Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change RAW conversion workflow = better result?

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    I would not say that the colours are accurate, but I would say that they look more natural to me. What do you think?
    hmm...contrast too high for my liking

I just added a bit more contrast and minus some yellow....better?

Aiyo!
    Got post processing competition never jio me!!!

Here's mine...

Actually both are not that acurate, old one is washed out and new one has unnatural saturation in many other cases. I'll read a bit more before test it again. Thank all for your input, please keep it coming!

Seems that I have solved my problem. Just downloaded C1 3.5.1 and found enhanced conversion mode "Film high contrast", use it with "1D portrait", convert to aRGB and import into PS, adjust a bit S-curve, then convert to sRGB. Here is the result:

Old - color

Latest - color

Last try - color
    Last edited by tomshen; 23rd September 2004 at 12:04 AM.

Hi Tom, I guess the keyword here is the color profile that embeded on your photos. The end result pretty much different if the photo was embeded with AdobeRGB or sRGB profile when you present it through web browser or normal printer.

Try it out yourself.
    Test with aRGB embeded photo
    1. Open the original imported aRGB image in PS CS, where your CS default color profile is aRGB 1998.
    2. save this image as JPG (ensure ICC profile ticked)
    3. Open it with IE browser, examine the color.

Test with sRGB embeded photo
    1. Open the original imported aRGB image in PS CS, where your CS default color profile is aRGB 1998.
    2. Convert it to sRGB (menu->image->mode->convert to profile)
    3. save this image as jpg (ensure ICC profile ticked)
    4. Open it with IE browser, examine the color.

You will see the aRGB one has degraded colors.
    Initially all my photos has embeded aRGB profile and it was giving me nightmare everytime I upload to my web gallery and print out (most of them has color mismatch or looks dull). Only lately I discover the embeded profile is the culprit.

Not sure is it the same at your case...

Cheers!
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

ST_SG: You got one thing wrong, the images which are in Adobe RGB appeared dull on your browser is because none of WINTEL browser support ICC profile.

On the other hands, Safari, OmniWeb (any Mac OS Xbrowser that uses WebKit frameworks), and even MS IE (on Classic Mac OS as well) supports ICC/ColorSync, thus images embedded in Adobe RGB or a non-sRGB profile can be displayed properly on the Mac.

Saying so, key point to remember most application on Wintel does not support ICC (I know Adobe suite of software does though), so just beware of it. And lastly, unless you know what you are doing, just stick to a simpler sRGB workflow.

BTW, sRGB and Adobe RGB has a gamma of 2.2, and white point of D65. Kodak ProPhoto RGB and ColorMatch RGB has a gamma of 1.8 and white point of D50.

I would be happy to share more with you during my professional visit....

Hi ST_sg, my problem was not what you suggested (thanks anyway ). It's the workflow/profile for raw conversion. Last time I used C1 v1.2, which tends to boost level excessively. Now with C3.5.1 (downloadable from P1 website for one month try), things get better, but I think PS is still useful for more control (sad but true).

oh i see... still long way for me to learn all these color color thing

oeyvind, ok. I'll take note. Btw, if though my aging CRT been calibrated, does it help much on the photos print out from say Canon CP200, or a HP 3-in-1 color printer?
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

Default trying

Hi all,

Jio me in, heres my version. hehe.

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=fIPRdQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12