Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Do we have too many DSLR models to choose from?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,644

    Default Do we have too many DSLR models to choose from?

    Just after I decided no more upgrade...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    buy buy buy - Canon 20D

  3. #3
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    I have 'decided' never to say I am truly settled with a DSLR ... the fact is with newer and more advance models popping up here and there, such temptations are usually hard to ignore ...

    Just go and take a cold shower, do something else that got nothing to do with photography ... I think you got the point.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    with my previous digicam, I've "decided" no more upgrade. but after upgrading to the 300D, I've "decided" more upgrade in the works

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    The temptation is hard to resist.

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    509

    Default

    You should have posted a poll, tomshen

    I think we do not have enough DSLR's to choose from. All the major players now have DSLR's in the market, but NONE of them have the same range of DSLR's that they did with film:

    Canon has the 300D, 20D, 1DMk2, 1Ds. There is no midrange DSLR (EOS-3 replacement). Each DSLR is much more expensive than their film SLR's, which is a barrier to entry. The same can be said for the rest of the DSLR makers.

    Nikon has the D70, D100, D2H, and D2X. This is a disjointed lineup, with the D70 better than the D100, and the D2X better than the D2H at each camera's own game - i.e. the D2X takes higher quality pictures at the same FPS as the D2H; the D70 is supposed to be then entry level camera - yet it is better than the supposedly "superior" D100. Nikon users do not have a clear upgrade path - so the DSLR lineup from Nikon needs to be rationalized.

    Pentax, Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Sigma only have one or two DSLR's in their lineup. All have sensibly attacked the entry level first (where the volume is) before taking their cameras upmarket. Plenty of space for future DSLR's here!

    We have yet to hear from Leica or Contax, but Leica is said to have an R-series digital back in the works. That leaves Contax as the only major SLR manufacturer without a DSLR in its lineup.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    probably those who are still contemplating upgrades all the time, shouldn't be photographers. they are becoming collectors.

    have you shot today? (R)


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    You should have posted a poll, tomshen

    I think we do not have enough DSLR's to choose from. All the major players now have DSLR's in the market, but NONE of them have the same range of DSLR's that they did with film:

    Canon has the 300D, 20D, 1DMk2, 1Ds. There is no midrange DSLR (EOS-3 replacement). Each DSLR is much more expensive than their film SLR's, which is a barrier to entry. The same can be said for the rest of the DSLR makers.

    Nikon has the D70, D100, D2H, and D2X. This is a disjointed lineup, with the D70 better than the D100, and the D2X better than the D2H at each camera's own game - i.e. the D2X takes higher quality pictures at the same FPS as the D2H; the D70 is supposed to be then entry level camera - yet it is better than the supposedly "superior" D100. Nikon users do not have a clear upgrade path - so the DSLR lineup from Nikon needs to be rationalized.

    Pentax, Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Sigma only have one or two DSLR's in their lineup. All have sensibly attacked the entry level first (where the volume is) before taking their cameras upmarket. Plenty of space for future DSLR's here!

    We have yet to hear from Leica or Contax, but Leica is said to have an R-series digital back in the works. That leaves Contax as the only major SLR manufacturer without a DSLR in its lineup.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...x_ndigital.asp
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    Thanks for pointing that out. That Contax has been withdrawn from sale. As of now, you cannot buy a Contax DSLR.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    The dSLRs seem to be entering the same phase as digicams a while back - exploding numbers of models from every manufacturer. Should settle down after a while, like the digicams.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    probably those who are still contemplating upgrades all the time, shouldn't be photographers. they are becoming collectors.

    have you shot today? (R)

    I did shoot today! with a compact digicam though, not my dslr

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    have you shot today? (R)

    brilliant, sehsuan...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    A few things I have learnt from digital photography:

    1. Dont wait: by the time u wait all the bugs are fixed and the price comes down a bit, new product will be annouced and u have to wait again!

    2. Dont hold: when u want to sell something, sell it fast. Tomorrow's price might be the half of today's due to unproven rumors.

    3. Dont shoot: Coz when u sell your gears, still can claim "very mint", "like new"

    4. Never say never: there is always something cheaper better fast and sexier.

    5. Dont log into any online forums: that will make u poorer than ever.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Choices is good for consumer like us.

    There's a model for different kind of photographer and budget.

  15. #15

    Default

    Amfibius, you missed so many Canon DSLR's - 10D, D30, D60, 1D and I think for Nikon you missed some as well such as the D1X

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    A few things I have learnt from digital photography:

    1. Dont wait: by the time u wait all the bugs are fixed and the price comes down a bit, new product will be annouced and u have to wait again!

    2. Dont hold: when u want to sell something, sell it fast. Tomorrow's price might be the half of today's due to unproven rumors.

    3. Dont shoot: Coz when u sell your gears, still can claim "very mint", "like new"

    4. Never say never: there is always something cheaper better fast and sexier.

    5. Dont log into any online forums: that will make u poorer than ever.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    A few things I have learnt from digital photography:

    1. Dont wait: by the time u wait all the bugs are fixed and the price comes down a bit, new product will be annouced and u have to wait again!

    2. Dont hold: when u want to sell something, sell it fast. Tomorrow's price might be the half of today's due to unproven rumors.

    3. Dont shoot: Coz when u sell your gears, still can claim "very mint", "like new"

    4. Never say never: there is always something cheaper better fast and sexier.

    5. Dont log into any online forums: that will make u poorer than ever.
    tomshen, tomshem BUYBUYBUY,SHOOTSHOTSHOT,UPGRADEUPGRADEUPGRADE![B][COLOR=DarkRed]

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    Just after I decided no more upgrade...
    then don't buy lor... just sit back and enjoy the reviews...

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    tomshen, tomshem BUYBUYBUY,SHOOTSHOTSHOT,UPGRADEUPGRADEUPGRADE![B][COLOR=DarkRed]
    Hey, my record so far is still rather good. ONLY two bodies in the long long 2.5-year digital photography...

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acroamatic
    brilliant, sehsuan...
    thanks, acroamatic

    actually, what i was trying to say is, whether we can justify getting the latest, best model (at a point of time) for our usage pattern. one thing that sticks to my mind is, for shooting, we only need ONE shot, not 7 other frames in that one second timeframe to delete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •