Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Thanks spree and crystal
    Then I like to ask if macro experts do AF and/or handheld? AF probably not?

Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Quote Originally Posted by benjamingan View Post
    Thanks spree and crystal
    Up to your preference actually, depends on your setup too. Most people I know uses MF but I use AF, that's why Crystal always say I cheat

Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Quote Originally Posted by benjamingan View Post
    Thanks spree and crystal
    Most of them use MF as their lens are too slow to AF and noisy too. For me i use both depending on situations.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Up to your preference actually, depends on your setup too. Most people I know uses MF but I use AF, that's why Crystal always say I cheat

If the AF works, why not use it?

just curious, how do you search for insects or bugs during the night? Do you go around using torchlights to shine at plants to search for those bugs?
    Also in this sort of dark conditions only MF can be used?

Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    just curious, how do you search for insects or bugs during the night? Do you go around using torchlights to shine at plants to search for those bugs?
    Also in this sort of dark conditions only MF can be used?
    Yup a torchlight. I still AF anyways, the torchlight provides enough light for me to AF

how do you do that ? hold the torchlight in one hand shining at the bug and take the photo using a tripod?
    so a tripod is absolutely necessary? if i am holding the camera seems not possible to hold the torchlight also??
    if you shine the torchlight at the bug do you need to use flash? if i need one how do i set the flash? ttl or manual or something?

Thanks!

how do you do that ? hold the torchlight in one hand shining at the bug and take the photo using a tripod?
    so a tripod is absolutely necessary? if i am holding the camera seems not possible to hold the torchlight also??
    if you shine the torchlight at the bug do you need to use flash? if i need one how do i set the flash? ttl or manual or something?

Thanks!
    No need for a tripod, can use free hand too. For me I use a monopod. You only need one hand to click the shutter, even if you MF, you can hold the torchlight and MF too. No promises that a Tamron 90mm can AF as accurately though.

I still use a flash as the torchlight is enough to aid focusing but does not produce enough light to shoot the subject, especially at narrow apertures. For settings, you will discover your own preferred settings after you shoot a few times.

So temp to buy the tamron 90mm but still can't made the decision whether to pick this up or the canon 100mm Marco IS

Kinda of difference $300+ if I'm not wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyCinful View Post
    So temp to buy the tamron 90mm but still can't made the decision whether to pick this up or the canon 100mm Marco IS

Kinda of difference $300+ if I'm not wrong!!
    Tamron 90mm is $540, the Canon 100mm L IS is around $1200, I would say that the difference is more than $300 LOL

O.0 I was quoted 900+ for the canon!! Unless he quote e wrong price

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyCinful View Post
    O.0 I was quoted 900+ for the canon!! Unless he quote e wrong price
    I think you were quoted the the Canon 100mm non-IS

I think you were quoted the the Canon 100mm non-IS
    Ya i guess so, I guess when i ask i didnt say the L and IS lens..

Well now it's pretty easy to made decision now.. $1.2k vs $540...

Same dilemma here
    the price value for tamron 90
    the AF 100macro, speed n silent
    The IS or HIS 100macroL, handheld

I suppose it is what you can afford and your usage
    I like flowers and portrait. If you want the quick AF and ease of handheld, I would think 100L is best
    But spree seems to like the T90

Quote Originally Posted by benjamingan
    Same dilemma here
    the price value for tamron 90
    the AF 100macro, speed n silent
    The IS or HIS 100macroL, handheld

I suppose it is what you can afford and your usage
    I like flowers and portrait. If you want the quick AF and ease of handheld, I would think 100L is best
    But spree seems to like the T90
    Nah spree likes the tokina 100mm.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    Nah spree likes the tokina 100mm.
    Crystal knows me best

what type of metering should i use for macro shots? I think I read somewhere spot metering. Is this correct?
    Thanks !!!

what type of metering should i use for macro shots? I think I read somewhere spot metering. Is this correct?
    Thanks !!!
    Why not experiment for yourself? See which one works bests, experimenting is fun

i went to sbg to shoot some spiders and bugs at night.... but the results were disastrous haha..... nothing good haha

i went to sbg to shoot some spiders and bugs at night.... but the results were disastrous haha..... nothing good haha
    What do you mean by disastrous? Lighting, focus, composition or? Which lens did you shoot with?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast