Thread: Need help purchasing camera insurance.

Default Need help purchasing camera insurance.

I am going on a 2 week trip in Spain. I am getting a bit paranoid after reading and hearing of so many petty thefts and outright robbery in the cities. Fodor's also says that the Japanese garment also complain that their thieves are targetting east Asians in particular.

While I am getting travel insurance for myself (and wife), I understand that these insurance does not extend to photographic equipment.

Can anyone tell me where can I purchase such insurance. My stuff not very expensive but still will hurt my wallet plenty if kena stolen/robbed. They consists of my D70, 18-70, 28-105, f601 and a 20mm. and sb800. How much will it costs me?

Thanks for your help.

Do a search. There has been a lot of discussions on this issue.

Some travel insurance do cover theft or things damage during the tour. For example, mine does cover to a max of $5k for theft.

Heard from my agent that another client got his digicam soak in water and can still claim! Not sure how he does that tho.

heard that if u got home protection ( i think is frm AIA)....
    can claim camera if kenda stole.....

I am not an agent for this insurance company, but my laptop is insured for 3 yrs costing my about S$156 for a value cover of about $2700. Can get online quote & pay by credit card.

Income

You might wan to cheak with NTUC, but I find their offers not that attractive.

BTW, they only willing to insurance photography items which is not more than 6 months old. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by alangoh
    Do a search. There has been a lot of discussions on this issue.
    there aint many discussions on this, and the choices also not many

so any help on this issue....anyone bought recently for trips???

how bout the cover up to 5 k one?? 10 items rite camedia??

axa smarthome

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    I am not an agent for this insurance company, but my laptop is insured for 3 yrs costing my about S$156 for a value cover of about $2700. Can get online quote & pay by credit card.

Income
    Since my D70, lens and SB800 is only a few weeks old, I think I may take up the Income 3 years plan. Would be useful when I go to UK for the next 2 years too. Unless someone else have better suggestions.... I can't be the first one paranoid enough to think of buying insurance for camera stuff, right?

thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by fuhyong
    Since my D70, lens and SB800 is only a few weeks old, I think I may take up the Income 3 years plan. Would be useful when I go to UK for the next 2 years too. Unless someone else have better suggestions.... I can't be the first one paranoid enough to think of buying insurance for camera stuff, right?

thanks all!
    If it is 2 yrs, your travel insurance may not be active (ie in force). There is a clause that states each trip is not more than 90 days.

for the equipment cover, it is worldwide 24x7.

why must be new gears,..... well, I guess that they may scared that we lost the thing, then try to buy the policy and make a claim. also, the value may be different, like obsolite etc etc

did anyone of you that purchase travel insurance actually make a claim before?

just want to know how much can you claim for your camera loss.
    is it hassle free or are they going to throw you stacks of form to fill and grill you like u are trying to cheat them....

Try contacting this person at hocksa@pacific.net.sg. He has been trying to set up something with ClubSNAP, but it looks like there has not been much progress.