Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FZ20-How to take a sharp night shot?

Quote Originally Posted by tchuanye
    Another way to minimise shake is, while on the tripod, and you don't have the remote cable, use the 2s timer.

another 2c worth.
    wow. never thought of that. great idea.

hmm. not sure this can..

try smaller aperture , and longer shutter....

Blog Entries

Btw, were you using the flash for your night shots? You aren't supposed to do so if you are taking a scenic shot 'cos your subject is at infinity. Flash in this case serves no purpose but darken the entire image with the exception of lighted objects/buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    Btw, were you using the flash for your night shots? You aren't supposed to do so if you are taking a scenic shot 'cos your subject is at infinity. Flash in this case serves no purpose but darken the entire image with the exception of lighted objects/buildings.
    Can someone be kind enough to post ISO 100/200/400 comparison night shots? Just curious how well the camera handles noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    Flash in this case serves no purpose but darken the entire image with the exception of lighted objects/buildings.
    Ah ... unless he uses Energisers ... just like in the TV ad ... can light up the entire area!
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 20th September 2004 at 05:05 PM.

You could light up UOB with exactly 35,197 flash lights....... just have to think of a way to sync them all.....

I took some night shots of the moon..
    Using 12x, manual mode,without tripod.
    F8, shutter experiment from 1/4 to 1/8.

unedited

edit for more white..

bwilly,
    O.I.S. you use what mode? 1 or 2?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeWorld
    bwilly,
    O.I.S. you use what mode? 1 or 2?

two..

I dun tik it makes much difference..
    more of your hand steady..
    I shot abt 40shots, only abt 4 comes out nice..
    no tripod so difficult.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bwilly
    two..

I dun tik it makes much difference..
    more of your hand steady..
    I shot abt 40shots, only abt 4 comes out nice..
    no tripod so difficult.

Just switch the stabiliser OFF, and you will have to keep it absolutely still.
    This will solve your problem. Trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Henri
    In other words, use tripod? If not i think the part on 'keep absolutely still' by handheld is like super difficult man...me 2 cents.

Read from DCRP review that recomended to put OIS to mode 2 or off as mode 1 will result in blur picture. Yet to test if its true though. heres the link: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
    The part after the photo below the mickey mouse pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Henri
    Switch OIS off only if you are using tripod! Handheld

Red face

Adapted from an article of great master Stephen Voss...

"...Since the light was still very low and I wanted to use a low ISO to prevent image noise, I used a number of techniques to hold the camera steady. First, I tried to rest the camera against a solid surface, like a temple wall. If there wasn't anything nearby, I stepped on the camera strap with one foot and pull the strap tight to mimic a steady surface and allow for sharper images..."

personally i've seldom achieved a clear nightshot without tripod or resting the cam on a solid surface. as mentioned, setting the 2 secs remote does help cut the jitter. but when shooting in a crowded area, passer-bys tend to think i've completed the shoot after i depressed the shutter button when i use 2 secs timer and would walk past my lens 'just' when the cam is shooting

another point i noticed about nite shots is our FZ20 tends to 'redden' or produce a 'pinkish' effect on the lightings as compared to other cams. My previous Pentax gave a yellowish light tone that was closer to the halogen tone in real life. any way to make the lighting effect closer to realistic color? (had the same observation when it comes to skin tones too...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12