Thread: Orange daisies (Macro)

Default Orange daisies (Macro)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, focus (I focused on the centre of the flower below), exposure.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Just some pretty daisies to brighten up your day! Do you feel happy?

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    In a garden

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the picture, but I think I could have focus on both flowers by setting a smaller aperture. I would also like to know how I can further improve on this picture with post-processing software.

Any comments/critique welcomed
    Last edited by zaren; 24th June 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Nice colours! Could be brighter though. And clearer.. Thanks for sharing! it did make me smile.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Default Re: Orange daisies (Macro)

Like bonrya says, the colors can be abit brighter (exposure). Cos the feeling of happy is supposed to be "bright" (at least I think so).

There is also a point that I can't really pinpoint out clearly, but somehow the image is abit unbalanced to me...the spacing on the top is lesser than the bottom and there seems to be more space on the left than right. Maybe centralizing the photo may help.

Because for me, If I were to take a shot, with only subjects without fore and background, I will do it straight on, smack it in the middle. Not sure if it works for others, but it works for me.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya
    Nice colours! Could be brighter though. And clearer.. Thanks for sharing! it did make me smile.
    Thanks hmm.. By the way, I noticed images tend to look sharper if I increase the contrast instead of using sharpening... Not sure why and what will I lose if I increase contrast?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    Like bonrya says, the colors can be abit brighter (exposure). Cos the feeling of happy is supposed to be "bright" (at least I think so).

There is also a point that I can't really pinpoint out clearly, but somehow the image is abit unbalanced to me...the spacing on the top is lesser than the bottom and there seems to be more space on the left than right. Maybe centralizing the photo may help.

Because for me, If I were to take a shot, with only subjects without fore and background, I will do it straight on, smack it in the middle. Not sure if it works for others, but it works for me.
    True, My intention was to put it in the middle, but didn't do it properly when taking the shot. Thanks, I will crop it. Can ask u, if it was you, Would you focus on one flower or both flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by ursuladeux View Post
    True, My intention was to put it in the middle, but didn't do it properly when taking the shot. Thanks, I will crop it. Can ask u, if it was you, Would you focus on one flower or both flowers?
    It actually depends on your angle. If you were shooting at a lower angle, let's say 45 degree, you can choose to focus on the flower in front and "blur" out the one behind. But things to take note is the background. Because, for all you know, there may be distractions behind, like some steel poles, other plants of distracting colors etc.

I normally prefer to focus on one. But still, largely depends on the meaning of the shot. E.g. If you are trying to relay a "lover flowers" thought, focusing on one doesn't quite fit right?

But if it's for this particular frame, this composition, I will keep both in focus.

*I'm also still a newbie in training *
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

for the flower, i'll focus all the way into the details of the centre of the flower.. doesn't matter if you cannot see all the petals. like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mc-shutter/69623110/

and maybe even this if you're feeling artsy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevpas68/4246291696/
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

There's kind of a light painting feel to it, works for me haha

Oh btw those are gerberas I think.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Oh btw those are gerberas I think.
    alamak, i can't tell what kind of flowers are they..keke

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    There's kind of a light painting feel to it, works for me haha
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ursuladeux View Post
    I have cropped the photo, increased the exposure and applied sharpening using canon DPP. Hope this one is better.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34452337@N02/5868408950/

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    for the flower, i'll focus all the way into the details of the centre of the flower.. doesn't matter if you cannot see all the petals. like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mc-shutter/69623110/

and maybe even this if you're feeling artsy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevpas68/4246291696/
    thanks, are they your photos? nice

Quote Originally Posted by ursuladeux
    thanks, are they your photos? nice
    Nope! Got them off flickr. wish I'm at level though.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Posting the edited image on behalf of TS

The photo lacks lights to me, a little fill might work and I guess you can fill the whole image with whole flower or focus one flower instead with the other bg flower.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    Posting the edited image on behalf of TS
    Thanks!