Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Things to do in UK

  1. #21
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori

    Can I go by train from York ?
    Suggest you pick up a rental car with a good GPS, UK very easy to drive around the countryside. Trains are not cheap and you'd want the freedom of not being restricted by the public transport in many cases.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by methoddingo

    Thanks guys, I'll be on this 8day tour (http://www.trafalgar.com/amazing-britain-2011?tab=2) which would already have taken me to most of the northern cities. After which we'll be based in London commuting around for about 5 more days. so far, looking at cambridge, musicals (les miserables/wicked), BigBen, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace.

    After they leave, I'll be staying back alone for 3 more days before flying off to Istanbul for 4months. Hope to catch an EPL match and probably visit the south-west to soak in some coastal views.
    Nice! the tour has basically covered many nice places.

    If you want a seaside place near london and you don't want to go too south then hop onto a train at london Victoria to Brighton. It's also known as mini San Francisco and famed for it's pebble beach. There's an area at the beach where people suntan naked. The city has a huge gay community so if you don't want to get groped at a pub, stay away from those that hang rainbow flags at the entrance. You can cover Brighton in a day actually.

    1) Walk along the beach or take the tram to the marina. (nothing much there unless you want to see Fatboy slim's house.

    2) The lanes is a shopping area inside some narrow Victorian styled streets.

    3) go to the amusement park at palace pier. From there, you can shoot the apartments facing the sea.

    4) take a bus up to devil's dyke to shoot some landscape.

    5) go to a funny looking oriental, turkish looking pavilion called royal pavilion.

    6) the ruined west pier is nice to shoot too as it was burned down twice.


    With the exception of devil's dyke, everywhere is within walking distance from the train station.
    Last edited by cowmera; 11th July 2011 at 11:13 AM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

  3. #23

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Suggest you pick up a rental car with a good GPS, UK very easy to drive around the countryside. Trains are not cheap and you'd want the freedom of not being restricted by the public transport in many cases.
    Well.. can I rent a car without valid driving license ? I don't think they will recognize my license there. Or you know any lobang ?
    I already bought a UK rail pass, so it should be no prob cost wise.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori

    Well.. can I rent a car without valid driving license ? I don't think they will recognize my license there. Or you know any lobang ?
    I already bought a UK rail pass, so it should be no prob cost wise.
    Well, I rented a car there using only Singapore license. So, i think as long as your license is in english, it should be fine. Else you can always get IDP from AA before u go.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

    I actually enjoyed the towns. It's a huge change from the hectic city life and I spent many mornings and afternoons sitting in the cafes of these many small towns you seem to think nothing of just relaxing. Traveling is more than just about sightseeing for me.
    Different people, different strokes applies here. I find looking at nature/lakes/mountains more relaxing than sitting around in cafes. I tend to eat more if I do that. Furthermore, I sit most of the time during work, don't see the pt of doing that when I'm on leave traveling.

  6. #26
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori

    Well.. can I rent a car without valid driving license ? I don't think they will recognize my license there. Or you know any lobang ?
    I already bought a UK rail pass, so it should be no prob cost wise.
    Singapore license is recognized there. You can google, I remember tourists can drive.

    It's up to you la, Just hope you don't end up regretting not having the convenience of a car. UK is not like Punggol can walk finish in 4 hours.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Singapore license is recognized there. You can google, I remember tourists can drive.

    It's up to you la, Just hope you don't end up regretting not having the convenience of a car. UK is not like Punggol can walk finish in 4 hours.
    Use your Singapore license to apply for an international driving permit with the AAS. a small fee of about $20. http://www.aas.com.sg/?show=content&showview=8&val=135

  8. #28
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by methoddingo View Post
    Use your Singapore license to apply for an international driving permit with the AAS. a small fee of about $20. http://www.aas.com.sg/?show=content&showview=8&val=135
    Thanks for the information.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Singapore license is recognized there. You can google, I remember tourists can drive.

    It's up to you la, Just hope you don't end up regretting not having the convenience of a car. UK is not like Punggol can walk finish in 4 hours.
    LoL thanks, will try to rent a car if possible

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tam Pines
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    What lenses should I bring for my London trip? wide, standard or tele?
    I have a 3.5yr and a 1yr old children wif me so I hope to travel light.

    Thanks...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by EdOkH View Post
    What lenses should I bring for my London trip? wide, standard or tele?
    I have a 3.5yr and a 1yr old children wif me so I hope to travel light.

    Thanks...
    depends what you'd like to capture. since it's family then i suppose a zoom like 18-105 to capture the kids and use the wide end for family/landscape/architecture shots?

    What lens do you have and how heavy can you travel?

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tam Pines
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by methoddingo View Post
    depends what you'd like to capture. since it's family then i suppose a zoom like 18-105 to capture the kids and use the wide end for family/landscape/architecture shots?

    What lens do you have and how heavy can you travel?
    I be using my D300 and have lens like 11-16mm, 17-55mm, 70-200mm, 70-300mm. I'm thinking of omitting the 70-200mm. As I have my kids with me and it's my first time in London, safety is my priority so I didn't wana lug my entire collection there. I haven't decide if I should bring the 70-300mm there.

    Thanks...

  13. #33

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Wow, your gear looks heavy.

    FYI, I'm planning to bring my Tamron17-50non-VC, 50 f1.8, 55-250VR. I'm gonna leave my 17-55 in SG. was considering getting the tokina116, but don't really see the point of having a UWA considering the bulkiness of lunging it around.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    where to find best fish and chips in the world???

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougs
    where to find best fish and chips in the world???
    Superfish at waterloo

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tam Pines
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by methoddingo View Post
    Wow, your gear looks heavy.

    FYI, I'm planning to bring my Tamron17-50non-VC, 50 f1.8, 55-250VR. I'm gonna leave my 17-55 in SG. was considering getting the tokina116, but don't really see the point of having a UWA considering the bulkiness of lunging it around.
    Hee...initially I had de tot of jus goin wid 17-55 but I didnt wana miss out shots. Tis trip I gonna make it a photography trip so I gonna be shutter happy. ;P

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    was in London for 6 weeks from last Dec
    u may want to try Bath + Stonehenge...Bath if u like old English charm and Stonehenge for historical interest

    if u r Potter fan, can go Kings Cross station for the 9 3/4 platform..can do a day trip to Oxford as well..
    Soccer fan, you may want to visit Chelsea, Arsenal, Fulham or Spurs (heard area is unsafe) stadiums which are within London and maybe catch a match there..

    musicals, u may wish to buy tixs on the day itself if it's not a weekend cos it's cheaper...Leicster square has many booths selling tixs

  18. #38

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    what about the universities?There are many worldfamouse universities in UK

  19. #39

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    Superfish at waterloo
    might try this!

  20. #40

    Default Re: Things to do in UK

    Quote Originally Posted by lengdatou View Post
    what about the universities?There are many worldfamouse universities in UK
    Cambridgeshire is definitely worth a visit!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •