Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single shot vs Continuous burst

If you can capture the moment with a single shot, congrats to you. With the help of improved technology, why not make use of it? Besides the second or third shot might be a winning shot if you did use burst. Because, such great moments are so fast that sometimes human reflexes cannot even keep up with it.
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

Default Re: Single shot vs Continuous burst

I use single shot to ensure a stylistic approach to when I dispatch my enemies so that when I look back on that moment or are recounting a kill with a fellow sniper, I go, "Yep, I got rid of that mark with a single shot to the head".

As for continuous burst, this usually occurs when I have missed the target the first time and he is on the run, and I have to fire ahead of him multiple times to ensure that his body is turned into a limp ragdoll. Continuous burst is not so favorable, it's just not so cool when you're a sniper, even if your sniper rifle is capable of a 3 rounds burst at full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Shen Chia View Post
    I use single shot to ensure a stylistic approach to when I dispatch my enemies so that when I look back on that moment or are recounting a kill with a fellow sniper, I go, "Yep, I got rid of that mark with a single shot to the head".

As for continuous burst, this usually occurs when I have missed the target the first time and he is on the run, and I have to fire ahead of him multiple times to ensure that his body is turned into a limp ragdoll. Continuous burst is not so favorable, it's just not so cool when you're a sniper, even if your sniper rifle is capable of a 3 rounds burst at full auto.
    Take a look at some award-winning photo shots. Are you able to tell if they are shot in single mode or burst mode? If the answer is no, then I guess it does not really matter if you are a sniper or a infantry soldier with machine gun. Ultimately it's the result that counts.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Shen Chia View Post
    1 person likes this comment.

Anyway,

I use continuous for events because when you shoot single frame, you ll be happy until you get back, upload, and find out that someone was blinking/looking the wrong way/ rolling their eyes/weird expression cos they re talking etc. too many times i ve gotten unusable shots because of such reasons and its just better to have 3 usable shots than one unusable shot. its also important for flash bracketing when shooting a group photo. people don't want to pose forever and you don't have the luxury of fine tuning the flash output, so just do a 3 frame bracket *2 for good measure.

sometimes, you need your subject in a certain pose. for example, during sports/fast events, you can't possibly take one shot and be certain that the person's legs/arms are in a flattering position cos its just moving too fast, so just shoot a burst and you ll probably get at least one good shot.

In short, when i NEED to get the shot, i d rather 'waste' some time deleting later on than take the risk of getting it right in one shot. sure, it does good for personal satisfaction, but if someone's paying me to get it the shot, i'd better get it right. its just like how personally i shoot manual/converted glass, but i still have a set of AF lenses for events.

*edit* i realised you wanted other points than those you added.. haha. i sometimes shoot a burst and do 'focus bracketing' cos i shoot manual lenses and just wanna be sure i got the shot. but thats usually when i shoot at 200-300mm.

BTW, you don't need the grip to do 8fps. just set bracketing to 'flash bracketing' and then use 'bracketing burst' in single shot mode and you have a 8FPS burst for 9 shots which is plenty.
    Last edited by Ben Ang; 5th July 2011 at 01:09 PM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

I'm on burst mode all the time but I only shoot single shots. I realize I can control the shutter button from taking more than 1 shot. Pretty weird huh.

It's easier for me, when there are action going on, i have the bursts ready, if it's just casual I just just hoot singles.

Although i shoot single and have never switched to continuous before but i believe there are certain situations whereby you would need it. Most commonly it's for sports. To answer your qns:

1. Being able to sync accurately with the jumping or moving object gives me more satisfaction than spamming the frames and then going back to choose which are the ones you want, and that leads me to the second point.

But how many people are able to sync accurately and how long do you take to sync accurately? Yes if you are just an average shooter and you can miss the shot than it's ok as you can afford to miss it, but what about those who are paid?

2. Deleting photos, on the camera/ computer, is tiring and unnecessary.

Tiring and unnecessary than we wouldn't need to have a delete button now would we? And also there is always the ctrl or shift button to aid us in making our life easier.

3. No point using the continuous burst if it's not fast enough. Not only the camera, if you are using strobe lights, for most strobes, it wouldn't be able to handle the continuous burst.

But what if we are not using strobes?

Of course, I do recognize that during official events, it's better to be safe than sorry and that's reasonable. One thing I just couldn't subtly understand is that why do some people just love to use the continuous burst for just anything? From shooting dead objects to portraits. Ok, there's this thing called exposure bracketing and that's reasonable too.

That's their style, let them be. There is always a reason for people's actions. If there is no reasoning behind their actions than just leave them alone. Do you lose a limb if they shoot continuous?

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    Although i shoot single and have never switched to continuous before but i believe there are certain situations whereby you would need it. Most commonly it's for sports. To answer your qns:

1. Being able to sync accurately with the jumping or moving object gives me more satisfaction than spamming the frames and then going back to choose which are the ones you want, and that leads me to the second point.

But how many people are able to sync accurately and how long do you take to sync accurately? Yes if you are just an average shooter and you can miss the shot than it's ok as you can afford to miss it, but what about those who are paid?

Like I said, I don't think being safe than sorry is something that should be discussed in this thread.

2. Deleting photos, on the camera/ computer, is tiring and unnecessary.

Tiring and unnecessary than we wouldn't need to have a delete button now would we? And also there is always the ctrl or shift button to aid us in making our life easier.

Ok.

3. No point using the continuous burst if it's not fast enough. Not only the camera, if you are using strobe lights, for most strobes, it wouldn't be able to handle the continuous burst.

But what if we are not using strobes?

What if you are not using strobes? Other factors could still affect the photos taken. The autofocus speed, for example.

Of course, I do recognize that during official events, it's better to be safe than sorry and that's reasonable. One thing I just couldn't subtly understand is that why do some people just love to use the continuous burst for just anything? From shooting dead objects to portraits. Ok, there's this thing called exposure bracketing and that's reasonable too.

That's their style, let them be. There is always a reason for people's actions. If there is no reasoning behind their actions than just leave them alone. Do you lose a limb if they shoot continuous?

No, I don't lose a limb if they shoot continuously. That is their business, and starting a thread about something I don't understand is my own business and people who want to comment or etc can do so and it seems like you would lose your ego if you didn't start talking about people minding their own businesses when this thread was opened, in truth, for the purpose of a potential discussion and indeed, for the purpose of knowing different perspectives from different people.

^Replied above.

This thread is not about condemning people who use continuous burst for unnecessary stuff.

This thread is also not about identifying cool people who would not get bothered by people's opinions, in this case, the use of continuous burst in unnecessary situations.

This thread is about your opinions towards this issue - 'Single shot vs Continuous burst' , and not 'Continuous burst - Right or Wrong?'

If you have your own arguments, in support of using continuous burst, and if you have faith in what you do, then why get so bothered by this thread, and claiming that this thread ain't mean nothing to you.

I do not deny that my tone used in the first post was pretty harsh but I believe that's provoking, provoking enough to get proponents to post their perspectives.

As for the other replies, I will reply them soon. Cheers.
    Last edited by tehzeh; 5th July 2011 at 09:54 PM.

Single shot vs continuous burst you say? Than you are just comparing an apple to an orange.

Both have different purposes so i have no idea what you are trying to compare.

1. Than what should be discussed?

2. Ok.

3. There is something called continuous af if you don't know.

4. Ok.

I'm pretty sure sports journalists appreciate the advancement in FPS in modern day camera. Or else why would ppl invest in a enel4a with MB-D10 on a d300(s)/D700 just to get the extra 1 to 3 more FPS? I'd seen the demonstration of Nikon F5 in high FPS action. It sounded like GPMG on steroids and could finish a roll of film in less than 5 secs.

At the end of day, which is more impt?
    1. Saving your shutter count?
    2. Maintaining your ego for one shot one kill?
    3. Capturing the perfect moment with an easier means?
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    Firstly, I did clarify that it's reasonable to be safe than sorry.

Secondly, even if the burst could be fast enough, it requires fast-enough focus for some situations. It just doesn't sense to me that you just spam your shutter throughout the whole dance performance. I am exaggerating but I do get your point.
    True, but do u not use more automated way when it matters? Why burst when u can do with thought process and do single shot? So do u use auto-focus? Why auto focus when u can capture the moment by practicing with more skills and thought? Aperture priority mode? Shutter priority mode? shldnt manual be the way to go?

