Thread: why after opening photos from RAW into 16bit/channel, i cannot modify / add layers?

Default why after opening photos from RAW into 16bit/channel, i cannot modify / add layers?

Hi seniors,
    got a question which i've been bugging me for quite a bit. I know taking shots in RAW will maintain the most data in the picture etc because it has like 14 - 16 bits/ channel as compared to JPEG which has 8 bits/channel. But after i open my RAW in ACR in 16 bits/channel, i cannot add layers, cannot add adjustment layers and many options for editing the picture is 'locked' and i cannot choose it? It's only after i change the picture to 8bits/channel or i open the RAW in ACR in 8 bits/channel that the full spectrum of editing functions in photoshop is available?

Is there an option i forgot to tick or is the editing functions only available in 8 bit/channel?
    Last edited by Blackgoddess; 27th June 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wrong title
    Hua Hee tu hou la...Happy can liao

Default Re: why after opening photos from RAW into 16bit/channel, i cannot modify / add layer

u can only edit in 8 bits.

Default Re: why after opening photos from RAW into 16bit/channel, i cannot modify / add layer

I can edit in 16bit. Just the majority of filters are disabled, I never touch those anyway so it's fine. Does it have to do with which version of PS you're using? CS4 x64 here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    I can edit in 16bit. Just the majority of filters are disabled, I never touch those anyway so it's fine. Does it have to do with which version of PS you're using? CS4 x64 here.
    Same for CS5 32bit...