Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limitation of Kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by spree86

Nope, it means that the aperture does not open up wide enough. "Bright" lenses is another way of saying "fast" lenses, meaning lenses with wide apertures.
    Kthanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

Aperture is the hole that allows light to enter. So, with a bigger aperture (e.g. f1.2), the hole is bigger. therefore "Brighter"...and also at the same time, it allows more light to enter therefore "Faster"

I strongly recommend a good read at the stickies in the Newbies Corner to get some of the basics right. For a start, try this: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...es-For-Newbies
    Kthanks

Default Re: Limitation of Kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha yup, first one is right, 2nd one I also not sure LOL, seems that the sentence structure works
    ok..

TS: The bottom line is, worry less, shoot more. Visit flickr groups and see the pictures taken using the 18-55. You may be surprised by what this lens can offer.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by AkemiOgre View Post
    Its limitation is the bokeh as compared to prime lens
    Nope. Prime lenses can have awful bokeh.

And have you tried blurring the background on a Sigma 14mm prime lens? Do you even know if that lens has good or bad bokeh?

If you don't know what bokeh means, or understand the difference between background blur and bokeh, don't anyhow post "advice".
    Alpha

I sometime find... using loose sentense like, "Bokeh not bokehlicious, as compare to whatever lens" was actually too general and only up to ones' own opinion but doesn't hold the absolute truth to the lens' spec.

Some people find certain lens' produces very nice OOF background blur while others might hated it. I for once, think that the 18-55mm produce pretty nice bokeh.

(courtesy of http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/823502/+360 (rambie))

To TS, my opinion is that the 18-55mm lens is an excellent lens... but not really fast (meaning didn't had too wide an aperture), but if you are shoot outdoor, then it is quite okay. Another thing that I hate about the 18-55mm was that during autofocus, the front element turned too when it was focusing, so using a CPL is pretty difficult.

Plus the AF is not always spot on (I think I have a bad copy). When I was on vacation to China once, there are plenty of inconsistency when I shoot with my 18-55mm. It was spot on with my 100mm lens for my flower shots though.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Ya...But to use it in a sentence, abit hard lar. (at least for me).

So, is this liner correct? > "The bokeh of this picture is nice"
    I think this one is wrong > "The bokeh created by this lens is worse than the other lens"
    Both almost right actually.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Both almost right actually.
    I think I shall refrain from using this word. lolx...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Off topic, the undermention is a good read... especially for TS to learn more about Bokeh.

http://www.rickdenney.com/bokeh_test.htm

In it you can actually see some unpleasing bokeh (yes... from prime lens too)

You might disagree with what it is written there or their examples. Photography is actually pretty abstract. Some of the photos or captures work for you but not to others. So some bokeh that you think is pretty nice and pleasing to the eyes, are actually unpleasant and distracting to others.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    hmm meaning? the pic took will underexpose???
    for kit lens if use in outdoor or good light condition, it is one of the best value for money. I believe most of the bros here use F4 or more to shoot.

But in low light condition or in door, it hits it limitation, it may need a flash, or may need to decrease the shutter speed or increase ISO or tweaking the light source in order to make the photo do not appear underexpose.

TS should stay foot with the current gear and shoot for a few month first. By then he will know what kind of lens he needs and then consider getting a faster (f2.8) lens. No point rushing to buy a F2.8 wide angle lens to replace his kit lens now and end up he find it is too tight or too wide.
    Last edited by lcheowl; 23rd June 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl View Post
    for kit lens if use in outdoor or good light condition, it is one of the best value for money. I believe most of the bros here use F4 or more to shoot.

But in low light condition or in door, it hits it limitation, it may need a flash, or may need to decrease the shutter speed or increase ISO or tweaking the light source in order to make the photo do not appear underexpose.

TS should stay foot with the current gear and shoot for a few month first. By then he will know what kind of lens he needs and then consider getting a faster (f2.8) lens. No point rushing to buy a F2.8 wide angle lens to replace his kit lens now and end up he find it is too tight or too wide.
    What makes you think most people here shoot at f4 and above?

Quote Originally Posted by lcheowl

For the first para i personally feel that it's false.

I use f1.8 or f1.4 in bright day light to shoot sometimes as i want the thin dof. It really depends on how you want your picture to turn out.

Being a newbie I think getting the nifty fifty (50mm f1.8 )is a great way to learn how a prime lens work. I'm learning with the kit lens and this 麻雀 (if you know what I mean in Chinese)

IMHO the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 are essential lens for all beginners
    Last edited by Tucksoon; 23rd June 2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Off topic, the undermention is a good read... especially for TS to learn more about Bokeh.

http://www.rickdenney.com/bokeh_test.htm
    I think TS should read this one also
    http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B8B6F...5_Bokeh_en.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Nope. Prime lenses can have awful bokeh.

And have you tried blurring the background on a Sigma 14mm prime lens? Do you even know if that lens has good or bad bokeh?

If you don't know what bokeh means, or understand the difference between background blur and bokeh, don't anyhow post "advice".
    Alright sorry , will not give wrong advice in the future. Thanks for correcting my mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon
    Being a newbie I think getting the nifty fifty (50mm f1.8 )is a great way to learn how a prime lens work. I'm learning with the kit lens and this 麻雀 (if you know what I mean in Chinese)

IMHO the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 are essential lens for all beginners
    The 50mm F/1.8 D isn't really a beginner lens. I would say it's the cheapest, most affordable gem lens you can get.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

another great thing about wider aperture lenses is that ur viewfinder is brighter with a wider aperture lens, plus the af system will be able to find its focus more easily as compared to using a lens with a narrower max aperture since more light enters thru the lens.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Absolutely. Maybe I should say if a newbie wish to learn prime lens shooting it's the most economical solution
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon
    Absolutely. Maybe I should say if a newbie wish to learn prime lens shooting it's the most economical solution
    +1 to that
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    another great thing about wider aperture lenses is that ur viewfinder is brighter with a wider aperture lens, plus the af system will be able to find its focus more easily as compared to using a lens with a narrower max aperture since more light enters thru the lens.
    This is something which I've not really taken notice

Will look harder again when I put that lens.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    What makes you think most people here shoot at f4 and above?
    If you apply the Sunny 16 rule under bright day light, I can only think of having a shallower DOF or want to freeze the motion in bright daylight, then a big aperture is needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast