Thread: City Tranquil

Default City Tranquil

One of the long exposure shots i took in the evening. First time doing such long exposure.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    In whichever area where critique is to be soughed(Composition, color, PP etc)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Making the waters silky smooth and give the image a calm/relax feel.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Long Exposure, evening time. Partly cloudy.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    An Average long exposure shot of the usual MBS.

C&C strongly welcomed!
    Last edited by Sgdevilzz; 25th June 2011 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: City Tranquil

interesting treatment, i like the understated look. can we have a bigger pic?

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    interesting treatment, i like the understated look. can we have a bigger pic?
    thanks. Just resized it.

Spent a good 10mins musing over this in PS trying this and that. The only change I will make is to crop the bottom a lot closer to the line of buoys. I tried some stuff I usually do for my own archi images but they don't fit into your intended vision, which is soft and unsaturated.

Facing other facts, MBS is an ugly building structure sticking out of our horizon. However much tranquil you've made the bay and sky to be, something doesn't sit well. Did this take one of those 10stop NDs?

When you are photographing the MBS, you are essentially photographing a cluster of buildings so you have to consider every structure when you work out the composition. I find the cropped portion on the extreme right disconcerting. This photo should have been taken with very good ambient lighting but that post treatment is anything but calm or relax. Its actually quite ominous but that's not a bad thing. Look out for keystone effect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Spent a good 10mins musing over this in PS trying this and that. The only change I will make is to crop the bottom a lot closer to the line of buoys. I tried some stuff I usually do for my own archi images but they don't fit into your intended vision, which is soft and unsaturated.

Facing other facts, MBS is an ugly building structure sticking out of our horizon. However much tranquil you've made the bay and sky to be, something doesn't sit well. Did this take one of those 10stop NDs?
    Thanks for the critique! Yes with a 10 stop. You'll realize the image is a little bluish, that's because the filter gives out a blue tint when exposed for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    When you are photographing the MBS, you are essentially photographing a cluster of buildings so you have to consider every structure when you work out the composition. I find the cropped portion on the extreme right disconcerting. This photo should have been taken with very good ambient lighting but that post treatment is anything but calm or relax. Its actually quite ominous but that's not a bad thing. Look out for keystone effect as well.
    Thanks! I will keep those key points in mind By the way, what's keystone effect?

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/0...t-uninitiated/

Scroll to "So What’s Perspective Distortion Anyway?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/0...t-uninitiated/

Scroll to "So What’s Perspective Distortion Anyway?"
    Thanks! The link was very helpful!