There is no versus in this issue, different features for different purposes. Some purists may select their distinct way, there's simply no superior method, and obviously continuous has not replaced single.

Ur style is single, others prefer continuous, nature of photoq is different, everyone wans to produce beautiful images for memories.

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    ^Replied above.

This thread is not about condemning people who use continuous burst for unnecessary stuff.

This thread is also not about identifying cool people who would not get bothered by people's opinions, in this case, the use of continuous burst in unnecessary situations.

This thread is about your opinions towards this issue - 'Single shot vs Continuous burst' , and not 'Continuous burst - Right or Wrong?'

If you have your own arguments, in support of using continuous burst, and if you have faith in what you do, then why get so bothered by this thread, and claiming that this thread ain't mean nothing to you.

I do not deny that my tone used in the first post was pretty harsh but I believe that's provoking, provoking enough to get proponents to post their perspectives.

Dun need to provoke if its going to invite discussion based on content.

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh

^Replied above.

Oh ya and fyi. Which part of my ans states that "i'm cool" or "i'm very bothered"? Don't list out your assumptions thanks. Let's keep to the facts, shall we? =)

If this were an ice cream forum, this thread's title would be Strawberry vs Vanilla.
    My photo page: TDR Photography

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    Oh ya and fyi. Which part of my ans states that "i'm cool" or "i'm very bothered"? Don't list out your assumptions thanks. Let's keep to the facts, shall we? =)
    Don't assume that every 'you' mentioned was referring to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh

Don't assume that every 'you' mentioned was referring to you.
    You are replying to me hence every 'you' in your reply is regarding me. Basic english, fact.

Blog Entries

is it too much to ask for, if people for once can discuss things without fighting?

play nice. before this thread gets shut down and person(s) infracted.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

If they burst shot and can tell you why and produce results, then who cares.

If they burst shot, still get horrible images (whether it's composition, or sharpness, etc) or can't tell you why, then I suspect they just have a kick knowing that they have a 8 fps camera or something like that.

A photographer is not a sniper.

A sniper doing burst shots is just crazy, if he misses he will be discovered and he will be killed pretty quickly. Thus a sniper who does burst shooting without a one shot one kill mentality is simply going to end up having to run a lot and probably will not last very long.

This does not apply to any photographer unless you're talking about shooting wildlife with UWA. Then you're just plain crazy.

Hence the sniper one shot one kill mentality is simply a artificial concept which gives you unfounded satisfaction. That's my opinion. Not that I encourage doing burst shotting without reason; but my thoughts on this are: whatever gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-
    A photographer is not a sniper.

A sniper doing burst shots is just crazy, if he misses he will be discovered and he will be killed pretty quickly. Thus a sniper who does burst shooting without a one shot one kill mentality is simply going to end up having to run a lot and probably will not last very long.

This does not apply to any photographer unless you're talking about shooting wildlife with UWA. Then you're just plain crazy.

Hence the sniper one shot one kill mentality is simply a artificial concept which gives you unfounded satisfaction. That's my opinion. Not that I encourage doing burst shotting without reason; but my thoughts on this are: whatever gets the job done.
    well said.

Well, each to his own style. I am frequently using continuous burst mode as a play safer approach. People who use this mode doesn't mean that they don't think before they shoot. As others said, in photos with movement, even if you managed to 'see' a moment doesn't mean your fingers can react instantaneously, there will be a lag time. So personally I try to predict when 'the moment' will come start shooting right before it happens until it finishes. Moments don't come 2nd time always.

Another reason is that I am not as sturdy as a tripod. Even when handheld taking static object, I will shoot 2 shots continuously because I might jerk at one of the shots, hoping that a 2nd shot will give me sharp image. Of course when shooting a static object you can shoot once, review and shoot again but it's not always true that we have all the time we have (e.g. you are going with a tour grp whereby everyone is leaving).

So Person A can shoot only once a time, Person B can keep using cts burst mode but at the end of the day if both of them can produce beautiful pictures, both are still successful. So let us not critic on why other people's method isn't good, if you think your method works for you, good for you. Unless you can provide improvements to other people's method according to their style, it will then be a good discussion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast