Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Anyone went to Kota Kinabaru before?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sengkang Town
    Posts
    303

    Default Anyone went to Kota Kinabaru before?

    Planning to go there soon. Do you think I should bring my DSLR and big & heavy Zoom lens?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    The name is Kota Kinabalu

  3. #3

    Default

    Where do you plan to go ? Free and easy ?

    Unless you're hanging around the city areas, best to bring compact around, then you get to enjoy the sights without worrying about the safety of your DSLR. A big zoom lens is definitely not needed ... a regular zoom should be good enough, eg. if you want to go to the National Park and take pics of Mt Kinabalu.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Depends where you are going to. If you plan to climb Mount Kinabalu, don't take so much stuff. If you are planning to stay on ground zero, then more stuff is better. I went up to the summit of Mount Kinabalu before and if you are prone to altitude sickness, you will get it! And take only what's neccesary, possibly a wide angle and a telephoto zoom will do. Don't expect to bring a birding lens to the top because there ain't no birds that fly that high... except the metal ones!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    DSLR is for sure. Whether or not bring *heavy* lenses is dependent on where u go. I have some pictures about my trip to KK, under the travel sub-gallery on my site.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sengkang Town
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    The name is Kota Kinabalu
    No wonder cannot find any photo online. thanks

    I climbing the MT Kinabalu and some water sport.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Don't forget to visit Gunung Mas. Not many people know it. The Rafflesia can be found there. There are treetop chalets too. The sunset is beautiful. Sorry no pic! The old steam train ride is fantastic too. If you like water sport, try water rafting. Hope you have good time.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sengkang Town
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Depends where you are going to. If you plan to climb Mount Kinabalu, don't take so much stuff. If you are planning to stay on ground zero, then more stuff is better. I went up to the summit of Mount Kinabalu before and if you are prone to altitude sickness, you will get it! And take only what's neccesary, possibly a wide angle and a telephoto zoom will do. Don't expect to bring a birding lens to the top because there ain't no birds that fly that high... except the metal ones!
    I thinking of bring the following....

    1. Crumpler back pack so I can slot my tripot at the side.
    2. CF tripot
    3. D70
    4. Kit lens
    5. 70-200 VR
    6. Flash
    7. CompactDrive
    8. 1Litre H20
    9. Fuji F810
    10 Winter Jacket and a few clothes


    Quite heavy, do you Guys with experience find it too heavy for normal guy??

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sengkang Town
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    DSLR is for sure. Whether or not bring *heavy* lenses is dependent on where u go. I have some pictures about my trip to KK, under the travel sub-gallery on my site.

    Thanks, nice photo. Those photo are what I'm looking for.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightNPixels
    I thinking of bring the following....

    1. Crumpler back pack so I can slot my tripot at the side.
    2. CF tripot
    3. D70
    4. Kit lens
    5. 70-200 VR
    6. Flash
    7. CompactDrive
    8. 1Litre H20
    9. Fuji F810
    10 Winter Jacket and a few clothes


    Quite heavy, do you Guys with experience find it too heavy for normal guy??
    fitness level differs for everyone.. however, if u still want to carry those things up and finds it too heavy for your fitness level... can always ask your guide to carry for u and pay him (RM7/kg)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilis128
    fitness level differs for everyone.. however, if u still want to carry those things up and finds it too heavy for your fitness level... can always ask your guide to carry for u and pay him (RM7/kg)

    risky ler....

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightNPixels
    I thinking of bring the following....

    1. Crumpler back pack so I can slot my tripot at the side.
    2. CF tripot
    3. D70
    4. Kit lens
    5. 70-200 VR
    6. Flash
    7. CompactDrive
    8. 1Litre H20
    9. Fuji F810
    10 Winter Jacket and a few clothes


    Quite heavy, do you Guys with experience find it too heavy for normal guy??
    Personally, i think it shd not be a problem......make sure u jacket is thick enough to agaist the cold.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    risky ler....
    why risky ler?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    10

    Default Kota Kinabalu is a safe place.

    But do beware of pick pockets. Anywhere around the world is not safe cos of them, especially in city area. But once you get out from the city and go to places like Mt. Kinabalu, everything is fine! trust me! Im from Kota Kinabalu. Message me if u need any tips.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightNPixels
    I thinking of bring the following....

    1. Crumpler back pack so I can slot my tripot at the side.
    2. CF tripot
    3. D70
    4. Kit lens
    5. 70-200 VR
    6. Flash
    7. CompactDrive
    8. 1Litre H20
    9. Fuji F810
    10 Winter Jacket and a few clothes


    Quite heavy, do you Guys with experience find it too heavy for normal guy??
    Hi, I've been there before. If you REALLY plan to lug all that, then you should start training. At times the route can be very steep and some older wooden railings are quite worn out too. The weight will start to double very fast. The VR lens will definitely add weight.

    Near the summit is the Laban Rata resthouse. The beds are shared so be careful of your equipment. The final stretch up the top to catch sunrise will reach quite low temperatures.... if memory serves me right its below zero. Cold enough for ice crystals to form.

    There are wild life and plant life along the way. So do watch out for it. 200mm maybe a little short to reach. I think if you are bringing a dslr along, then couple with a compact wide telezoom which is lighter might be a better choice. You'd probably wanna capture the nice, vast scenery and panoramic view from the top. Look out fro tasty raspberries and other edible berries along the trail. You'd have to decide if you want the risk eating it. haha!

    Oh yeah... 1L H20 is quite little... too.
    Hope this helps.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xav
    But do beware of pick pockets. Anywhere around the world is not safe cos of them, especially in city area. But once you get out from the city and go to places like Mt. Kinabalu, everything is fine! trust me! Im from Kota Kinabalu. Message me if u need any tips.
    xav, are you referring to the 'phillipine market and the pasar malam?

    Other than these places, the shopping centres seem quite safe leh. Just be extra careful, the kiasu way, will do.
    Avoid Pulau Manukan (crowded). Pulau Sapi is great for snorkelling.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sengkang Town
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Thanks for all those good pointer.


    Btw, do you think I should throw away my tripot? I was thinking how am I going to switch lens while on top with glove on too. So dun think I could set tripot too right?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightNPixels
    Thanks for all those good pointer.


    Btw, do you think I should throw away my tripot? I was thinking how am I going to switch lens while on top with glove on too. So dun think I could set tripot too right?
    You probably can only set up the tripod at the resthouse. The rest are slopy terrain.

    The reason I recommended a compact wide telezoom is that you won't need to change lens so often and its light. Its versatility outweighs the fastness of the 70-200. However, there are sheltered rest points along the route which you can sit down and change the lens though, if you really need to.

    Oh yes, a walking stick is pretty useful too. You can pick one up at the entrance or pick any suitable stick along the route. Quite helpful to spread the load and balance. And wear good hiking shoes with good grip too.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightNPixels
    Thanks for all those good pointer.


    Btw, do you think I should throw away my tripot? I was thinking how am I going to switch lens while on top with glove on too. So dun think I could set tripot too right?
    If you reach the top before sun rise, I don't think you can even set the tripod, there is simply no place.

  20. #20

    Default

    If you are not confident of your fitness level, better don't carry too much stuff. It is worse if you are delayed by the heavy baggage and missed the sunrise and a spot on the highest point of the summit than making sure you take a good picture. You have to balance yourself very well at the highest spot because there is not much space for everybody at the summit and once people are up there, they won't want to leave so quickly as everybody is tired and just want to rest there till the sunrise appears. The route is not too difficult but speed is crucial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •