Thread: Do you guys put your compacts in dry box?

Default Do you guys put your compacts in dry box?

I know that DSLRs are prone to fungus and thus they must be kept in dry box, but how about compacts? Is it better to place them in to prevent it as well or is it OK to just place them anywhere and the humidity does not spoil the camera over time?

Default Re: Do you guys put your compacts in dry box?

If u have room in your cabinet.
    why not. just keep it in there. hmm at least i did.

What is the difference between a DSLR and a Compact camera that makes the latter one less prone to fungus? Fungus is not picky, whatever is there will be seeded...
    EOS

I didn't for my lx5. I just take it with me everywhere i go and if i won't be taking it out it will be resting on my table.

Yes. Force of habit. Fungus or no fungus, I don't care. I just dump 'em all in.

Quote Originally Posted by eedwinn View Post
    I know that DSLRs are prone to fungus and thus they must be kept in dry box, but how about compacts? Is it better to place them in to prevent it as well or is it OK to just place them anywhere and the humidity does not spoil the camera over time?
    It is better to put compacts into dry cabinet as well, but loads of people don't put inside dry cabinets and for the most part, it takes quite a while before the compacts develop fungus (if they do at all).

Do note that while compacts are usually sealed more tightly than DSLR (which is also why they don't usually get dust on the sensor), they are not airtight. So yes, fungus can materialise in compact cameras.

I just keep my camera related stuffs for convenience in the dry box.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I just keep my camera related stuffs for convenience in the dry box.
    +1 thats what i did also haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

Nope....i didn't put my compact in the dry cabinet. After reading this, think i better start now.

I put... got space so why not. Don't put dry cab still working, so might as well put, maximize my 4w or 5w of electricity I'm paying.

Thanks, I have a compact camera which my sis uses regularly so I'm not sure if it would be better to keep it there since she will open up the cabinet every time she uses it. So I was thinking it might be more harm than good esp when that means the cabinet will not be able to keep a stable humidity level.

Quote Originally Posted by eedwinn
    Thanks, I have a compact camera which my sis uses regularly so I'm not sure if it would be better to keep it there since she will open up the cabinet every time she uses it. So I was thinking it might be more harm than good esp when that means the cabinet will not be able to keep a stable humidity level.
    If you use it regularly than don't need.

the fungus told me that my DSLR lenses are more juicy than my Compacts.... so it skipped my compacts and tried to live in my drybox.... but it died instead.

i was so sad

Quote Originally Posted by eedwinn View Post
    Actually, i think you can still put it in the cabinet. Unless she open it several times a day.

the glass elements of the lens for the compact camera are so small, if have fungus grow on it, it can cover most part of the lens, as if let say the same size of the fungus colony grow on a DLSR lens, it will only consider a small part infested.

it does make sense to store compact camera into dry cabinet.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio