Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 121

Thread: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

  1. #81

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Below are the photos I took, I could not get them to look for Maco-like as those in the forum
    is it possible to tell from the pics what i did wrong?

    Thanks in advance!!!

    #1



    #1 cropped




    #2




    #2 cropped


  2. #82
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Can i recommend the tamron 90mm?

    Btw u need to move in closer. I.e. 10cm from the spider. you're standing too far away...
    Last edited by bonrya; 14th July 2011 at 12:35 AM.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  3. #83

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Nothing wrong with what you did, you just shot the underside of the spider that's all Maybe just DIY a diffuser to spread the light out more evenly

  4. #84

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    For example:

    Before


    After


    When you process your photos, you can crop to improve the shot or composition

    How do I get the details you get in the pic you took?
    I can't get mine to have so much details.....
    the cropped pic i have is the most magnified i can get the pic to be....

    i am already using the tamron 90mm :P, i tried to get closer to the spider but then I could not focus anymore if I got more closer .... (or at least that's what i think???)


    Thanks!!!

  5. #85

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    How do I get the details you get in the pic you took?
    I can't get mine to have so much details.....
    the cropped pic i have is the most magnified i can get the pic to be....

    i am already using the tamron 90mm :P, i tried to get closer to the spider but then I could not focus anymore if I got more closer .... (or at least that's what i think???)


    Thanks!!!
    Your pics are too far to be at the limit, you should be able to get much closer. Did you check you focus limiter switch at the side of the lens? Is it set to full?

  6. #86
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77

    How do I get the details you get in the pic you took?
    I can't get mine to have so much details.....
    the cropped pic i have is the most magnified i can get the pic to be....

    i am already using the tamron 90mm :P, i tried to get closer to the spider but then I could not focus anymore if I got more closer .... (or at least that's what i think???)

    Thanks!!!
    You need to stand closer to the spider. From your pic it seems you were at least more than 30cm away. If the spider is small enough, you can extend your lens all the way to 1:1 then move in closer until the subject appears in focus in your viewfinder. Move back and forth to get it to be in focus. Thats what alot of us does.

    In Spree's pic he was at least 8-15cm away from the spider liao...
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  7. #87

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Yeah the focus limiter set to full ...

    should i turn the focus ring so that the whole lens is at its shortest or when it is longest to be closest to the spider?

    do i turn the lens til the scale reads 1:1 0.96 ft 0.29 m , and the lens is the "longest"?

    Thanks!!!

  8. #88

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    Yeah the focus limiter set to full ...

    should i turn the focus ring so that the whole lens is at its shortest or when it is longest to be closest to the spider?

    do i turn the lens til the scale reads 1:1 0.96 ft 0.29 m , and the lens is the "longest"?

    Thanks!!!
    When your lens is at the longest, it is at 1:1 focus. Next time try getting closer to your subject, then you won't have to crop so much.

  9. #89

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Thanks Spree86 and bonrya!!!

  10. #90
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77
    Thanks Spree86 and bonrya!!!
    Want to see you post in macro subforum k!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  11. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya

    Want to see you post in macro subforum k!
    Yup post there, macro subforum is very friendly

  12. #92
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86

    Yup post there, macro subforum is very friendly
    Especially master spreehopper.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  13. #93

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Thanks both haha..... hope to build a closer relationship between the bugs before i do that haha...

  14. #94

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    What sort of macro flash is recommended? the shops either recommend me the nikon R1 or some ring flash.....

    Thanks!

  15. #95

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    What sort of macro flash is recommended? the shops either recommend me the nikon R1 or some ring flash.....

    Thanks!
    An SB-400 would be enough but if you have cash for R1C1 no one is stopping you

  16. #96

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    saw in artworkfoto Brilliant Macro ring flash for Nikon listed at $260. would that be recommended over a normal flash for taking macro shots?
    (was thinking that since these are macro flashes so these would be better for taking macro shots but i am totally ignorant about these sort of stuffs :P)

    Thanks!

  17. #97

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    saw in artworkfoto Brilliant Macro ring flash for Nikon listed at $260. would that be recommended over a normal flash for taking macro shots?
    (was thinking that since these are macro flashes so these would be better for taking macro shots but i am totally ignorant about these sort of stuffs :P)

    Thanks!
    Personally I prefer not to use a ring flash because it makes the subject looks rather "flat" but it boils down to personal preference and how you want your photos to look.

  18. #98

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Personally I prefer not to use a ring flash because it makes the subject looks rather "flat" but it boils down to personal preference and how you want your photos to look.
    does flat mean less shadow and so the subject is not so "shapely"?

    What flash and difuser do you use?

    Thanks!

  19. #99

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    does flat mean less shadow and so the subject is not so "shapely"?

    What flash and difuser do you use?

    Thanks!
    Yup, the direction of the light makes the subject "less 3D"
    I use a SB-400 and a DIY diffuser for macro, the DIY diffuser is the "Victor diffuser" which many macro shooters are using.

  20. #100

    Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

    Sorry do you mean the "A5 card" victor diffuser in the thread "How to make a simplfied Victor's diffuser in 5 minutes "?

    Thanks!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •