Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: some enquires, dirt inside lens

  1. #1

    Default some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Hi guys,

    I recently just bought Canon EOS 600D Kit 1 (18-55mm f3.5-5.6). And yesterday I realised that inside my lens there are ONE dirt inside my lens and it cannot be removed, unless I send it to canon service centre for cleaning. This afternoon I contacted Canon service hotline and question them regarding the dirt I had in my lens. Below is what they replied me.


    Dear Jeffrey Pang,



    Thank you for your enquiry.
    It is normal for lens to have some dust inside the lens elements but it will not affect the image taken.
    Alternatively, you could send in the lens to our Customer Service Centre for checking at:



    No 1 HarbourFront Avenue

    #04-01 Keppel Bay Tower

    Singapore 098632

    Tel: (65) 67998686

    Operating Hours: Mon to Fri, 9.30am to 7pm

    Closed on Sat, Sun & Public Holiday



    There is no assessment charge for checking and it will takes about 7 or more working days depending on spare parts availability. There is an additional express charge of $42.80 within 1 working day and $26.75 within 3 working days.

    PS: For warranty service, please bring along the Canon warranty card or printout the "On-Line" hardcopy with proof of purchased receipt for verification.

    The Terms & Conditions of Warranty does not covers cleaning, maintenance and accidental damaged of camera and lens, only on manufacturer's defects.





    *My question is, is it normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens? and will the dirt/dust affect my photography image quality? If it isnt normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens, does it means its a defects lens?



    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Quote Originally Posted by xbottyx View Post
    Hi guys,

    I recently just bought Canon EOS 600D Kit 1 (18-55mm f3.5-5.6). And yesterday I realised that inside my lens there are ONE dirt inside my lens and it cannot be removed, unless I send it to canon service centre for cleaning. This afternoon I contacted Canon service hotline and question them regarding the dirt I had in my lens. Below is what they replied me.


    Dear Jeffrey Pang,



    Thank you for your enquiry.
    It is normal for lens to have some dust inside the lens elements but it will not affect the image taken.
    Alternatively, you could send in the lens to our Customer Service Centre for checking at:



    No 1 HarbourFront Avenue

    #04-01 Keppel Bay Tower

    Singapore 098632

    Tel: (65) 67998686

    Operating Hours: Mon to Fri, 9.30am to 7pm

    Closed on Sat, Sun & Public Holiday



    There is no assessment charge for checking and it will takes about 7 or more working days depending on spare parts availability. There is an additional express charge of $42.80 within 1 working day and $26.75 within 3 working days.

    PS: For warranty service, please bring along the Canon warranty card or printout the "On-Line" hardcopy with proof of purchased receipt for verification.

    The Terms & Conditions of Warranty does not covers cleaning, maintenance and accidental damaged of camera and lens, only on manufacturer's defects.





    *My question is, is it normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens? and will the dirt/dust affect my photography image quality? If it isnt normal for dirt/dust to get into my lens, does it means its a defects lens?



    Thanks
    It's extremely common for dust to be inside a lens, if it does not affect the image taken, you don't have to worry about it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    spree86, thx for your advice finally i can have a peace of mind :P

  4. #4

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Yeah actually it is quite common to have tiny dust inside lens especially kit lens which is not water or dust sealed. But if your lens is weather sealed like most of the "L" series lenses than there shouldn't be dust in your lens especially newly bought ones. That is what I notice on my lenses.
    | 5D Mark III | 24-70mm F2.8L MK II | 70-200mm F2.8L IS MK II | 600 EX-RT | Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG (A) |

  5. #5

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Yeah actually it is quite common to have tiny dust inside lens especially kit lens which is not water or dust sealed. But if your lens is weather sealed like most of the "L" series lenses than there shouldn't be dust in your lens especially newly bought ones. That is what I notice on my lenses.
    Even for weather sealed lenses, fine dust and sand still can get in

  6. #6

    Default

    If every dust u go for cleaning . Probably u need to send in after every alt usage
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Yeah actually it is quite common to have tiny dust inside lens especially kit lens which is not water or dust sealed. But if your lens is weather sealed like most of the "L" series lenses than there shouldn't be dust in your lens especially newly bought ones. That is what I notice on my lenses.
    Well, more robust sealing should help keep more dust away, but dust is everywhere. Impossible to avoid. Even clean-rooms have dust, just that the density (ppm) is very very small.
    Exploring! :)

  8. #8

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    On my zoomed lens I see 2 black specks ~ 0.5mm or smaller (not the transparent dust we are talking about) at the sides.. it does not show up in IQ and the pictures taken still as sharp.

    Just also bought a new NIKON 50mm 1.8G lens locally... now 3 days later already got dust so it cannot be prevented one

  9. #9

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Quote Originally Posted by DM101 View Post
    On my zoomed lens I see 2 black specks ~ 0.5mm or smaller (not the transparent dust we are talking about) at the sides.. it does not show up in IQ and the pictures taken still as sharp.

    Just also bought a new NIKON 50mm 1.8G lens locally... now 3 days later already got dust so it cannot be prevented one
    BTW anyone could have a clue where these 2 BLACK specks could come from ? Dust are transparent but these are opaque

  10. #10
    Member crystal1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan, Tokyo
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Show pictures? Otherwise we don't know what you are talking about.

  11. #11
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Quote Originally Posted by DM101 View Post
    BTW anyone could have a clue where these 2 BLACK specks could come from ? Dust are transparent but these are opaque
    It can be anything... stain, really big dirt (dust), fungus... like what Crystal said... show us some pics.

  12. #12
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    Aiyo, if it doesn't show up in IQ, and it doesn't look spider-web like, then I won't worry la.

    Just take pictures, if you spend so much time examining the little nooks and crannies in all your equipment you just add a whole load of headache and fuss and basically it is a waste of time because it amounts to nothing - if these things don't affect your image.

  13. #13
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    just ignore if it doesnt affect your IQ lo.. i got dust on my lens also..

    dust is everywhere hahaha
    Lousy de My Flickr

  14. #14

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    i have dust in one of my my weather sealed lens too
    doesn't affect IQ

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: some enquires, dirt inside lens

    you gotta check out my 17-35.. its like the milky way. haha!
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •