Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Full Frame Camera?

Default Re: Why Full Frame Camera?

I have tried my 5d2 with 17-40L and 16-35L for landscape at f6-f10, but the right and left side of the photos seems to be not too sharp.
    It's very wide especially on 16mm but the distortion was very obvious on the left and right side of the photos.
    on my 40d never give me any distortion problems and i like to take lanscape photos.
    I don't have problems doing portraits on 5d2 with prime lens photos were too sharps even on night time with very good bokeh.
    canon 50D/ 18-55mm IS/50mm F1.8II/sigma 24-70mm EX GD HSM/Speedlite 580 EX II

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loveko View Post
    I have tried my 5d2 with 17-40L and 16-35L for landscape at f6-f10, but the right and left side of the photos seems to be not too sharp.
    It's very wide especially on 16mm but the distortion was very obvious on the left and right side of the photos.
    on my 40d never give me any distortion problems and i like to take lanscape photos.
    I don't have problems doing portraits on 5d2 with prime lens photos were too sharps even on night time with very good bokeh.
    Which lens did you use on your 40D when shooting landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    which lens did you use on your 40d when shooting landscape?
    16-35L Mark 1. Not too sure if mark II better.
    Last edited by loveko; 10th July 2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: complete

Blog Entries

16-35L Mark 1. Not too sure if mark II better.
    You need to understand one thing.

40D + 16-35: widest is 16mm on 1.6x crop. FOV is similar to 26mm.
    5Dm2 + 16-35: widest is 16mm on 1x crop (no crop). FOV is 16mm.

So to really compare, you need to zoom the 16-35 to 26mm on 5Dm2, then you compare the picture to 40D at 16mm. Previously you were talking about 2 kinds of wideness. The wider it is, the more distortion you will get. If you put a 10-22 on the 40D and shoot at 10mm, you will get the same wideness as the 5Dm2 at 16mm. Then you compare.

If you do not understand what I am talking about here. Just stick to your 40D. One day you will understand. And you might want to go back to a full frame by then.

And if you are wondering, yes, the mark 2 of the 16-35/2.8 is much better than the mark 1. Especially when you use it on a FF camera like 5dm2.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th July 2011 at 11:50 AM.

You need to understand one thing.

40D + 16-35: widest is 16mm on 1.6x crop. FOV is similar to 26mm.
    5Dm2 + 16-35: widest is 16mm on 1x crop (no crop). FOV is 16mm.
    Obviously i Know about this thing. What will be the used of wide angle in FF camera if corners of the photos suffers a lot of distortion.
    Seems to be useless. For best results, I normally set my 16-35L lens at 20mm for most of my landscape with the 5d2 just to avoid the distortion.
    Last edited by loveko; 10th July 2011 at 12:10 PM.

Obviously i Know about this thing. What will be the used of wide angle in FF camera if corners of the photos suffers a lot of distortion.
    Seems to be useless. For best results, I normally set my 16-35L lens at 20mm for most of my landscape with the 5d2 just to avoid the distortion.
    The distortion is something you must learn to manage if you want to use a UWA effectively. No point buying a UWA and only using the semi wide focal lengths. It's like buying a f1.4 prime and shooting at f8 all the time. All UWAs will distort at the corners, and I suggest you learn how to either avoid that distortion or use it creatively. That way, you will find yourself shooting more and more at the widest end of any wide angle lens.
    Last edited by brapodam; 10th July 2011 at 12:18 PM.

If budget not a big factor canon 14 f2.8L II will be best option for my landscape photography.
    I have tried this lens from a friend before with my 5d2, it's a very sharp lens. For me it's a very perfect lens for the FF camera.

Blog Entries

It is not just FF. even on a cropped frame camera like 40D, there will be the same distortions if you use a 10-22mm and shoot at 10mm.
    Useless? I don't it useless. In the end, it really depends on the user to know how to use the focal lengths to his/her advantage and handle the inherent characteristics and distortions. Do not confuse lack of skill or inability to achieve that, with the failure in equipment.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th July 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries

If budget not a big factor canon 14 f2.8L II will be best option for my landscape photography.
    I have tried this lens from a friend before with my 5d2, it's a very sharp lens. For me it's a very perfect lens for the FF camera.
    And how did you manage the distortions of the 14mm on your 5dm2?

And how did you manage the distortions of the 14mm on your 5dm2?
    With 14mm lens, all throughout the photos i never encounter any distortion. The only thing issue is the flaring esp during day time. But it serves me well for my nightscapes photos.

Blog Entries

With 14mm lens, all throughout the photos i never encounter any distortion. The only thing issue is the flaring esp during day time. But it serves me well for my nightscapes photos.
    There is still some barrel distortion. And with wide lenses you cannot get away from keystone distortion. With the 16-35 @ 16, there is slightly more barrel distortion, but it is still correctable easily if you know how.

So, according to your own points, the 5dm2 is not as useless as you said. And UWA are not as useless either.

Which makes me wonder what you are trying to say, if anything at all.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th July 2011 at 12:53 PM.

There is still some barrel distortion. And with wide lenses you cannot get away from keystone distortion. With the 16-35 @ 16, there is slightly more barrel distortion, but it is still correctable easily if you know how.

So, according to your own points, the 5dm2 is not as useless as you said. And UWA are not as useless either.

Which makes me wonder what you are trying to say, if anything at all.
    Actually distortion can easily corrected through CS cos i do graphics design/ 3d max/ 3d cad. But too lazy to do it, unless someone push me to do it with returns. hehe.
    If photos only can be sold why not.

Of course 5d2 not useless, but money matters lah. To be practical enough, will not go through the FF camera, just to experience using this camera would be enough.
    Last edited by loveko; 10th July 2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loveko

Actually distortion can easily corrected through CS cos i do graphics design/ 3d max/ 3d cad. But too lazy to do it, unless someone push me to do it with returns. hehe.

Of course 5d2 not useless, but money matters lah. To be practical enough, will not go through the FF camera, just to experience using this camera would be enough.
    We all like our photos to be as perfect as we can make it. If you don't enjoy editing it then just leave it. Whether you want FF or cropped is up to u too.

Blog Entries

Yup. Being practical and making a decision is a personal choice. But to say something is useless, like how you mentioned UWA lenses on FF are, is just being overboard.

Since you like shooting landscapes, FF does give you some advantages in dynamic range, RAW file flexibility as well as much lower noise compared to crop frame sensors. And apart from landscapes, FF are very good at portraits too, with the shallower DoF for the same FOV, as well as better low light capability.

In the end you have to evaluate your needs and parameters to make equipment choices. You seem to have already done so, and the 40D is a great choice. But that said, that is your choice. Putting down other things you have not decided on, like FF cameras or 16-35, just goes to show a glimpse into your level of understanding (or lack of) of the whole subject.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th July 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Any other reason of upgrading from non-full frame to full frame?
    lesser shots needed for one panorama of course! haha

Well we can argue all we want but end of the day if u understand n appreciate FF or hv too much money then get a FF, else get a CF which is nothing wrong anyway.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Someone doing a school project on this topic ???
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

The subject should be "why need a bigger sensor".
    For me, Looking back at pictures taken with crop.... And compare to FF, I think it is difficult to go back again.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

I have never use a CF before. My first DSLR camera is a D700. The only dsadvantage that I can think of for FF is you will need a much longer Telezoom lens for birdie photography........

because my 50mm lenses works as 50mm lenses! same goes for all the fantastic AI/AIS/Pre-AI glass there is out there. that would be a cheaper option for canon users as well. they re really top knotch. the 28 2.8, 35 f2 (O version), all the 50s, 5.8 1.4, 85 1.4/1.8, 105 1.8/2.5, 135f2 to name afew..
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast