Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: 35mm 1.4

  1. #21
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: 35mm 1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi View Post
    this shot is interesting... how come there's no DOF at all?...
    no DOF would imply that nothing is in the zone of focus.
    This is a case of deep DOF covering practically the whole image.
    Exploring! :)

  2. #22

    Default Re: 35mm 1.4

    The 35mm f1.4G AF-S (after trying 4 copies) is very nice and generally reliable in terms of AF. In terms of sharpness, there were some very barely noticeable variance between the 4 copies.

    However what I notice is that most recent large aperture AF-S lenses require the user to do some micro-adjustment. This is a bigger issue with all the 35 f1.4G and body (A few D700 & 2 D3) pairings i'ved tried, compared to the 50 f1.4G.

    Depending on the default calibration of your 35G copy and whatever body you use, a lens micro-adjustment of +5 to +16 seems to be required.

    Do take note and enjoy!
    Last edited by surrephoto; 28th June 2011 at 02:51 AM.

  3. #23

    Default Re: 35mm 1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    The 35mm f1.4G AF-S (after trying 4 copies) is very nice and generally reliable in terms of AF. In terms of sharpness, there were some very barely noticeable variance between the 4 copies.

    However what I notice is that most recent large aperture AF-S lenses require the user to do some micro-adjustment. This is a bigger issue with all the 35 f1.4G and body (A few D700 & 2 D3) pairings i'ved tried, compared to the 50 f1.4G.

    Depending on the default calibration of your 35G copy and whatever body you use, a lens micro-adjustment of +5 to +16 seems to be required.

    Do take note and enjoy!
    No issue for all the 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm f1.4G that I've tried and using.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  4. #24

    Default Re: 35mm 1.4

    interesting... how do I know it needs calibration? Do I bring to NSC? I'm using D700.

  5. #25
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 35mm 1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyleow View Post
    interesting... how do I know it needs calibration? Do I bring to NSC? I'm using D700.
    You do micro adjustment using the "AF fine tune" feature in your camera. Please refer to your users manual on how to get to that feature and how to do the adjustment.

  6. #26

    Default Re: 35mm 1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    No issue for all the 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm f1.4G that I've tried and using.
    What is your sharpness setting? For AF values that are off by +/- 5 lens micro-adjust values or less it will be barely noticeably unless your sharpness setting is low enough. I do my test on +3 sharpness setting.

    Of course you could be lucky as well!

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyleow View Post
    interesting... how do I know it needs calibration? Do I bring to NSC? I'm using D700.
    Do a quick test for close-up and infinity, it's both are substantially off, it should require some calibration. The last time I asked about getting NSC to do AF adjustment, they said it would take 3 weeks. But as It is not a difficult process, i suggest just doing it yourself. NSC staff will have alot things to do near the NDP season i suppose.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 28th June 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •