The flagship film SLR camera that seamlessly blends cutting-edge technologies and uncompromising craftsmanship
Tokyo — Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the F6, the latest of the legendary F series cameras. The F6 is the sixth in the F series lineup, inaugurated with the Nikon F in 1959. The series evolved gradually, with the original Nikon F being supervened by the F2 (1971), F3 (1980), F4 (1988) and the critically acclaimed F5 in 1996. Each of these cameras inherits select elements from its predecessors, including the legendary Nikon F mount, while offering the latest innovations to meet the increasingly diversified needs of professional photographers. A great number of Nikon F series cameras and Nikkor lenses are being put to the test day after day in various locations around the world — years, even decades, after their initial launch. The new Nikon F6 promises to uphold Nikon’s tradition of innovation and enduring value.
The F6 includes the latest Nikon advances, such as the 11-area AF system for exceptionally high-speed autofocus operation with outstanding accuracy, and the Creative Lighting System for incomparable flash photography. And Nikon’s proprietary 3D Color Matrix Metering system has been refined for improved accuracy in scene reading.
As you’d expect, the F6 satisfies the uncompromising standards of reliability that professionals command. An aluminum-alloy die-cast chassis; magnesium-alloy front body and covers (top, bottom); aluminum-alloy back body and camera back; strategically placed rubber surfaces; an easy-to-grip texture, and a self-diagnostic shutter that has undergone testing to assure accurate release up to and beyond 150,000 cycles, even in the most extreme environmental conditions. The F6 embodies the strength, rigidity and durability to perform whenever and whenever photographers need it.
Furthermore, the F6 offers a variety of exciting, innovative control options such as a customizable function button, built-in data back functions and shooting data memory. You can also enjoy the convenience and versatility afforded by 41 Custom Settings which allow you to fine-tune the F6 to suit your individual shooting preferences and requirements.
The new flagship film SLR also boasts a number of dedicated accessories. These include the Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40, interchangeable focusing screens (seven types), Data Reader MV-1 and camera cases.
Sales release schedule: This camera is scheduled for release in October 2004.
Nikon F6 Feature Highlights
High-precision shutter unit
No shutter unit in any other camera comes close to matching the precision and durability of the F6’s assembly. Created from cutting-edge materials — DuPontTM KEVLAR® and a special aluminum alloy — the blades of the shutter unit offer unparalleled reliability and are extremely lightweight, for lightning-quick movement. For enhanced accuracy, the movement of the blades is carefully analyzed using a high-speed video camera and computer simulations, enabling unprecedented precision even at shutter speeds of up to 1/8,000 second.
DuPontTM and KEVLAR® are trademarks and registered trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.
Minimized operational sound and vibration
Nikon engineers were so intent on subduing the camera’s operational sounds that they used a professional audio room to properly gauge their quality and frequency. The degree of vibration to which every part of the camera would be subjected was measured. This meticulous approach has resulted in a camera comprised of parts that have been highly refined for absolute minimum vibration, and frequency of movement attenuated to a level below that detectable by the human ear.
Highly efficient mechanics
The development of the F6 marks the first time 3D computer movement analysis has ever been applied to an SLR. This technique reveals the degree of power distributed to or generated by particular parts in specific directions. This made it possible for us to optimize the mechanical operation of the camera with fewer parts, leading to lower power consumption and higher durability
Harsh environmental testing
To ensure the camera could withstand the most severe conditions and environments, the F6 has been subjected to rigorous testing. The F6’s astonishing reliability is a function of our “the right material for the right place” approach. Our engineers considered countless situations for camera use, then submitted the F6 to real-life testing to virtually guarantee exceptional dependability wherever and whenever photographers shoot.
Advanced Autofocus System
• Multi-CAM 2000 Autofocus (AF) Sensor Module: The advanced high-speed, high-precision 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors ensures quick response and sharp focus regardless of shooting conditions.
• Four AF Area Modes: Single Area AF, Dynamic AF with Focus Tracking and Lock-on™, Closest Subject Priority Dynamic AF, Group Dynamic AF
Advanced Exposure Metering System
• 3D Color Matrix Metering with improved algorithm
• Flexible Center-Weighted Metering
• Spot Metering corresponds to the focus area selected
• P, S, A, M, Flexible Program, Exposure Compensation, Auto Exposure/Flash Bracketing
• Shutter speeds up to 1/8,000 sec.
• Shutter speed and aperture control adjustable in 1/3 EV steps
• Built-in Data Back functions
• Customizable Function Button can be used to perform FV Lock, AE-L/AF-L, Flash Cancel or Metering operation.
Creative Lighting System (with SB-800/600)
• i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash
• Wireless Advance Lighting capability
• AUTO FP High-Speed Sync capability
• FV (Flash Value) Lock
• Slow Sync and Rear-Curtain Sync
Stylish, High-durability Design
• Exterior design by Giorgetto GIUGIARO*
• Floating mechanisms ensure quiet operation
• Aluminum-alloy die-cast chassis; magnesium-alloy front body and covers (top, bottom); aluminum-alloy back body and camera back combine to optimize reliability
• Enhanced resistance to rain and dust
• Self-diagnostic double-bladed shutter tested to 150,000 cycles supported by Nikon’s exclusive Shutter Monitor
Other important features
• Four film advance modes: Single (S), Continuous Low-Speed (CL) for up to approx. 2 frames per second (fps), Continuous High-Speed (CH) for up to 5.5 fps (or 8 fps with optional Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40), and Continuous Silent (CS) for nearly silent operation at approximately 1 fps.
• Electronically controlled depth-of-field preview function
• Fast film rewind (9 seconds with 36-exp. film roll)
• Manual film rewind
• 41 Custom Settings
• Nikon F mount
• 10-pin remote terminal
• Interchangeable focusing screens
• Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40
• Optional Data Reader MV-1
• Camera cases