Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd photographer!!

Default 2nd photographer!!

My friend ask me to be 2nd photographer for her wedding. How much should I charge? I am still quite new to wedding photography so I don't expect much but how should I charge? For 2 days.

If friend why not do it for free? Since you are not that experience too.

Default Re: 2nd photographer!!

Iirc its about $70/hour for second photographer.
    My photo page: TDR Photography

Take it as a learning opportunity and don't charge anything. Until you are good enugh, then think of charging other people.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    If friend why not do it for free? Since you are not that experience too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Take it as a learning opportunity and don't charge anything. Until you are good enugh, then think of charging other people.
    "If you are good at something never do it for free." - Joker

But you're not good yet, so yeah. lol

Kiddings aside, if your friend is willing to pay, I'd say don't deny this person of a side income. Charge what both of you feel comfortable with. But if charging will put a strain on your relationship, don't do it. Your friendship and the experience will be much more valuable that what you'll get paid for.
    Last edited by symmetrix; 8th July 2011 at 10:12 AM.

I think if I am you, I will do it for free because I am being 'paid' for being given a chance to practice and experience on being a wedding photographer. It might not be nice to ask for a fee unless you friend asked you how much you want to charge. Even so, I would probably say "if you insist, just give me an ang bao will do."

The moment you charge a fee, then you must be able to produce quality photos to their satisfaction. So if you are not that experienced or confident then maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    I think if I am you, I will do it for free because I am being 'paid' for being given a chance to practice and experience on being a wedding photographer. It might not be nice to ask for a fee unless you friend asked you how much you want to charge. Even so, I would probably say "if you insist, just give me an ang bao will do."

The moment you charge a fee, then you must be able to produce quality photos to their satisfaction. So if you are not that experienced or confident then maybe not.
    Yup... My first "assignment" was Ang Bao based. Put effort into it. And no matter the amount... Be happy.. cos you were paid to do something you'd otherwise spend money to do anyway.

Usually an ang bao is routine. How much depends on individual liao. Is your friend rich? Hehe
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

Thanks ppl! Anyways my friend approached me as she received some bad news re the main photographer so she want me to do backup photographer in case the main photographer doesnt turn up etc. Anyways we agree for her to give me angbao as she say she wanted to pay me for my hardwork.

Quote Originally Posted by babetrice View Post
    Thanks ppl! Anyways my friend approached me as she received some bad news re the main photographer so she want me to do backup photographer in case the main photographer doesnt turn up etc. Anyways we agree for her to give me angbao as she say she wanted to pay me for my hardwork.
    In case the main photographer doesn't turn up? I suggest you ask your friend to change the photographer. He/she is unreliable. What if he/she really didn't turn up? Wedding ruined. Not that you don't have the skill yet, it's because weddings are not an easy task. You need someone who is experienced and committed. From what i see in your post, that main photographer doesn't seem to be committed to his/her job.

Erm she is actually on tight budget thus she asked me for help. And the thing is she already paid the photographer in full and he is not willing to do a refund so she wants me to help her in case he didn't do his job.

Erm she is actually on tight budget thus she asked me for help. And the thing is she already paid the photographer in full and he is not willing to do a refund so she wants me to help her in case he didn't do his job.
    Wait, the photographer took the money, not doing a refund, and DOESN'T turn up?

Okay, if he didn't do his job and took the money, it's considered money fraud. Your friend didn't check his portfolio? weather it's good enough? There are alot of photographers out there always up to no good. Your friend shouldn't give the photog the full amount first. Now he thinks he's got the money he can slack already. ask the your friend and her fiance to confront the guy and make it clear. Weddings are only once in a lifetime and it can't afford to ruin the ceremony!

have you covered or taken any wedding(s) before?

I will say, Do it for free. It will be a very big learning experience for you.

Besides,
    1) You SHOULD get angpao for helping out. (Unless ur fren buey paiseh la, even the driver gets angpao also)
    2) Your relationship with ur fren will improve even more
    3) She asked you because she trusts u & thinks u are able to get the job done.

Just put disclaimer say u are not liable if the shots turn out bad
    Nikon D7000 + MB-D11 | Tamron 17-50 VC | SB-700 |

Firstly, second photographers works for the main photographer and is bound contractually to follow his instructions, the chain of command is clear.

If you are hired by the couple independent of the main photographer, then you are not the "2nd photog". If you are a real pro, you are another main photog, if you are a hobbyist friend or relative, you are known as 'uncle bob' in the industry. Either way it puts a conflict of interest into the job and some couples do not realize it is to the detrimental of both hired pros' performance. Usually the higher end pros would have agreed in contract about the exclusivity that no other photogs be hired, whether pro or hobbyist. The exception is Malay weddings where receptions are held in two places, but still no problem becoz both pros cover different places, and it's also a common thing.

there are probably bad feelings between the hired photog and your friend so my advice is bring your cam and if the guy shows up then don't be uncle bob, it's going to put a tension on a already tensed situation, but if he doesn't show up you can save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB

Firstly, second photographers works for the main photographer and is bound contractually to follow his instructions, the chain of command is clear.

If you are hired by the couple independent of the main photographer, then you are not the "2nd photog". If you are a real pro, you are another main photog, if you are a hobbyist friend or relative, you are known as 'uncle bob' in the industry. Either way it puts a conflict of interest into the job and some couples do not realize it is to the detrimental of both hired pros' performance. Usually the higher end pros would have agreed in contract about the exclusivity that no other photogs be hired, whether pro or hobbyist. The exception is Malay weddings where receptions are held in two places, but still no problem becoz both pros cover different places, and it's also a common thing.

there are probably bad feelings between the hired photog and your friend so my advice is bring your cam and if the guy shows up then don't be uncle bob, it's going to put a tension on a already tensed situation, but if he doesn't show up you can save the day.
    Thanks for your reply. It's a Malay wedding fyi. Anyways I will just do it as a favour for my friend since she has approached me to help her. And I am not a pro, I am still learning and improving myself so I will take the opportunity to do my best. I have previously took pictures for another Malay friend and she have seen my work and like it thus she asked me for help

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

Okay, if he didn't do his job and took the money, it's considered money fraud. Your friend didn't check his portfolio? weather it's good enough? There are alot of photographers out there always up to no good. Your friend shouldn't give the photog the full amount first. Now he thinks he's got the money he can slack already. ask the your friend and her fiance to confront the guy and make it clear. Weddings are only once in a lifetime and it can't afford to ruin the ceremony!
    I guess before that he is quite popular and stuff but she told me he was recently being complained in the Malay newspaper. And they confronted the photographer to ask for refund and stuff but he refused to do so and ask them to trust him and all. So she got no choice but to ask me to help her in case anything happen.

Quote Originally Posted by zelot
    have you covered or taken any wedding(s) before?
    I did 2 before but I just doing it as a side photographer. 1 Chinese and 1 Malay wedding. And I recently helped a friend to take her son 1st bday too!!

I guess before that he is quite popular and stuff but she told me he was recently being complained in the Malay newspaper. And they confronted the photographer to ask for refund and stuff but he refused to do so and ask them to trust him and all. So she got no choice but to ask me to help her in case anything happen.
    Wah sounds jialak, what he was complained about on newspaper? Many many years ago my Malay friend on her wedding day her photog also never turn up. When they called, he say he forgot (his not the collect money in advance type) and he already shooting another wedding. That's why it's good to put deposit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast