Thread: siem reap in august

Cool siem reap in august

never been to this country before.. planning a 3days 2nights trip with my wife this august..
    any recommendation on where to go or tour guides to intro ?

cheers
    canon 5diii, canon 7d, canon 10-22mm, 24-70m 2.8ii L, canon 70-200mm 2.8ii L, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8,

Default Re: siem reap in august

It will be abit tight for you for 3 days. Temple visiting will last you at least a day already.

Maybe you can do a late afternoon trip to Tonle Sap lake on the first day, Angkor temples on the second, and then explore the town during the nights and what remains of the 3rd day.

Agree that 3d2n is v tight. I personally found tonle sap lake pretty dull. If u get the temple pass on the first day, u can could check out Angkor Wat on the first day afternoon, followed by the sunset at Bakheng Hill. 2nd day full day at Angkor Thom temples, 3rd day finish exploring the town. Nights will probably be spent at the Pub Street area

hi hi thanks.. thru trip advisor i email this guide and this is what he replied

Day 1: visit South Gate of Angkor Thom, Bayon, Baphoun, Terrace of Elephant and Leperking, and Phimeanakas.
    Lunch at the temples site,
    visit Ta Prohm, Angkor Wat, and Sunset on Phnom Bakheng

Cost Details: $50 for tour guide + car

Day 2: Watch sunrise at Angkor Wat, breakfast, morning trip to Banteay Srei (37 km outside Angkor region), Land mine Museum
    Lunch, visit Preah Ko, Bakong, Lolei or the Tonle Sap if time permits

Cost Details:

$60 for Guide + Car ($10 extra because of the far trip of Banteay Srei temple). If you don't go to see this place, the price is normal.

is this pricing ok ? and will it be too rush ?
    skarekrow24 - can share where the pub is located ? any street names ?
    canon 5diii, canon 7d, canon 10-22mm, 24-70m 2.8ii L, canon 70-200mm 2.8ii L, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8,

Quote Originally Posted by skarekrow24 View Post
    I personally found tonle sap lake pretty dull.
    Haha... it won't be dull if your boat driver is drunk, keep beaching the boat, snapped the stearing cord, and more interested to turn around and talk to your group instead of watching for incoming boats. Man... that was unpleasant.
    Last edited by Stuffed; 30th June 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Tonle Sap was a "mustn't miss" place for photographers maybe 8 years ago ... now, i think it's ok to miss that place .... too commercialize and too many touts... and too many boats now!
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by crow84 View Post
    hi hi thanks.. thru trip advisor i email this guide and this is what he replied

Day 1: visit South Gate of Angkor Thom, Bayon, Baphoun, Terrace of Elephant and Leperking, and Phimeanakas.
    Lunch at the temples site,
    visit Ta Prohm, Angkor Wat, and Sunset on Phnom Bakheng

Cost Details: $50 for tour guide + car

Day 2: Watch sunrise at Angkor Wat, breakfast, morning trip to Banteay Srei (37 km outside Angkor region), Land mine Museum
    Lunch, visit Preah Ko, Bakong, Lolei or the Tonle Sap if time permits

Cost Details:

$60 for Guide + Car ($10 extra because of the far trip of Banteay Srei temple). If you don't go to see this place, the price is normal.

is this pricing ok ? and will it be too rush ?
    skarekrow24 - can share where the pub is located ? any street names ?
    I can't remember the price I paid but I think it is a bit high. Does not seem rush. I did the temples for a full day though, and I skipped Banteay Srei, as I started feeling temple fatigue by late afternoon. Too much tourists and the restoration works kinda ruined the atmosphere.

The street is Pub Street and is closed to traffic at night. You can google it. Lots of restaurants and pubs. Just follow the crowd at night, they should lead you there.. haha.. Siem Reap is a pretty compact town which can be covered on foot. Excellent town to chillax with a cheap beers, food and massages. Superb after the day's workout at the temples.
    Last edited by Stuffed; 30th June 2011 at 10:58 AM.

I went there 2 years go. We stayed at a place called Mandalay Inn that is about 5 mins walk from the night life part of town. Actually, it is just around the corner.

Your prices are for a car. Do you need a car? If not, try their tuktuk, it's about $15 USD IIRC a day. More if further, of cos. You can (and should) book the tuktuk with your hotel - email them in advance so that they can make arrangements. I find this safer then finding someone off the streets as the hotel knows who took you.

If you are visiting further places like Banteay Srei, you can try to pack food. For example, our second day was Angkor Wat for Sunrise, back to town to get breakfast + pack lunch, and then off to Banteay Srei. Eat lunch there, and head back and visit Siem Reap's outer ring temples. Even with such a simple plan, we did not manage to cover all the temples because of time.

The most enjoyable time in Siem Reap was relaxing at night with good food and cold beer in the town. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Tonle Sap was a "mustn't miss" place for photographers maybe 8 years ago ... now, i think it's ok to miss that place .... too commercialize and too many touts... and too many boats now!

For me ....but must C the Tonle Sa village........& all my little friends ..
    I TRY to...Keep the lines of communication open, can U?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong

You can stay at Jasmine Lodge, price is cheap with breakfast.
    Skip kbal spean to save time.
    Sunrise Angkor wat, bayon is a must visit.

If going to Tonle Sap, buy some pencils, stationaries locally in Sg, and give to the students on board the schoolboat. Distribute directly to the kids, not the teacher. You can buy there but expensive, not worth it. I heard if you give to the teachers for distribution, they will return the items to the shop and resell to tourist, and the kids get nothing.

Check out the old market too.
    Last edited by Lighthouse; 30th June 2011 at 09:15 PM.

I spend 4D3N in Siem Reap and its enough for me although I din went to tonle sap lake. I hire a driver who drives me around for 1 day US25(4persons). He will just drop us at the temple and wait for us while we tour inside.

There are 1,3,7days pass for the temples. If you like to take photos of the temples, I suggest you take 3 days pass but you wun have time to go tonle sap lake and 3 days of temples is tiring. If you get the pass at 4plus, you will be able to go in immediately for sunset for free on that day. The pass will start on the next day.

A 1 day pass is enough for you to cover the famous temple like angkor wat, ta prohm, bayon, Baphoun, Terrace of Elephant and Leperking, and Phimeanakas if you dun take ur time slowly. The temples are quite close nearby.

At night, you can head to old market and pub street for foods and souvenirs or chill out.

I can recommend you a driver if you want. Pm me.

I have been to Siem Reap several times, half of these were business related, 2N3D may mean you have only one full day, so in my opinion its a bit rushed, but possible.

I would strongly suggest having a tour guide, they do have a lot of offcial guides so reasonable standard. With a guide, you will have a much better appreciation of the various temples, but do book in advance. For Angkor Wat itself, even after the fourth or fifth visit with each tour lasting around three hours over the last five years, there is still a lot to be explored. Doing the whole day with several temples can experience "overload". I normally don't do more than six hours for temples visit at one go.

One feature of SR is they have many French restaurants, even on a day when the chef is off form, the restaurant would have good ambience, so this is also one of my must do for dinner.

Have a good trip!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tungtong View Post
    For me ....but must C the Tonle Sa village........& all my little friends ..
    And don't forget your blood sucking little leech too. ;P

If going Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, I think 4D3N will be the minimum as mentioned, the pass is 1,3,7 so buying a 3 day pass makes the most sense, economically and time wise.

Also, you can go to other places like the Tonle Sap river, which i feel is very nice to experience the lifestyle of the people living on floating houses and the village.

Rent a bike for $1 and ride to the temples. Much more local interaction that way.

Edit: I forgot this as well. http://www.skyventure.org/
    Last edited by Tyrov; 12th July 2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Tyrov
    Flickr