Thread: Telephone numbers

Default Telephone numbers

Just wondering why some leave telephone numbers as "spelling" four instead of simply "4" in the buy/sell section.

It portrays a sense of guilt or something to hide.
    Canon 550D | Canon EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM III

Default Re: Telephone numbers

Quote Originally Posted by atomsmile View Post
    Just wondering why some leave telephone numbers as "spelling" four instead of simply "4" in the buy/sell section.

Why would that portray guilt? Its to prevent bots and other malwares from getting hold of your number when they do searches, leaving some spelling in between will help prevent that to some extent

Quote Originally Posted by atomsmile View Post

u new on the interweb?

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    u new on the interweb?
    Now I know. How come they had the no spell out
    Btw I m new
    Canon| Tokina(UWA) | newly added a Tamron(walkabout)

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Why would that portray guilt? Its to prevent bots and other malwares from getting hold of your number when they do searches, leaving some spelling in between will help prevent that to some extent
    Partially but it also prevent potential buyers and sellers from googling the numbers of alleged and unscrupulous scammers since they could simply just change the alphabet/number sequence in each posting. So TS was not wrong to say that some of these people has "something to hide".
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Partially but it also prevent potential buyers and sellers from googling the numbers of alleged and unscrupulous scammers since they could simply just change the alphabet/number sequence in each posting. So TS was not wrong to say that some of these people has "something to hide".
    and i support this also. i think its actually hard for bots to do searches? think abt it.

to scan for a number that starts with a 9, or 8 and has a certain number of digits. add the fact its sg, so overseas bot have to add a +65. plus the fact not all series of numbers have to be phone numbers (ie: receipts... random numbers... etc) i think............... nah very unlikely for any bots to actually pick up a number.

not an expert... but dabbled in some basic programming before. if u do such a trowling of information... high chance of getting loads of information u dun need...

even then... a person who is able to focus his searches/bot sniffing to such results... can easily just write a sub routine to convert all letters into a number itself.... soooooo i doubt it matters
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 29th June 2011 at 10:21 PM.

If (all digit = 9)
    {
    result show all;
    }
    else
    Restart again;
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

Now I know, thanks for explaining, cheers
    Canon 550D | Canon EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM III