Thread: Weddimg table group photo

Default Weddimg table group photo

Just to check, which focal length is suitable for a typical round wedding table photo taking. I am using crop dslr hence wonder if 17mm is wide enough
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Default Re: Weddimg table group photo

In the past I used 35mm even, from my 35-70mm 2.8, for film full frame. So that translate to about 24mm for DX.

The thing is that you have to arrange people to fit into the frame and so even 35mm for FX or 24mm for DX is alright.

But of course having a wider lens gives you more options, so 17mm for DX is ok and is what many people use.

depends on where you shoot, for hotel ballroom, 17mm is more than enough.
    if shoot at some restaurants which you can't even have room to move around, you may need to use a 12mm, and very good luck to those people have flabby arms and still insist of sitting at the edges of the front row for the table shots.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I've tried using 16-35mm before and it's good enough for the task.

I insist on using a maximum of 35 mm perspective to shoot table shots due to the extreme fear of ugly table food debris and the often scary thought of distorting females at the side (guys okay, but if it's female, you sure kena some criticism by clients if unlucky).

Call me mafia, but i'd rather squeeze the guest than risk using wider the 35 mm. I only used my 14-24mm once in the last 1 year for table-shots, when all odds were against me.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto
    I insist on using a maximum of 35 mm perspective to shoot table shots due to the extreme fear of ugly table food debris and the often scary thought of distorting females at the side (guys okay, but if it's female, you sure kena some criticism by clients if unlucky).

Call me mafia, but i'd rather squeeze the guest than risk using wider the 35 mm. I only used my 14-24mm once in the last 1 year for table-shots, when all odds were against me.
    But u can easily crop off rite
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    distortion how to crop?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    distortion how to crop?
    I think small pig refers to the food debris on the table and stuff you might not want to leave in a table shot?

Once you exceed 12 people it will be very difficult to maintain a 3 : 2 ratio through cropping for people standing in 2 lines without featuring a huge portion of the table.

Whenever possible i will use a longer focal length and exploit compression of FOV, but keep in mind of the DOF and f-stop required to maintain sharpness of the back-row when your lens is too long.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 6th July 2011 at 01:46 AM.