Thread: LAN cable splitter?

Default LAN cable splitter?

This is my issue:

1) I don't want to use wireless internet because it's really slow
    2) I have 2 lan ports at home
    3) I want to use it on 3 computers

Is there any devices to split the port into 2? I know that you can do it for telephone lines, but not too sure about the LAN ports.

Anyone any idea?
    "Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vince Lombardi

Default Re: LAN cable splitter?

Buy a LAN Router?

So you can plug your current set up to a 4 port LAN.

Regards,

Hart

buy a server. you can output from one to many

get a network switch to complement ur exisitng router.
    plug one end of the lan cable into the the switch port and u get 4 more lan ports.

see the link on the product, i just randomly plug off from the web, there are other brands available.
    http://www.dlink.com.sg/products/?id...idCategory=214

There is no such LAN Splitter on the market because how will the cable control the data traffic from the 2 different computers.

You need to buy a normal LAN router to do that.
    A router is like the traffic police directing the data traffic from different computers.

It will usually give your 4 LAN ports to use and are now dirt cheap now ( I have seen $35 to $50).

Hope that helps.

TS, is your wireless slow because of poor signal strength? Perhaps you can adjust where your wireless router is placed and the direction of the Antennas?

Poor signal may be caused by brick walls. I face the same problem.
    So I bought a router with stronger signal transmittance.

There are many reasons to slow wireless internet access.
    1. slow wireless interfaces, still using B (11mbps) or G (54mbps) standards?
    2. weak signal
    -> router/access point's signal strength
    -> placement of antennae, number of antennae, placement of router/access point
    -> obstacle between source and destination (thick walls, cornering, etc)
    -> interference (EM from electronics)

Wireless is usually used if wired network is not possible due to environmental restrictions. There's a few ways to boost wireless network speed.
    1. install a repeater router/access point between source and destination
    2. upgrade all wireless interfaces to N standard or faster
    3. install a stronger and bigger antennae
    4. place the router/access point in an open space instead of a distant corner, and away from any electronics that will emit strong EM, eg. TV, amplifier, etc.

Wireless is convenient as there is not a need for wiring and trunking installation. Down side is a little more configuration, might cause interference to other devices and EM radiation.

Back to TS's question, you can split the LAN port into 2, provided you know what you are doing. But this option might cause other problem.

So, to make things simple, just get a switch and install at one of your LAN ports to expand. A 5-port 10/100mbps switch should be less than S$50. A 5-port 100/1000mpbs switch might be in the region of $80-$150.

My advice is, depends on what LAN interface u have in your computers, then get the appropriate switch. Unless you are certain that you will be upgrading to the gigabit speed in the near future, then get the 100/1000mbps switch.

Another alternative is to get a wireless gateway with a 4-port switch. First u can get ur internet connection with your ISP, second you can get wireless connection if you ever need it (notebooks, ipod, ipad, etc), and you get a 4-port LAN switch. Price from S$80-300, depending on specs.

thanks! might get a router. wireless is slow cos a lot of devices are connected at home to many computers, phones, etc as family is all IT savvy. I have a powerline actually, but need 3 LAN ports to power 3 computers where I am around actually.

oh yeah, using G network currently, and my house is a masionette, so it's hard to receive wireless from the 2nd floor. have to share Internet with brothers as well.. that's why need more ports.

Quote Originally Posted by iRaphael View Post
    thanks! might get a router. wireless is slow cos a lot of devices are connected at home to many computers, phones, etc as family is all IT savvy. I have a powerline actually, but need 3 LAN ports to power 3 computers where I am around actually.
    You need a network switch instead of a router. A router is needed only if you need to segregate network into different segments (or more commonly, connect your home network (one network segment) to the ISP (another network segment)). Since you already have a home network, you should already have a router. Just get a network switch, plug it into one of your existing network port, and connect your other computers into that switch. Remember to get CAT 5 cables for anything 100mbps or higher.

Btw, example of a good 8-port Gigabit network switch is the Cisco SG100D-08 (part number SD2008T). Cost about $90 from Fuwell at SLS.
    Last edited by ziploc; 4th July 2011 at 12:57 PM.

ts, you can consider cheap and simple ethernet switch 10/100 or gigabits switch.
    tp link seem cheap and not bad, 5 ports cost less than $20.
    http://www.videopro.com.sg/products/...sort=2a&page=2