Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question with regards to fast lens.

Default Re: Question with regards to fast lens.

hey guys if i shoot at F2.8 at night doing a group shot. If the AF lights only lighted up on 1-2 person in the group, does that mean the others would be OOF?
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    hey guys if i shoot at F2.8 at night doing a group shot. If the AF lights only lighted up on 1-2 person in the group, does that mean the others would be OOF?
    You obviously need to read up more on basic photography and read your manual at the same time.

If you use a fisheye, all will be in relative focus, if you are shooting them from another building 2 km away using a super long telephoto lens, then yes, the rest will be OOF.

Without more information, there are multiple factors that contribute to DOF - aperture size is but one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    You obviously need to read up more on basic photography and read your manual at the same time.

If you use a fisheye, all will be in relative focus, if you are shooting them from another building 2 km away using a super long telephoto lens, then yes, the rest will be OOF.

Without more information, there are multiple factors that contribute to DOF - aperture size is but one of them.
    Thanks for your comments but i did not ask this question by stating that a smaller aperture = a group shot will become oof.

I am asking if the AF lights only lighted on 1-2 of my subjects (assuming there are 10 of them in a group) and i am on F2.8 and its at night. will the rest of my subjects be OOF.
    [Chasing the Light]

I think it will be good if you are able to calculate the dof and know what is the "in-focus" range (how much of the "area" is in focus with the aperture selected). The distance in focus will change along with your focal length too. Online DOF Calculator
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Thanks for your comments but i did not ask this question by stating that a smaller aperture = a group shot will become oof.

I am asking if the AF lights only lighted on 1-2 of my subjects (assuming there are 10 of them in a group) and i am on F2.8 and its at night. will the rest of my subjects be OOF.
    And I'm saying nobody can give sound advice without knowing more facts such as camera used (sensor size), focal length, etc.

Did you understand what I was saying? I think not.

If the 1-2 persons and other members of the group are in a parallel line to the plane of the camera sensor, they will be in focus.

Quote Originally Posted by mamypoko View Post
    If the 1-2 persons and other members of the group are in a parallel line to the plane of the camera sensor, they will be in focus.
    and relates back to what edutilos- said:

1) what camera (and format)
    2) lens and focal length

focal length also plays a part in DOF

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    and relates back to what edutilos- said:

1) what camera (and format)
    2) lens and focal length

focal length also plays a part in DOF
    Yep, that's a basic way to understand how it works though.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    I think it will be good if you are able to calculate the dof and know what is the "in-focus" range (how much of the "area" is in focus with the aperture selected). The distance in focus will change along with your focal length too. Online DOF Calculator
    thanks! now I understand
    [Chasing the Light]

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

And I'm saying nobody can give sound advice without knowing more facts such as camera used (sensor size), focal length, etc.

Did you understand what I was saying? I think not.
    tts why I tried to contextualize it but saying it's at night and I'm using F2.8 albeit it can be more detailed.

I do understand what you are trying to bring across thank you. there's no requirement to use such a harsh tone on anyone.

I'm here to learn and thank you all for kindly sharing
    [Chasing the Light]

tts why I tried to contextualize it but saying it's at night and I'm using F2.8 albeit it can be more detailed.

I do understand what you are trying to bring across thank you. there's no requirement to use such a harsh tone on anyone.

I'm here to learn and thank you all for kindly sharing
    I did not mean to be harsh, just stating my assessment of your understanding.

Apologise if it came across that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I did not mean to be harsh, just stating my assessment of your understanding.

Apologise if it came across that way.
    if i remember correctly, a f2.8 allows more light, hence helps focusing too?

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    if i remember correctly, a f2.8 allows more light, hence helps focusing too?
    Yes, but that's not really the point here though.

In general, faster lenses focus faster. (though the first faster has nothing to do with the second)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12