Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help needed from the Seniors

  1. #1

    Default Help needed from the Seniors

    What's the difference between a AI lens and a AFS lens?
    I just bought a D7000 may I know if both lens is able to work on it?

  2. #2
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    hi you could read up on kenrockwell... less tech jargon

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

    an AI lens will be an old manual focus lens. for the d7000 will be able to shoot in Aperture and Manual mode i think.

    is there a particular one that you have set your sight on? (perhaps you were attracted to its cheaper price?)

    or maybe someone passed you some old lens?

    whether you will enjoy manually focusing is a separate issue.

    an AF-S lens is perfectly compatible with the d7000.

  3. #3
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    hello ts =)

    im pretty sure u can use most of the lens on your d7k as it got the motor to drive the af so no worry just shoot

    =)

    af-d 50mm 1.8d is 1 of a not bad choice in term of budget and iq =) bokeh not bad too
    Lousy de My Flickr

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange
    hello ts =)

    im pretty sure u can use most of the lens on your d7k as it got the motor to drive the af so no worry just shoot

    =)

    af-d 50mm 1.8d is 1 of a not bad choice in term of budget and iq =) bokeh not bad too
    Ai lenses are basically manual focusing lenses, having a built-in motor won't help. Even so, the D7000 is able to meter with Ai lenses, so no problem there.

  5. #5
    Senior Member blueskye168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    AVPS
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    Precisely...as AF-D lenses is different from that of an Ai lenses for the latter is a full-timemanual focusing lenses...here the "catch"...!!
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    So do professionals uses Manual Focus? I understand that AF is more user friendly in lots of way but if we are using Manual focus how do we know that we are actually using the right focus? Manual focus take up alot of time too right?
    35mm lens and a 50mm lens which do you guys recommend if I'm going to take picture of people and scenery? Do 1.4 and 1.8 aperture makes A LOT of difference? Sorry for the questions spam...

  8. #8
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    So do professionals uses Manual Focus? I understand that AF is more user friendly in lots of way but if we are using Manual focus how do we know that we are actually using the right focus? Manual focus take up alot of time too right?
    35mm lens and a 50mm lens which do you guys recommend if I'm going to take picture of people and scenery? Do 1.4 and 1.8 aperture makes A LOT of difference? Sorry for the questions spam...
    some disciplines of photography need to manual focus. yes it will take time to master.

    so whatever u r shooting is it time sensitive?

    i think 1.4 and 1.8 not a lot of different given the d7000's ISO capabilities.

  9. #9
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    So do professionals uses Manual Focus? I understand that AF is more user friendly in lots of way but if we are using Manual focus how do we know that we are actually using the right focus? Manual focus take up alot of time too right?
    35mm lens and a 50mm lens which do you guys recommend if I'm going to take picture of people and scenery? Do 1.4 and 1.8 aperture makes A LOT of difference? Sorry for the questions spam...
    some use, some dont. it also depends on situations where manual focusing works best, such as macro. u can replace the existing focusing screen to a split prism focusing screen to help u in manual focusing. both 35mm n 50mm lenses can take both landscapes n people. to see if either focal length fits ur shooting preferences, stick ur kit lens to either 35mm or 50mm n shoot at these focal lengths only.

    besides, get only wad u NEED. dun buy just because some1 says "oh this lens is great n value for money" when that particular lens may not even suit ur shooting preferences. there r ppl who bought these two lenses n regretted their purchases although the lenses r great. as for the differences between f/1.4 n f/1.8, u get to shoot at higher shutter speeds with the f/1.4 in available light plus the shallower depth of field. makes it better for low light usage n better subject isolation.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Help needed from the Seniors

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    some disciplines of photography need to manual focus. yes it will take time to master.

    so whatever u r shooting is it time sensitive?

    i think 1.4 and 1.8 not a lot of different given the d7000's ISO capabilities.
    some of the f/1.4 lenses render the bokeh in a much more pleasing manner compared with their f/1.8 counterparts.
    you sort of do get what you pay for
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •