    This will be the kit lens for D9s..................................
    Take the shot!

as long you pay enough money, you can ask to have a 17-55f2.8 and 70-200f2.8 to be a twin lens kit for your camera.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

oops sry it's the 18-55 kit lens. basically I placed a subject on my dinning table and my camera resting on the table as well to prevent camera shake and took pictures at the 35mm f5.6 and f8 with all 3 of my lenses. then I reviewed the pics on my laptop cause my D3100's LCD is not sharp enough.
    [Chasing the Light]

I'm a poor photographer so I can't afford those kinda fast lenses haha. was thinking of using my 35mm 1.8G as my primary lens (love the shots taken by this lens!) and if I am approached to so group shots then I will swap to my kit lens for the 18mm. haha super budget.. no $$ for 10-24 lens =P
    [Chasing the Light]

oops sry it's the 18-55 kit lens. basically I placed a subject on my dinning table and my camera resting on the table as well to prevent camera shake and took pictures at the 35mm f5.6 and f8 with all 3 of my lenses. then I reviewed the pics on my laptop cause my D3100's LCD is not sharp enough.
    Sounds like taken under indoor conditions.. even with fluorescent light? What was your white balance setting? That's already a big point where difference can come from. Next: is your laptop decently calibrated to show you what the camera has recorded? If not .. well the results might not be what you see there. Keep in mind: the camera when using automatic settings (not only Auto Mode) will always make adjustments. Whatever tiny difference could come from the lenses will be overruled by adjustments in the camera during jpg conversion.
    Last edited by Octarine; 11th July 2011 at 02:05 PM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    not true mah
    I remember Canon did sell or still sells a 'kit' which comprises the 5DmkII and the 24-105 L. There was no inclination on my part to jump ship.

Nikon could easily bundle a D7000/D300s + 17-55/2.8 as a "wedding kit", though presumably their marketing boffins decided that it didn't make sense
    Exploring! :)

Did you shoot in RAW? If you didn't, perhaps the camera's JPG processing engine processed the images slightly differently.

If your camera was just resting on the table, I suppose it would have shifted when you took it in your hands to change lenses. Just wondering if your focus point fell on the same spot when you placed the camera back down on the table and re-composed.

Small things like that can and will make a difference.
    Perhaps you can upload the photos and link here for comparison?
    Exploring! :)