Thread: Sunset at Tampines Quarry

Default Sunset at Tampines Quarry

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Mainly composition and lighting, would appreciate comments in other areas too as i'm still a beginner
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Contrast between vigorous grass and lifeless tree with a relaxing sunset as background
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Evening, awhile after sun has set
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    The tree gives abit of emptiness in contrast to the grass patches below, but the middle part of the trees seems to blend in with the tress at the far back.

Default Re: Sunset at Tampines Quarry

An extremely boring shot. I do not know what the subject is, it could be the grass at the bottom. Learn about the rule of thirds also.

No, there is no "blending in" of the trees in the middle with the trees at the back. It's total, jarring contrast. The lifeless trees steal the shot, and I would not know you were actually thinking of this as a "sunset" shoot unless you said so.

As for the sunset, it's all clouded out, there are no nice colors, etc. You will need to wait for a better day to really get a "sunset".
    Alpha

You may also want to take note of the horizon...currently I see it as tilting slightly to the left.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

foreground is not interesting, can exclude it.
    sky is not dramatic enough, either rework it or junk it.
    the dead trees merged into the background, either forget about the trees or change your angle to isolate the trees.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

It seems to be like you were 'mesmerized' by the reasonably nice sunset, and snapped away.

From your composition I cannot visualize 'vigorous grass' and 'lifeless tree'.
    Do think about how all the elements in your photo (foreground, background, sky, etc) come together.
    Exploring! :)

Where is the TS now?

You should use wide angle lens , so that give more landscape feeling .

if you just choose one dead tree as a main subject then put it left or right then a little bit of grass only i think the outcome is better....