Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I heard that with VR, even during earthquake can get super-sharp images!

seriously though, lens stabilisation is not the be-all-and-end-all of lens technology. It's certainly beneficial at times, though perhaps users have come to rely on it as a replacement for good technique.
    And lens manufacturers seem to be catering to this demand as well, putting stabilisation into ultra-wides (cue Nikkor 16-35VR)
    u serious?! earthquakes?!

erm.. UWAs are for landscape shots right? If you mount your camera on the tripod when u shoot landscape, how is VR/IS going to help? It's there just in case halfway through shooting there's an earthquake and u decided to snap that shot instead of running for your life?
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Default Re: what lens should i buy in addition to kit lens for macro / potrait ?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post

erm.. UWAs are for landscape shots right? If you mount your camera on the tripod when u shoot landscape, how is VR/IS going to help? It's there just in case halfway through shooting there's an earthquake and u decided to snap that shot instead of running for your life?
    Doubt the bit about the earthquake. But did read that an American photog died trying to shoot the tsunami triggered by the Japan disaster. So, also cannot ask him if the IS really helps or not (if he's holding one..)

But for the UWA landscape bit, the IS will come in abit handy when doing handheld shots. But despite saying this, without the IS, with abit of camera shake, depending on you scenery/subject, the shake may not be really visible...since in UWA, many things are quite small..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post

No man... I was totally BS-ing about the earthquake

My comment was more an observation of how much importance buyers seem to place on stabilisation nowadays. It has gotten to the point where even the manufacturers 'succumb' to market demands. I honestly can't see the point of VR on a UWA, but oh well...

* and though a number of people like to use UWAs to shoot landscapes, they aren't only used for landscapes
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    A cheaper alternative would be to get a 50mm prime lens for portrait and a add-on Raynox 250 (around $2xx) which you can fit to your kit lens or 50mm lens. This would be the cheapest combination I can think of and it works wonders. After you have practice enough (the techniques, etc), then move on to a dedicated macro lens.

Also, please put away some of your budget for a good external flash that is very useful for both macro and portrait photography.
    Have gotten the raynox dcr-250 already. if i use it on the 50mm prime lens will there be vignetting? Is the external flash very important for macro and how much would one costs? If i stretch my budget to $1,000 would i be able to buy the 50 mm prime lens and the flash? or should i get the tamron macro lens ? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post
    Have gotten the raynox dcr-250 already. if i use it on the 50mm prime lens will there be vignetting? Is the external flash very important for macro and how much would one costs? If i stretch my budget to $1,000 would i be able to buy the 50 mm prime lens and the flash? or should i get the tamron macro lens ? Thanks in advance!
    At least for mine (50 f1.8), the DRC250 did not vignette.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

wow fast!... hmm raynox on 50mm i think no problem.. $1000 for flash and 50mm is more than enough

as 50mm will cos below $200 for new 1 $150 below for used copy

flash if you dont mind 3rd party, u can trying nissin or yongnuo i think quite as im using 1 (yn467) which cost $120 for new 1 haha

actually with $1000 u can get both tamron and flash also lei
    Lousy de My Flickr

I use my DCR-250 on my lens and so far didn't see any vignetting. External flash is very important for macro, because normally macro will be taken at closer range and your lens might cast a shadow over the object, so you need a flash to illuminate the object. External flash can also be use as off-shoe purposes (you can read up on macro photography online). Anyway, an external flash can be had for quite a low price - look to third party flashes like the Nissin and Yongnuo. These are good quality flashes and they are pretty cheap to get. So if your budget is S$1000, you could get very good flash (2 of them, maybe), plus the DCR250 and still have some to spare.

I went to John 3:16 to and ask them for cheap macro lens for nikon, they recommended me the tamron on a canon , and i asked if it could be used on a nikon.
    They said yes and I bought the tamron lens but I do not know how to attach it to the camera at all and the box stated " for canon AF". Did i buy the wrong lens
    or is it because I do not know how to attach the lens?

I went to John 3:16 to and ask them for cheap macro lens for nikon, they recommended me the tamron on a canon , and i asked if it could be used on a nikon.
    They said yes and I bought the tamron lens but I do not know how to attach it to the camera at all and the box stated " for canon AF". Did i buy the wrong lens
    You bought the wrong mount, you bought a Canon mount lens when you should have bought a Nikon mount. WTH is J3:16 doing anyway, saying a Canon mount lens can work on a Nikon body?

And TS, you did not bring your body down to test the lens? Always mount a lens onto your body and test the lens before buying.

They said yes
    and I bought the tamron lens but I do not know how to attach it to the camera at all and the box stated " for canon AF". Did i buy the wrong lens
    That is a big boo-boo there...
    I'm surprised by it.
    Bring it back and hopefully you can get some recourse.

Don't go in banging tables...... yet

A lens with Canon mount definitely cannot be simply mounted to a Nikon camera body.

Thanks spree86 and ZerocoolAstra. I was confused when I asked for a Nikon one.... and they showed me one using a canon, i asked them if i could use it on a nikon, they said yes...not sure how come they mixed it up because they even recommended me the nikon macro 60mm costing 900 plus which i said was out of my budget..... sigh ....it is simply not my day .....

Thanks spree86 and ZerocoolAstra. I was confused when I asked for a Nikon one.... and they showed me one using a canon, i asked them if i could use it on a nikon, they said yes...not sure how come they mixed it up because they even recommended me the nikon macro 60mm costing 900 plus which i said was out of my budget..... sigh ....it is simply not my day .....
    Go back and ask for a change to a Nikon mount, should be pretty straightforward and painless if they are as good as people say they are.

No shops I ever know would make such simple mistake. Even if you don't tell them, they should ask you for what mount are you using. If you are going back to J3:16, look for Samuel. He will resolve your issue. Remember to bring your receipt.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Another important thing to take note is,
    - everytime when you buy/try/rent any lens, try it before you leave the shop.
    - If in doubt how to use/mount, ask the salesman. If the salesman don't know their stuffs, don't buy from that person.
    - Ask to confirm if there is any 7 day, 1 to 1 exchange or similar (in case things does screw up due to some manufacturing issues).

I guess, this is the same when buying other electronic stuffs.

Hope the situation can be resolved without too much inconvenience to you.
    Have not personally bought anything from John 3:16, but it seems from comments on CS and friends/colleagues, they are one of the better shops out there. As your incident has pointed out, reputation doesn't count for everything. You still need to check.

Thanks all, went back and have gotten the lens for the nikon mount.

Went into one of the shops for a flash and they recommended
    DI466 ($143) , di 622($235) or Di866 ($374)

At first I was thinking of buying the cheapest one but the saleperson recommended Di866 saying that no point buying the cheapest one as will
    need to upgrade.

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!

At first I was thinking of buying the cheapest one but the saleperson recommended Di866 saying that no point buying the cheapest one as will
    need to upgrade.

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    Ask yourself what you will be using the flash for.
    Small flashes also have their use.

Sometimes bringing out the 'big gun' during a casual outing may be overkill.
    Using small flash at event shoot and firing repeatedly is also 'suicide'.

It really depends...

Quote Originally Posted by cws77

need to upgrade.

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    For macro, I suggest option 1 for macro and you need to add a diffuser. For normal event or group photo, get the 622 mk2 version (I forgot what camera u using, if got commander mode, get this one for sure). Most of the time you dun really need a 866 unless you wish to do repeating flash photography or you doing multiple flash photography.
    Last edited by Cowseye; 1st July 2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Blog Entries

need to upgrade.

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    For Di866 make sure it is the mark II version. (version 2).

Thanks all.

What kind of diffuser should I buy for macro?

Also, I tried using the tamron macro lens to take pictures of ants, but they still look pretty small and does not fill up a lot of the photo.
    Did I use the lens wrongly or do I need to add something else to it? What I saw in the macro galleries were huge ants or bugs which look great.... ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast