Thread: Freelancing for Magazine Publications

Default Freelancing for Magazine Publications

Hi everyone, I would like to know what's the standard rate for a photoshoot for magazine publication? I was previously shooting for my company while I was interning as a writer, and on my job I had to take a corporate photo of my interviewee to be featured with my article. At that time I had no prior experience so I was severely underpaid at $25 / photoshoot. But I have since finished my internship and my editor still requires my help for upcoming photoshoots. Since I've already taken like close to 40 photoshoots for them already, I'm pretty sure I can dictate the price now with my experience. So how much is a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

I'm doing the photoshoot on-site and not studio, in case people are confused

Default Re: Freelancing for Magazine Publications

"Reasonable" is up to how much you value your time, and the publication level.

I know people who charge $25 per photo. Others charge $1000 per photo. Others charge $5000 per photo, up to $10000 if it's used as the cover. To them and their clients, that's "reasonable".

To others, $25 per picture is already "unreasonable".

As Rashkae pointed out, a lot depends on the publication -- a local online publisher is not going to offer close to what Vogue magazine offers, for e.g.

Last year an online mag offered me ard $60-80 to shoot these simple "interviewee portraits". Not very good money, even if I got a bunch of subjects to shoot on the same day, ard the same area. But then, publishers do operate on tight budgets.

I'm not sure how much you can "dictate" the price -- most publishers have a rate sheet for sub-contracted work. I'd suggest you speak to your editor about expected rates, and get a contract/agreement in writing!

Honestly, if it's simple interviewee photos, i doubt the company will pay much. as mentioned, not vogue or anything.

Thanks guys for the advice. These interviewees are actually top clients, namely your MNCs, government organisations etc who pay to be featured in the magazine. So I'm pretty sure that would command higher than $25?

With magazine, they have a rate for any pictures... so you either go with the rate to get the job or you must be so sought after that they will pay you the rate you command...

It doesn't matter how much they charge for the advert...

One thing many people who don't run a business think the X amount that you charge equal to X amount of profit. In most business, 20-30% profit margin is consider high.

You kept on asking how much money you deserve,
    in the end you have not mentioned what equipment are being use,
    is your own equipment? ? taken during office hours or your own time?

If you don't ask, you'll never know.

$25 feels like intern-rate to me, but if their standards are low, and they would be satisfied with a simple snapshot (without emphasis on quality)... then that's all they'll be willing to pay. (I've worked with a couple of non-profit orgs who would always provide such photos for their in-house magazines/newsletters, provided free by volunteers). The only time they'd be willing to spend is for their annual reports

Have you negotiated terms of employment with your employer yet?
    How long have you been there?
    Will you be staying on as a full-time staff? Or project-based?
    What will your main responsibilities be? Writing?

Figure out what you will do if the answer is "No."
    If you are convinced your time and effort is worth more elsewhere, be prepared to walk away from this gig (if you don't need it).
    If this particular publication doesn't see the value you add, they'll probably just hire another intern @ $25/pic anyway.

Bottom line is: If you think you've paid your dues, gained experience, a useful addition to your resume... don't feel bad about moving on.