Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

  1. #1

    Question Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Currently, when I go oversea trip, I will bring my LX5 camera + a laptop. The laptop is for:

    1. offloading the pictures i took on that day from camera SD card
    2. develop the raw files (i prefer to shoot in raw) using bundled Slikypix
    3. share the developed pictures online on FB, online gallery or send email to frens etc
    4. check emails, weather, maps, surf web etc... no hardcore gaming (very sad case if i go oversea den spend my time there playing computer games)

    I am now thinking if i can just substitute my laptop with an Ipad2 cos it is much lighter and convenient to carry around. It obviously can do 1 (by using SD card adapter), 3, and 4 above but I am wondering if it can develop my raw.

    Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    What do you mean by develop raw? I just use snapseed for editing the raw and upload directly. And I use photosync to do batch upload to flickr.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Since when PS for iPad can read and develop RAW files? the iPad is not meant to replace laptops. In the first place, how do u even load RAW files unto iPad in the first place? Provided u did not JB it.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    iPad supports importing raw using the camera connection kit without jb.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithsilence View Post
    Since when PS for iPad can read and develop RAW files? the iPad is not meant to replace laptops. In the first place, how do u even load RAW files unto iPad in the first place? Provided u did not JB it.
    good question! I have yet to own an iPad so it was just my assumption that such operation should be possible using their "camera adaptor"... I may be wrong... which is the whole point of my post: Is is possible to do my above mentioned simple operation, download to ipad, develop it (answer to Laialpha: convert RAW to jpg), and upload to flickr, FB, etc ? Also, I agree that iPad cannot replace laptop... esp in area of performance processing, so it cannot play my favourite Starcraft2, run the simulation programs i do at work, etc. But, simple thing like copy a file from SD card, convert to JPG, upload to internet, is to me, very simple task that an iPad should be able to do. When I am in oversea, i just need these so I hope to carry just an iPad instead of my heavy laptop.
    Last edited by shimu; 27th June 2011 at 10:53 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Quote Originally Posted by laialpha View Post
    iPad supports importing raw using the camera connection kit without jb.
    interesting! so how does it work? the camera connection kit comes with (or need to buy?) a software (what is the software name?) to:
    1. read the RAW file in my camera's SD card,
    2. convert it to JPEG file, (can i control compression parameters etc?)
    3. write it to iPad's photo gallery.
    like this?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Quote Originally Posted by shimu View Post
    interesting! so how does it work? the camera connection kit comes with (or need to buy?) a software (what is the software name?) to:
    1. read the RAW file in my camera's SD card,
    2. convert it to JPEG file, (can i control compression parameters etc?)
    3. write it to iPad's photo gallery.
    like this?
    The camera connection kit is just 2 devices that can connect to the iPad dock that convert it into either an SD slot or a USB port. No additional software is required for the transfer.

    1. It can import natively RAW or RAW+JPEG into the iPad.
    2. You will need to use another software to convert from RAW to JPEG. Some software that I know that support RAW are Snapseed, Photogene, piRAWnha, ...
    3. Snapeed which I am using will write back into the iPad Camera Roll. I believe the behaviour will be the same for the other software as well.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Quote Originally Posted by laialpha View Post
    The camera connection kit is just 2 devices that can connect to the iPad dock that convert it into either an SD slot or a USB port. No additional software is required for the transfer.

    1. It can import natively RAW or RAW+JPEG into the iPad.
    2. You will need to use another software to convert from RAW to JPEG. Some software that I know that support RAW are Snapseed, Photogene, piRAWnha, ...
    3. Snapeed which I am using will write back into the iPad Camera Roll. I believe the behaviour will be the same for the other software as well.
    thanks for the explanation, i think i understand now. hmm... i think i might buy ipad2!
    last question, after i import RAW to ipad2, when i come back to Singapore, how to transfer the RAW file out to my home PC? using iTune can?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Quote Originally Posted by shimu View Post
    thanks for the explanation, i think i understand now. hmm... i think i might buy ipad2!
    last question, after i import RAW to ipad2, when i come back to Singapore, how to transfer the RAW file out to my home PC? using iTune can?
    I just import the RAW from my ipad to Aperture on my Mac directly. I believe other software should be able to do the same thing.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Quote Originally Posted by laialpha View Post
    I just import the RAW from my ipad to Aperture on my Mac directly. I believe other software should be able to do the same thing.
    hmmm... i believe PC will be same. great, thanks for the much needed answers!

  11. #11

    Default

    Interesting read. But you might want to note the limiting space on iPad, maxing on < 64Gb with other contents existing.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Quote Originally Posted by styloe View Post
    Interesting read. But you might want to note the limiting space on iPad, maxing on < 64Gb with other contents existing.
    You might have to worry more about how to scroll through and find your photo than about running out of space on a 64GB iPad.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Possible to develop LX5 raw on IPad2?

    Great idea with iPad 2. Not sure about snapseed. Maybe it is possible to selective download raw files to iPad 2, and then edit the photos for upload/sharing. In such case, no worry about storage.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laialpha

    You might have to worry more about how to scroll through and find your photo than about running out of space on a 64GB iPad.
    Haha.. That too!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •