Thread: Recommendation: Compact Camera for extreme conditions

Default Recommendation: Compact Camera for extreme conditions

Hi there. I'm a little out of touch with digital compact cameras and would like some recommendations. I'm looking for a reasonably good compact camera that can withstand extreme conditions like sub-zero winter conditions in Nepal.

I have heard of compacts failing in such conditions (not sure if it's true). I am looking for one that can shoot high quality photos and perhaps, even HD video and have sort of narrowed down to Canon S95 and Lumix GF2. Is there others to consider?

Will appreciate any form of advice.

Thanks in advance.
    OLYMPUS EM1.2 I (7-14, 12-40, 12-100,40-150,300)

Default Re: Recommendation: Compact Camera for extreme conditions

Quote Originally Posted by snapperBB View Post
    have sort of narrowed down to Canon S95 and Lumix GF2. Is there others to consider?
    Those aren't exactly rugged cameras.

I'd suggest looking at the Olympus TG-810, or the Sony DSC-TX10.
    Alpha

Pentax WG-1
    There is also a GPS version

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital...WG-1_GPS_Gray/

Olympus is pretty well know for waterproof compact cameras you may want to do a search on them as well.

Hi TS, It is the electronics that fail in sub zero temperature and not the specs.A camera may give good IQ but what's the use if it can power up when you need it? Weather proofing is another thing and not many cameras fall into the waterproof + IQ.Need to search the internet for user testimonies for the models listed otherwise it's just user expectations.(A workaround is prewarming the camera but I think this is not practical in subzero climates).
    Last edited by one eye jack; 30th June 2011 at 03:32 PM.

TS, you can just keep the camera warm, i.e. put it in your inside jacket pocket while hiking and when you are ready to shoot, you take it out.