Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Orange daisies (Macro)

  1. #1

    Default Orange daisies (Macro)



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, focus (I focused on the centre of the flower below), exposure.

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Just some pretty daisies to brighten up your day! Do you feel happy?

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    In a garden

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the picture, but I think I could have focus on both flowers by setting a smaller aperture. I would also like to know how I can further improve on this picture with post-processing software.

    Any comments/critique welcomed
    Last edited by zaren; 24th June 2011 at 06:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Nice colours! Could be brighter though. And clearer.. Thanks for sharing! it did make me smile.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    Like bonrya says, the colors can be abit brighter (exposure). Cos the feeling of happy is supposed to be "bright" (at least I think so).

    There is also a point that I can't really pinpoint out clearly, but somehow the image is abit unbalanced to me...the spacing on the top is lesser than the bottom and there seems to be more space on the left than right. Maybe centralizing the photo may help.

    Because for me, If I were to take a shot, with only subjects without fore and background, I will do it straight on, smack it in the middle. Not sure if it works for others, but it works for me.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya
    Nice colours! Could be brighter though. And clearer.. Thanks for sharing! it did make me smile.
    Thanks hmm.. By the way, I noticed images tend to look sharper if I increase the contrast instead of using sharpening... Not sure why and what will I lose if I increase contrast?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    Like bonrya says, the colors can be abit brighter (exposure). Cos the feeling of happy is supposed to be "bright" (at least I think so).

    There is also a point that I can't really pinpoint out clearly, but somehow the image is abit unbalanced to me...the spacing on the top is lesser than the bottom and there seems to be more space on the left than right. Maybe centralizing the photo may help.

    Because for me, If I were to take a shot, with only subjects without fore and background, I will do it straight on, smack it in the middle. Not sure if it works for others, but it works for me.
    True, My intention was to put it in the middle, but didn't do it properly when taking the shot. Thanks, I will crop it. Can ask u, if it was you, Would you focus on one flower or both flowers?

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    Quote Originally Posted by ursuladeux View Post
    True, My intention was to put it in the middle, but didn't do it properly when taking the shot. Thanks, I will crop it. Can ask u, if it was you, Would you focus on one flower or both flowers?
    It actually depends on your angle. If you were shooting at a lower angle, let's say 45 degree, you can choose to focus on the flower in front and "blur" out the one behind. But things to take note is the background. Because, for all you know, there may be distractions behind, like some steel poles, other plants of distracting colors etc.

    I normally prefer to focus on one. But still, largely depends on the meaning of the shot. E.g. If you are trying to relay a "lover flowers" thought, focusing on one doesn't quite fit right?

    But if it's for this particular frame, this composition, I will keep both in focus.

    *I'm also still a newbie in training *
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    for the flower, i'll focus all the way into the details of the centre of the flower.. doesn't matter if you cannot see all the petals. like:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mc-shutter/69623110/

    and maybe even this if you're feeling artsy:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevpas68/4246291696/
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  8. #8

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    There's kind of a light painting feel to it, works for me haha

  9. #9
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Oh btw those are gerberas I think.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  10. #10

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Oh btw those are gerberas I think.
    alamak, i can't tell what kind of flowers are they..keke

  11. #11

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    There's kind of a light painting feel to it, works for me haha
    thanks.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    Quote Originally Posted by ursuladeux View Post
    True, My intention was to put it in the middle, but didn't do it properly when taking the shot. Thanks, I will crop it. Can ask u, if it was you, Would you focus on one flower or both flowers?
    I have cropped the photo, increased the exposure and applied sharpening using canon DPP. Hope this one is better.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34452337@N02/5868408950/

  13. #13

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    for the flower, i'll focus all the way into the details of the centre of the flower.. doesn't matter if you cannot see all the petals. like:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mc-shutter/69623110/

    and maybe even this if you're feeling artsy:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevpas68/4246291696/
    thanks, are they your photos? nice

  14. #14
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ursuladeux
    thanks, are they your photos? nice
    Nope! Got them off flickr. wish I'm at level though.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    Posting the edited image on behalf of TS

    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  16. #16

    Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

    The photo lacks lights to me, a little fill might work and I guess you can fill the whole image with whole flower or focus one flower instead with the other bg flower.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    Posting the edited image on behalf of TS
    Thanks!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •