Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Quote Originally Posted by cws77
    Thanks all.

What kind of diffuser should I buy for macro?

Also, I tried using the tamron macro lens to take pictures of ants, but they still look pretty small and does not fill up a lot of the photo.
    Did I use the lens wrongly or do I need to add something else to it? What I saw in the macro galleries were huge ants or bugs which look great.... ...
    Best diffuser is the one you DIY yourself. And did you check the focus limiter? Sometimes the photos are cropped to give such a big magnification and not straight out of camera

Blog Entries

Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    Thanks all.

What kind of diffuser should I buy for macro?

Also, I tried using the tamron macro lens to take pictures of ants, but they still look pretty small and does not fill up a lot of the photo.
    Did I use the lens wrongly or do I need to add something else to it? What I saw in the macro galleries were huge ants or bugs which look great.... ...
    You have to get very close in to the ants.

Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

This was what I took with the tamron lens... can I go much bigger than this?

Thanks!

sorry above is the photo... can I go much bigger than this with the tamron lens?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by cws77; 4th July 2011 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post

This was what I took with the tamron lens... can I go much bigger than this?

Thanks!
    Of course, go a little closing and a bit of cropping and you can get bigger ants

Thanks Spree86! I dun really understand what is cropping.
    Can you show a before and after picture to show the effect of cropping?
    Sorry if this is an unreasonable request.

Thanks a million in advance!

For example:

Before

After

When you process your photos, you can crop to improve the shot or composition

Thanks Spree86!!!!

I got the Sigma 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 with macro. Does decent portraits at 70mm. Macro at 200-300 range. So you kinda have to stand further back. Got it at ard 450. But it doubles as a good zoom lens too!! Awesome for animal photography. Relatively good multi purpose lens.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyKoh View Post
    I got the Sigma 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 with macro. Does decent portraits at 70mm. Macro at 200-300 range. So you kinda have to stand further back. Got it at ard 450. But it doubles as a good zoom lens too!! Awesome for animal photography. Relatively good multi purpose lens.
    That is not a true macro lens, it provides up to 1:2 macro at best. Not suitable for dedicated macro photography

Quote Originally Posted by EddyKoh View Post
    a true blue macro lens gives u 1:1 view.

u can get a second hand tamron 90mm f2/8 macro lens in the B&S for a start.

Yeah.. The Macro function isn't as good as a dedicated Macro Lens. It's just an additional lens to consider, with a tight budget. Sorry if my advice wasn't helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite77 View Post
    You may wanna try the 50mm F1.8D for potrait. It will give u very nice bokeh with good working distance. U can get it 2nd hand around $130-150 or new around $200. And Tamron 90mm with the extra budget of $500 for macro.
    50mm f1.8 not so ex. its available for less than 150 for brand new at some places. Great lense for portrait. Cheap sharp and v nice bokeh. As for macro, it definitely lacks reproduction ratio as compared to the expensive macro lenses, but it is still a good and cheap alternative after u add on ext tube. With the ext tube, you can practice macro with it first.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahdui View Post
    50mm f1.8 not so ex. its available for less than 150 for brand new at some places. Great lense for portrait. Cheap sharp and v nice bokeh. As for macro, it definitely lacks reproduction ratio as compared to the expensive macro lenses, but it is still a good and cheap alternative after u add on ext tube. With the ext tube, you can practice macro with it first.

Just my 2 cents.
    i wun advise u to buy a 50mm f1.8, it sucks at manual focusing (the focusing ring got a limit to how much u can rotate), once u put on an extension tube, its hard to do auto focusing, so manual focusing is the way to go. dun waste the money on a 50mm f1.8 + extension tube, i rather u use this money, top up buy a second hand tamron 90mm f2.8 (if u lucky, u can find one at $300+ else $400-$450)

Is the 100macro canon any better than the tamron 90macro. Extra $ worth it?
    How bout the 100macroL?

Quote Originally Posted by benjamingan View Post
    How bout the 100macroL?
    buying back canon is always the best choice, the only thing i dun like about tamron is that they use the push and pull to focus (go read up).

but tamron advantage that it is very light in weight as compared to canon's

that 10mm dun make much difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamingan
    How bout the 100macroL?
    For the big price difference, the optics is actually comparable, you can't tell the difference in sharpness between the Tamron 90 and the 100L. You are paying extra for the build, the IS and internal focusing.

I have a tamron 17-50 so i understand the focus search problem, sin. It is bit loud as well.
    Is the tamron prime 90 macro loud as well? Scare away the butterflies?
    The optics IQ the same? T 90, ef100m or ef100mL? Spree?5g

Quote Originally Posted by benjamingan
    I have a tamron 17-50 so i understand the focus search problem, sin. It is bit loud as well.
    Yes the tamron 90mm af is very noisy and slow but normally people use mf for macro so it shouldn't really be a problem. IQ wise all comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamingan View Post
    Yup, the Tamron 90 is loud and doesn't AF as well as the 100mm L, which is almost silent. Like Crystal said, if you are using MF, the noise doesn't really matter.
    IQ wise, almost all macro lenses have comparable IQ and sharpness, including Sigma and Tokina

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast