I would just like to ask for your help/tips regarding my upcoming photo shoot 2 weeks from now covering a children’s birthday party. It’s my brother’s twin baby girls’ 1st birthday and also my first ever event to cover so I’m kinda nervous.
My gears are as follows: Canon 550D; 18-135mm kit lens; 50mm f1.8; Nissin Di622 mark II and a tripod. The venue is a function room about the ¾ the size of a basketball court with cream (off white) walls and ceilings.
I have made some research and noted the following (please comment on these):
1. Visit the venue beforehand. Check the lightings
2. Know the party plan
3. Adjust white balance. A blogger suggested to use “flash” or AWB
4. Bounce the flash. I find this difficult since the ceiling and walls are not white. Please help me on this.
5. Shoot in Manual Mode and in burst mode
6. Get the child’s perspective/ angles for composition
7. Look for party details and shoot candid pictures
Can you please add other items that I missed to take note and can you please share some of your experiences. Can you please also help me (or send some links) with flash photography since I have just purchased my nissin flash about a month ago.
I hope you could find time to reply and help me regarding this topic.