Thread: Canít MKV be shared via DLNA?

Default Canít MKV be shared via DLNA?

I tried to share the videos on different devices via DLNA. I find the format MKV canít be seen in any other devices except the one it belongs to. Whatís the problem?

Default Re: Canít MKV be shared via DLNA?

Quote Originally Posted by sylvanas1147 View Post
    I tried to share the videos on different devices via DLNA. I find the format MKV can’t be seen in any other devices except the one it belongs to. What’s the problem?
    Have you try renaming the mkv file to mpg? Found that solution in one of the forum (http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Sto...yer/td-p/37793).

Apart from the point that your question is off-topic... if files cannot be seen it can have multiple reasons. Likely that it is filtered out, especially when the device is preparing a directory listing based on known file types and extensions. Do also check ownership and access permissions at file level.
    EOS

Thread moved to KPT.

coldwilson2011
    Guests

MKV can't be shared via DLNA. I have tested once. There is an easy way to solve it: pick a converter software.Search on the net, you will find thousands of such softwares!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Have you try renaming the mkv file to mpg? Found that solution in one of the forum (http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Sto...yer/td-p/37793).
    Renaming MKV to MPG could be a try. The post also indicates that MKV could be the container of different codec. DLNA does not support MKV. So the solutions for you now:
    1. Copy the MKV videos to external drive, and play it on media player when you want to watch them.

2. Convert MKV to DLNA supported formats like .mp4, .wmv, .mov. Then you can enjoy the videos via DLNA.