Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

hi yogurtgirl,

it can be shot by anything, yes anything, be it dslr, micro 4/3 or pns. usually what people are looking at is the final results, the creativity and expression of thoughts. there are many situations that it may be impractical to bring along a dslr, so some will bring along their pns to capture any interesting shots when they need to. there are many good shots taken by pns too. actually its not easy to always bring along an dslr, lol, simply too bulky, worse still if its inside your bag, by the time we take it out, the good moments might have already been long over.

rem, its the final results that really matters, but commercially, dslr sometimes will help to give clients confidence lol! have fun!

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by yogurtgirl View Post
    I understand that a DSLR is almost mandatory but I've noticed that some pros are using RF, old film cameras or micro four-thirds. So my question is if it's okay to include photographs taken from non-DSLR cameras(4-thirds and including cybershot/coolpix/ixus with manual controls) in our own portfolio or does it have to be photographs from DSLR/film cameras only?
    Use DSLR. The bigger the better. Or your client will think you are lousy since they don't know any better.
    Last edited by hori; 3rd July 2011 at 09:37 PM.

Hi foxtwo, thing is I already have a dSLR(d90), it's just that I happened to have quite a huge number of shots from my PnS that I really like and was wondering if I can add them into my portfolio on top of shots taken from the dSLR. I'd realized that viewers tend to assume that my PnS photographs were taken with a dSLR and I had to explain that it's actually not, and that itself left me wondering. Much thanks for your reply!
    Sounds like you're trying to use 1 answer for 2 distinct groups of people. The first are casual viewers and the second are potential clients. The best way is to have separate portfolios for clients and personal work, then you don't have to worry about people misunderstanding and yourself getting confused. You can use some PnS shots as part of client portfolio, but no, you don't have to state the camera used. You are free to list the equipment you have but no need to state specifically per photograph. Since you can always replicate the PnS photograph with a dslr, it's not an issue.

.....It also made me wondered about the possibility of a prospect preferring shots from the PnS than dSLR and in that event, am I supposed to turn up with a PnS??......
    This possibility should not happen as long as all details, especially regarding style of shoot, concept etc are finalised before the shoot. You as the photographer should be able to tell which equipment will let you complete the job. While improbable, if decision is to shoot with a PnS, I'd advise you to inform the client accordingly. Explain / educate the client why a PnS would be better in this case etc. If the client insists a dslr then use the dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Use DSLR. Or your client will think you are lousy since they don't know any better.
    Hi Hori! Yea.. I'll be using dSLR primarily, it's just that I don't know if I should include works taken with a PnS in the portfolio(is it tantamount to cheating of some kind?). Most of the PnS are from Sony Cybershot H20 but there are a few from even Panasonic Fx01. I'm thinking if a portfolio is to show your artistic vision and expression in general via different genres of works or to display the shots you can take with the dSLR that you'll be using when you shoot for them? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, don't get too annoyed hahaha and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to use 1 answer for 2 distinct groups of people. The first are casual viewers and the second are potential clients. The best way is to have separate portfolios for clients and personal work, then you don't have to worry about people misunderstanding and yourself getting confused. You can use some PnS shots as part of client portfolio, but no, you don't have to state the camera used. You are free to list the equipment you have but no need to state specifically per photograph. Since you can always replicate the PnS photograph with a dslr, it's not an issue.

This possibility should not happen as long as all details, especially regarding style of shoot, concept etc are finalised before the shoot. You as the photographer should be able to tell which equipment will let you complete the job. While improbable, if decision is to shoot with a PnS, I'd advise you to inform the client accordingly. Explain / educate the client why a PnS would be better in this case etc. If the client insists a dslr then use the dslr.
    A million thanks foxtwo, now I can start picking out the photographs! Have a great week ahead!

no must use as big equipment as possible. Why limit to dslr, use large format gigantic camera. If not it is not pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    no must use as big equipment as possible. Why limit to dslr, use large format gigantic camera. If not it is not pro
    lol

Hi Chanjyj! The photographs I took are displayed online and I always get comments from viewers asking about the camera I'm using and I felt a tad funny when I said it's either taken with my phone or PnS, as if I'm falling below expectations(like one is Supposed to use a dSLR). It also made me wondered about the possibility of a prospect preferring shots from the PnS than dSLR and in that event, am I supposed to turn up with a PnS?? Or should I sort my pictures into different sections by camera type? Very sorry if I'm confusing you but I'm pretty flummoxed myself!! Much thanks!
    But why do you need to tell them? Why don't use just say you use a variety of cameras instead? If they persist in asking then just say it this shot was taken when you were walking around with your PnS (not far off is it?)

Solves alot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post

To add to what foxtwo said, your client shouldn't be asking you what equipment is asking. Not at the camera level.
    If I'm discussing equipment with client I'm already at the logistics stage (overseas shoot, areas in limited space eg ship-to-ship shooting, areas with specific requirements eg equipment has to be rated intrinsically safe) - and that is for lighting equipment, not the cameras themselves.
    Last edited by chanjyj; 4th July 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Hi Chanjyj! The photographs I took are displayed online and I always get comments from viewers asking about the camera I'm using and I felt a tad funny when I said it's either taken with my phone or PnS, as if I'm falling below expectations(like one is Supposed to use a dSLR). It also made me wondered about the possibility of a prospect preferring shots from the PnS than dSLR and in that event, am I supposed to turn up with a PnS?? Or should I sort my pictures into different sections by camera type? Very sorry if I'm confusing you but I'm pretty flummoxed myself!! Much thanks!
    You worry too much. Here's my take:

1. Viewers who ask what camera you used are usually wanna-be gearhead n00bs who think if they buy the same gear, they can get the same shots.
    2. My reply to "1" is to either ignore them, or reply with "Guess! But I can tell you it really doesn't matter..."
    3. Don't worry about "falling below expectations". That's a very kiasu way to think! Just take your pictures with whatever gear YOU want to! If you are happy with the shot, post it!
    4. If you DO go for a paid assignment, I would bring the DSLR. It's easier to shoot in RAW, and customers tend to be happy only if they see you're using "good" gear.
    5. If it's for your online portfolio, post whatever you want, and WHO CARES if it was shot with an old cellphone cam, a PnS or a DSLR!
    6. NO, do NOT sort by camera type unless you want your portfolio to become a "cam x vs cam y" site.
    Alpha

Hi Hori! Yea.. I'll be using dSLR primarily, it's just that I don't know if I should include works taken with a PnS in the portfolio(is it tantamount to cheating of some kind?).
    Of course it's not "cheating". Whoever told you that you "need" a DSLR before posting online is full of nonsense.
    Alpha

Normally for portfolio whether online, offline, soft or hard copy is the display of your best shots you have done whether it is Large format, Medium Format, DSLR, P&S, 4/3, mirrorless camera, iPhone or even toy cameras.
    But when on paid assignement best to appear with DSLR. It show you mean business n serious about the work. You can have a P&S or 4/3 as backup if on a budget, limited space n weight.

Thank you all, you guys have been of tremendous help. Much, much thanks!!

I think its especially remarkable when a professional-looking photo is shot using a PNS, and especially disgraceful when someone with a high end professional DSLR shoots photos that look no different than 'novice with a PNS' quality.

Basically the true professional is the one that can make magic out of less than remarkable equipment.
    Last edited by SAMUELS; 4th July 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMUELS View Post
    I think its especially remarkable when a professional-looking photo is shot using a PNS, and especially disgraceful when someone with a high end professional DSLR shoots photos that look no different than 'novice with a PNS' quality.

Basically the true professional is the one that can make magic out of less than remarkable equipment.
    There is nothing to be disgraceful. Remember everyone has diffferent priorities and things to pursue in life. For example, some people can spend $5k or even $20k in one single leather bag, but it make their life happy. Same for other stuff like cars, houses, watches, branded clothes, hi-fi, etc.

Some people are willing to invest more in camera equipment despite their skills are not there yet. Most important is the passion in photography. Although the photos look bad taken with a high-end DSLR(but remember this can be very subjective from person to person), as long as the person has great passion and put in a lot of effort to shoot and learn, he/she will reach there one day, or even become one of the most famous photographers in Singapore or the world.

With the SAME skill, the photos taken with a iPhone, point & shoot camera and a DSLR have much different qualities(I assume you know why), especially when you view them full screen on a 27"inch monitor, not to say if you have some great photoshop skills to make it even more charming. It all depend on how much you are willing to invest and how much you want to gain from selling your work to your clients. As I said earlier, if you can sell your works taken by a point & shoot camera to your clients successfully and frequently even if you keep increasing your price, then from the business point of view, it's really good for you, no need to buy any expensive DSLR. Furthermore, you can even open a workshop to teach the students your magic on using iPhone or point & shoot camera to build a successful photography business model.

#PS: if there is such a workshop, please do let me know as I would love to attend and learn the magic. thanks.
    Last edited by kentwong81; 5th July 2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

I guess bottom line is, "Do you want a Toyota or a Ferrari?" DSLR allows low noise at high ISOs, shallow DOF etc.. but if your shot is nice, then it's nice. Who gives a rat's ass what you're shooting with.

Short answer, you DONT need DSLR to have your work published.

However,

DSLR do make life a lot easier.

The choice is yours.

If I am tired and don't want to think yet still need to really produce great work for clients, I will reach out fro DSLR, if I am feeling creative and want to force myself a little harder, I shoot with Rangefinder.

There should be any issue what equipment that you use if you can produce the work consistently.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You worry too much. Here's my take:

1. Viewers who ask what camera you used are usually wanna-be gearhead n00bs who think if they buy the same gear, they can get the same shots.
    2. My reply to "1" is to either ignore them, or reply with "Guess! But I can tell you it really doesn't matter..."
    3. Don't worry about "falling below expectations". That's a very kiasu way to think! Just take your pictures with whatever gear YOU want to! If you are happy with the shot, post it!
    4. If you DO go for a paid assignment, I would bring the DSLR. It's easier to shoot in RAW, and customers tend to be happy only if they see you're using "good" gear.
    5. If it's for your online portfolio, post whatever you want, and WHO CARES if it was shot with an old cellphone cam, a PnS or a DSLR!
    6. NO, do NOT sort by camera type unless you want your portfolio to become a "cam x vs cam y" site.
    i like point #2. put both DSLR and point & shoot photos into your portfolio. if they ask which one was taken with PnS vs DSLR, ask them to guess if they can't tell the difference, isn't that the point you are trying to make?

my own experience when choosing a photo studio for my pre-wedding shoot. i walked along Tanjong Pagar road with some friends and looked at the portfolio of the various studios. my wife and i, and another couple we were with, finally picked a studio without asking what camera was used. when the photographer showed up, it turns out he was using a Mamiya (not the digital one). he had an assistant with a light meter and a reflector to assist him. later at another wedding, we found out that his assistant was actually another photographer, i.e. the assistant who shot digital was likely learning from the one with the Mamiya. by the way, this was late 2006 / early 2007, so not all photographers may have switched to digital then.
    Last edited by nathaniel; 7th July 2011 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    i like point #2. put both DSLR and point & shoot photos into your portfolio. if they ask which one was taken with PnS vs DSLR, ask them to guess if they can't tell the difference, isn't that the point you are trying to make?

my own experience when choosing a photo studio for my pre-wedding shoot. i walked along Tanjong Pagar road with some friends and looked at the portfolio of the various studios. my wife and i, and another couple we were with, finally picked a studio without asking what camera was used. when the photographer showed up, it turns out he was using a Mamiya (not the digital one). he had an assistant with a light meter and a reflector to assist him. later at another wedding, we found out that his assistant was actually another photographer, i.e. the assistant who shot digital was likely learning from the one with the Mamiya. by the way, this was late 2006 / early 2007, so not all photographers may have switched to digital then.
    actually, i'm not sure if some people might disagree with me and say that the Mamiya would have been better than the digital cameras back then.
    Last edited by nathaniel; 7th July 2011 at 01:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12