Thread: Would you buy second hand ?

Question Would you buy second hand ?

I sell new cameras. I was waiting for a shipment of D70's and only one arrived.
    I unpacked it and put in a glass cabinet (true) for display.
    10min later a customer phoned and asked if I had one... yes I said ..when I told him I had just put it in the display 10 min ago he said, " no thanks".
    Ok .... I wouldn't buy it either .... Why ??? ... he doesn't know me ... he doesn't know how I look after it.
    But when I buy a camera of that quality, I want it to be in original box un opened and I would also (because I am an *******) would like to know how it arrived.
    What do you think ???

I don't think that can really be called second hand. I would call that a display set, rather than brand new. And how does anyone know brand new is really brand new? The lens/camera/stuff might have be taken out, handled, rejected, stuffed back in to lie in wait for the next unsuspecting customer.

To answer your question however, I do buy second hand stuff (most of my equipment is second hand), but I pay second hand price. I do not expect to pay the full price for a display unit.

I buy mostly second hand as its cheaper. Much cheaper.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Default 2nd Hand

Hi,
    There are lots of good second hand deal out in the market. Some previous owners look after their equipment well.
    Half the equipment I own is second hand.

Most of my gear is second hand. But I pay secondhand prices for it.

There was once a friend of mine wanted to buy a Sony F717 at the height of its demand, and decided upon buying at a particular shop. After trying out the display set, the salesman informed us that it was the last piece.

He tried persuading us to take it, saying that he only placed it on display the day before. Hmmm, I suppose dust settles really fast in that display cabinet. And the fingerprint on the lens is hard to ignore. Moreover, the salesman wouldn't give a discount on what was obviously a display set.

My friend insisted on a new one, and said he'd wait for stocks to arrive, and he took note of the serial number on the display set as well.

A couple of days later, he took delivery of a new F717.

Quote Originally Posted by kcky
    Hi,
    There are lots of good second hand deal out in the market. Some previous owners look after their equipment well.
    Half the equipment I own is second hand.
    That's right. Recently I bought a used FM3a (1 yr old) and a couple of 2nd hand MF lenses from ebay. The lenses are all in 9.8/10 condition and the camera are still as good as brand new. Never know that these lenses are all over a decade old already till the previous owner told me.

All my cam equips are 2nd hand, even CF card & bag, except 2 sets of AA batts.

From an engineer point of view, my stand is never to buy any 2nd hand electronics. It is alright if the equipment are of only mechanical parts.

Lightbulb

My camera, lens, bag and tripod and lightmeter are 2nd hand. Despite that, they have serve me so far without problem. However, my flash is new.

Most of my stuff including my camera body itself, some lenses, etc are second hand. The prices were much less than new ones, and depending on the condition, it is well worth it.

Well, nothing wrong with getting second hand as long as the prices and the condition of the equipment makes sense. Still it is good to research a bit on market prices before looking at the second hand market.

As for display sets, I would normally expect a discount.

most or my stuff are both 2nd hand, most ex-owners take good care of their stuff as well. some looks like new.

Quote Originally Posted by alechim
    From an engineer point of view, my stand is never to buy any 2nd hand electronics. It is alright if the equipment are of only mechanical parts.
    Hi need to understand why Engineer point of view, electronics are not good to buy second hand?? I am also an Electronic Engineer by training and by practice, on the contrary, I believe it is ok to buy second hand electronic goods as long as their price is much cheaper than original.

From hygine point of view, personal items like underwares, clothes should not buy second hand, but electronic is ok. If anyone buy MP3, I think it is good as long as you get a bargain, but I will advice to change the headset because it is used in the ear.

But as some C'snapers mentioned, second hand goods come with second hand price. Display set is not equal to new, I will buy display set only when I get a discount.

This is my view.
    Last edited by poh6702; 14th September 2004 at 01:43 PM.

So far only bought one 2nd camera...DOF preview is not working...but its dirt cheap! not too bad as a display set in my dry cabinet...

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I sell new cameras. I was waiting for a shipment of D70's and only one arrived.
    I unpacked it and put in a glass cabinet (true) for display.
    10min later a customer phoned and asked if I had one... yes I said ..when I told him I had just put it in the display 10 min ago he said, " no thanks".
    Ok .... I wouldn't buy it either .... Why ??? ... he doesn't know me ... he doesn't know how I look after it.
    But when I buy a camera of that quality, I want it to be in original box un opened and I would also (because I am an *******) would like to know how it arrived.
    What do you think ???
    I do buy second hand. In fact, i dun mind or prefer to buy second hand stuff cos it is definitely cheaper with known problem(s).

also i dun mind buying a display set with a discount however i will see what product i am buying, no display set of tv or small items like cameras, discman,... simply because, the shop switches on the tv everyday for 12 hours or more everyday, i dun wanna pay for this set cos the usage is even more than my 2 years old tv at home cos i on the tv foe less than 2 hours a day.

as for the small items like camera, what will u do if u r the customer browsing ur item at the shop, if the saleperson pass u set A to test it out, will u care about it? of course no simply b'cos we are all human, selfish (same apply to the salesperson him/herself), since this is not belongs to me (or the salespersons).

for ur case, i think u can just keep it to urself since it was ten min ago, nobody can tell it was displayed for ten min in the window. as for the opened box,... i find most of the electronic items i bought were being opended cos they need to inspect the warranty card lar this and that, i dun mind this as long as i can feel the "new" of the item.

as a businesspersons, i think by putting up the display set is a must to attact customer, so it is some sort of cost perhaps.

anyway, as a customer, i will sure insist to have a brnad new item.

Quote Originally Posted by alechim
    i'm inclined to agree with poh6702 here - i'd rather buy second hand electronic stuff than mechanical stuff. i would think that a purely electronic item would have less wear and tear than a purely mechnical one.

Of course, anything over a few hundred dollars (eg cameras) would likely have both mechnical and electronic parts.