Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

  1. #1

    Default Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Hi everybody, this is my first post and after reading through a number of the posts here, I have a question and hope that somebody would be able to shed some light on it.

    I understand that a DSLR is almost mandatory but I've noticed that some pros are using RF, old film cameras or micro four-thirds. So my question is if it's okay to include photographs taken from non-DSLR cameras(4-thirds and including cybershot/coolpix/ixus with manual controls) in our own portfolio or does it have to be photographs from DSLR/film cameras only? Sorry if I've left out some details and if the question appears to be really redundant but I do not know anybody else to ask. Thank you so much in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Hi Cat. Welcome to CS.

    I'm not in the photography biz, but heres my take.

    In general, people thinks DSLR takes better picture than PNS. Thus, if you can take quality picture with PNS, then that says alot about your ability.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Hi Chiang, thanks so much for replying! Actually I'm trying to come up with a proper online portfolio but I don't have that many photos taken with my dSLR when compared to the PnS while on the other hand, I have a handful that I like which are taken with a PnS. I got in for Noise Mentorship and selected for NatGeo's capitaland thingy with those pictures and that's why I was thinking if they're usable for one's portfolio, since the aforementioned organization accepted them as entries.

    You've been very kind with your words, have a good morning and great day ahead!

  4. #4
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,858

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    your portfolio doesn't have to be works selected by contests.

    u can show off your works as long as u are confident of showing it.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogurtgirl View Post
    Hi everybody, this is my first post and after reading through a number of the posts here, I have a question and hope that somebody would be able to shed some light on it.

    I understand that a DSLR is almost mandatory but I've noticed that some pros are using RF, old film cameras or micro four-thirds. So my question is if it's okay to include photographs taken from non-DSLR cameras(4-thirds and including cybershot/coolpix/ixus with manual controls) in our own portfolio or does it have to be photographs from DSLR/film cameras only? Sorry if I've left out some details and if the question appears to be really redundant but I do not know anybody else to ask. Thank you so much in advance!
    The worth of a photo lies in the photographer and how well they are able to use their gear to communicate their vision. In short, if you take better pictures with your point and shoot, then for you at least, I would say it is the better camera. There are photographers out there who shoot with iPhones only, and they come up with inspiring results.

    Here are some examples

    Local photographer Chia Aik Beng
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelmunky/

    US photographer Sion Fullana
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sionfullana/

    That being said, you will of course need the right tool for the right job. If you are intending to go into wedding photography, then maybe a DSLR might be a more versatile camera, since it would probably have autofocus, flash, image stabilisation, low light performance etc. But that is not to say you can't take good pictures using a different type of camera.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    your portfolio doesn't have to be works selected by contests.

    u can show off your works as long as u are confident of showing it.
    Good point. Everyone starts somewhere. Your portfolio can and should be updated over time, so just start off with what you have and work from there.

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    camera is just a tool, you are showcasing your art to expressing yourself.
    those who interested on your work, will not bother what things you use.
    those who interested on what things you use, will not be interested in your art.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogurtgirl View Post
    Hi Chiang, thanks so much for replying! Actually I'm trying to come up with a proper online portfolio but I don't have that many photos taken with my dSLR when compared to the PnS while on the other hand, I have a handful that I like which are taken with a PnS. I got in for Noise Mentorship and selected for NatGeo's capitaland thingy with those pictures and that's why I was thinking if they're usable for one's portfolio, since the aforementioned organization accepted them as entries.

    You've been very kind with your words, have a good morning and great day ahead!
    In that case, you should showcase whatever you are proud of and comfortable with.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    camera is just a tool, you are showcasing your art to expressing yourself.
    those who interested on your work, will not bother what things you use.
    those who interested on what things you use, will not be interested in your art.
    this is the best and simple answer...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,450

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    serious talk. If you are meeting serious clients and want to get serious pictures, then sharpness, resolution, bit depth is very important. DSLR or MF is here for a reason.

    If you want to print 4R or even do 'mood' shots for wedding couples, a pns would do.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Are you planning to enter into the business of photography? I do heard of pros using PnS for their work. Having the best camera doesn't mean taking good photos, at the end of the day, the camera is but a tool for yourself. And how well you handle the tool as well as if you are able to push to the limit of the tool and you need that something more then consider upgrading that tool, else just use whatever tool you have.

    In the business, it is what the clients want and if you can deliver what your customer wants, they shouldn't bother about what camera you use. So start your portfolio first. If in that process, you find your camera limiting you, then you can ask other questions for us to answer. =)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Thank you everybody for your very wise and encouraging insights. I knew it would be a good idea to pop my question here, whatwith an entirely more defined idea that I've acquired from the replies so kindly given. Much love!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Please... some pros can use non-pro camera cos they have a reputation and ability to command a sense of respect from their clients. Photographers who haven't reached that stage shouldn't be deceived. I don't think local market have matured to a stage where bigger and better equipment is not preferred or expected, given how common any person on the street has a dslr.

    A photographer's point of view is that just about any tool can be used for any specific job. Unfortunately your paying client expects to be wowed and treated to a show. They don't care that your camera can do the job, they are only aware of MP and top brands. They may not even be very nitpicky about the quality of photos. They just care that the photographer is using the best quality camera to shoot.

    The cold hard truth is that a professional camera still does that best if you want to make a good lasting impression. Your photos may not look too far from the other photographer, but if client compare equipment, who will get the nod?

    Starting off with what you have is fine. Even if you don't have a camera still can rent. My advice if you're serious about trying to earn from photography, save money and get a dslr as soon as you can.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Maybe we should ask: is there really no differences of image quality produced by a top-end camera gear and an entry-level dslr/iphone/m43 system?? I think it's not a difficult question right?

    For a skillful photographer, will he yield a better result if he uses a pro-level DSLR compared to an entry-level dslr/iphone/m43 system/point&shoot camera? I think it's also not a difficult question to answer.

    However, if you can convince your clients to buy the photos taken by entry-level dslr/iphone/m43 system/point&shoot camera successfully and frequently even if you keep increasing the prices, then you don't have to buy a top-end camera gear.
    Last edited by kentwong81; 2nd July 2011 at 11:11 PM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  15. #15

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Think about this - do your clients ask what equipment you use BEFORE you send them the invoice?

    If they do, then you need a dSLR. If they don't, then why should you bother? Who is your target market to begin with?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Please... some pros can use non-pro camera cos they have a reputation and ability to command a sense of respect from their clients. Photographers who haven't reached that stage shouldn't be deceived. I don't think local market have matured to a stage where bigger and better equipment is not preferred or expected, given how common any person on the street has a dslr.

    A photographer's point of view is that just about any tool can be used for any specific job. Unfortunately your paying client expects to be wowed and treated to a show. They don't care that your camera can do the job, they are only aware of MP and top brands. They may not even be very nitpicky about the quality of photos. They just care that the photographer is using the best quality camera to shoot.

    The cold hard truth is that a professional camera still does that best if you want to make a good lasting impression. Your photos may not look too far from the other photographer, but if client compare equipment, who will get the nod?

    Starting off with what you have is fine. Even if you don't have a camera still can rent. My advice if you're serious about trying to earn from photography, save money and get a dslr as soon as you can.
    Hi foxtwo, thing is I already have a dSLR(d90), it's just that I happened to have quite a huge number of shots from my PnS that I really like and was wondering if I can add them into my portfolio on top of shots taken from the dSLR. I'd realized that viewers tend to assume that my PnS photographs were taken with a dSLR and I had to explain that it's actually not, and that itself left me wondering. Much thanks for your reply!
    Last edited by yogurtgirl; 3rd July 2011 at 05:38 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    Are you planning to enter into the business of photography? I do heard of pros using PnS for their work. Having the best camera doesn't mean taking good photos, at the end of the day, the camera is but a tool for yourself. And how well you handle the tool as well as if you are able to push to the limit of the tool and you need that something more then consider upgrading that tool, else just use whatever tool you have.

    In the business, it is what the clients want and if you can deliver what your customer wants, they shouldn't bother about what camera you use. So start your portfolio first. If in that process, you find your camera limiting you, then you can ask other questions for us to answer. =)
    Hi shelomoh, yes I am! However it's still in very very babysteps stage but I hope I can fine tune the details soon, soon, soooon enough. The PnS does limit me to an extend, thus, I'm planning to pop by MS Color sometime next week to get a 50 1.4(narrowed down to this one after reading reviews and remarks) and still pondering if I'd need a flash right now because I rely on natural light or existing light source usually. Thank you for replying!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogurtgirl View Post
    Hi foxtwo, thing is I already have a dSLR(d90), it's just that I happened to have quite a huge number of shots from my PnS that I really like and was wondering if I can add them into my portfolio on top of shots taken from the dSLR. I'd realized that viewers tend to assume that my PnS photographs were taken with a dSLR and I had to explain that it's actually not, and that itself left me wondering. Much thanks for your reply!
    I really don't understand your quandary.

    If it is used in your portfolio (be it print or online), how will your client know what equipment was used to shoot the pictures?
    I fail to see any issue at all. Correct me if wrong.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogurtgirl View Post
    Hi foxtwo, thing is I already have a dSLR(d90), it's just that I happened to have quite a huge number of shots from my PnS that I really like and was wondering if I can add them into my portfolio on top of shots taken from the dSLR. I'd realized that viewers tend to assume that my PnS photographs were taken with a dSLR and I had to explain that it's actually not, and that itself left me wondering. Much thanks for your reply!
    Doesn't this alone prove that you don't need pro equipment to take good pictures? This itself is a compliment of high magnitude!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Compulsory DSLR only or..?

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    I really don't understand your quandary.

    If it is used in your portfolio (be it print or online), how will your client know what equipment was used to shoot the pictures?
    I fail to see any issue at all. Correct me if wrong.
    Hi Chanjyj! The photographs I took are displayed online and I always get comments from viewers asking about the camera I'm using and I felt a tad funny when I said it's either taken with my phone or PnS, as if I'm falling below expectations(like one is Supposed to use a dSLR). It also made me wondered about the possibility of a prospect preferring shots from the PnS than dSLR and in that event, am I supposed to turn up with a PnS?? Or should I sort my pictures into different sections by camera type? Very sorry if I'm confusing you but I'm pretty flummoxed myself!! Much thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •