Thread: Photography- Art or Science?

Default Photography- Art or Science?

Some ppl treat photography like pure science, comparing which lens is sharper, which tripod can take how many kilo. While others treat photography like pure art, dont care what camera/lens, take all the effort to compose, frame, rule of third.
    I think thats why photography is so much fun, one moment we are debating on equipment (my lens longer than yours ), another moment we are commeting on photos. As what they always said, you will never get bored with photography as a hobby.

us photographers discussing abt our equipment is like a painter discussing what better paint/brush/canvas to use...heh...both the technical and artistic advancement also equally impt...for me at least...

so its more an Art of Science...or a Science in Art...heh heh...

"Photography" is an eternal form of ART created by SCIENCE...
    & "photographs" are beautiful paintings made possible with advancements of technology...
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

come'on. does it ever matter ?

There are two main Photography during my uni days.

One is the Bachelor of Arts in Photography which goes more into Commercial Photography, Fine Art Photography, Photojournalism, Digital Photography and other definitions of Photography.

The other is Bachelor of Applied Science in Photography which specialized more into Crime Photography, Medical Photography, Industrial Photography and others as well.

Whether it is Science or Arts, it is an integrating your creative skills into the world of imaging which you can apply with art and design concepts. So both specialized skills can work hand in hand. I have some of my college mates from Australia who is working in the scientific department as a photographer.

Scientific Photography is not about which lens is heavier, sharper, better, longer or more expensive.

I would define the terms "heavier, sharper, better, longer or more expensive" leaning towards more to "Physicality of Comparing Equipments"

Thank you.

photography is a state of mind.

we take photos everyday with our eyes and post-process them and store them in our minds.

To me it's more of a scientific art (especially digital photography) though some may think it's a artistic science.

I once know a factory big boss, his factory makes the high precision springs for cameras. And he told me in a simple camera there are easily 40-50 precision spring (coils), each one has differnt dimensions, different tolerance, different engineering specs.

Then I also know a painter, he would just take a snapshot, print a copy, then use his brush to recreate the art piece he likes.

Pro_Image, may i know which uni you're refering to? Thanx.

(Can PM if you don't want to post in public.)

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    Pro_Image, may i know which uni you're refering to? Thanx.

(Can PM if you don't want to post in public.)
    Yeah sure it's no problem. RMIT ( Royal Melbourne Institute of Technolgy)

Thinking of going there? Hehe......

Let me know if you need any help if you are thinking of going.

To me it's mostly luck. I happen to see something interesting, and happen to have a camera with me, so I just snap the shot.