Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happened to you?

Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

by the way, nowadays companies are smart, once u are shortlisted for the job, they already have at least 1 or 2 or even more backup shortlisted candidates, just in case the originally shortlisted candidates gives a negative reply.

so i guess u better change your mentality the next time u go for job interviews.

personally myself, i make sure that this is the job i am keen and i will go apply for it, rather then i go for 10 interviews then see what they are offering me then decide if i want. i rather go for less interviews then more interviews, "quality over quantity".

Also remember, DO NOT say "I will consider" until you have the written offer letter. If it's just verbal, then say "Sounds great, please write up the official offer letter so I have some documentation and I can sign it".
    Alpha

If it's a job worth having, you won't even be subjected to this. Just move on, there are a lot better opportunities for you.. Good luck!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    If it's a job worth having, you won't even be subjected to this. Just move on, there are a lot better opportunities for you.. Good luck!
    Really? Lots of fussy employers out there.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Quote Originally Posted by dancemania

Really? Lots of fussy employers out there.
    Only if you allow them to subject to scrutiny. If you're of suitable calibre, you're the one that takes charge during the interview.

You can be the fussy candidate as well.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Only if you allow them to subject to scrutiny. If you're of suitable calibre, you're the one that takes charge during the interview.

Take charge? How?
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    Take charge? How?
    In bold and underline.

Actually in most cases, "suitable calibre" isn't enough
    Those who take charge are usually the ones asking "what can you offer?", usually the interviewer.
    If you are being headhunted, then you might be in the position to ask "what can you offer?"

Quote Originally Posted by MatCh View Post
    In bold and underline.

Actually in most cases, "suitable calibre" isn't enough
    Those who take charge are usually the ones asking "what can you offer?", usually the interviewer.
    If you are being headhunted, then you might be in the position to ask "what can you offer?"

One of my friend told me ... in order to secure a job nowadays ...
    you must really know how to 'curry favor' the boss.

My friend during interview can kneel down to kiss the interviewer toes ...
    and the eye level is never looking down at the level of the interviewer even he is 1.8 Meters tall.

Whatever, the interviewer says ... he will answer: Sir, that's is the best advise not even my Father and Mother can give and your words are even more beautiful that the nightingle ....

He is now the V.P of some banking organisation and driving a 5 series BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by google

One of my friend told me ... in order to secure a job nowadays ...
    you must really know how to 'curry favor' the boss.

My friend during interview can kneel down to kiss the interviewer toes ...
    and the eye level is never looking down at the level of the interviewer even he is 1.8 Meters tall.

Whatever, the interviewer says ... he will answer: Sir, that's is the best advise not even my Father and Mother can give and your words are even more beautiful that the nightingle ....

He is now the V.P of some banking organisation and driving a 5 series BMW.
    He might be a VP but he is still a tool. Until the next one comes along that can kiss better butt. If he wants to be a yes man then that is fine but I would rather keep my individuality and freedom no matter how hard I have to work. There is more than one job out there anyway.

And

Is is true that in Singapore they can ask for specific races in job ads?
    Tyrov
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrov View Post
    And

Is is true that in Singapore they can ask for specific races in job ads?
    that's common, in a in-direct way. for example :

"Preferred Chinese".

they wont say "Muslim and Indian need not apply."
    Last edited by ninelives; 24th June 2011 at 09:18 PM.
    Objection !!!

I think the main point here is that although the company says that they had someone filled the job, but yet there are still ads in the papers of the same job description. So, had they really got someone to fill it, or that's their way of saying since you want to consider, we also don't want you??!!??!

If they decided against having you, then they should outright say so, and not giving reply that they had the position filled, but yet putting ads for the same job description...

Unless the more weird scenario is that.... they placed the ads to try to "show off" that they are doing well, and are expanding when they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives

that's common, in a in-direct way. for example :

"Preferred Chinese".

they wont say "Muslim and Indian need not apply."
    And it is legal?
    Tyrov
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrov

And it is legal?
    Of course they won't advertise that Malays and Indians need not apply, that's not allowed. But no rule saying you can't put "prefer chinese" or "prefer male/female"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrov

And it is legal?
    Maybe they need Chinese people/Chinese speaking staff because most of their business dealings/customers are Chinese people? (just suggesting one of the reasons why they would advertise it this way)

It's not outright discrimination and/or exclusion if it's within reason... (there's also the Singapore citizen/pr need not apply condition in ads, must we legalize everything..?)
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

I am a local fresh grad, just completed my final semester. I was lucky to secure a good job in feb this year through some help.

During the later months when many companies started hiring for fresh grad, I went job hunting just for fun. I sent out quite a few resume and only got 1 reply for interview, simply because that job requires a singapore citizen. I don't think I am underqualified considering that I was expecting 1st class honors and the job I applied for were all for fresh grad. It could be my lousy resume, but ironically, my tutor gave me an A for an assignment which involves resume writing. IMHO, while our goverment claims that the job market is hot, it might not be the case for jobs that singaporean wants and can do. So if one is offered a job, perhaps the best thing to do is mai tu liao.

If the job requires you to start work immediately, then 2 days to consider would be hard to justify. But if the job requires you to start work a week later, then what is 2 days ?

Same thing like shopping, you see something that you like and you feels that it is right and gonna buy it in awhile(be it you told the shop to reserve it for you or not), then you happened to pass by another shop and saw the exact same thing but cheaper(what would you do?). Let's put this mindset into job interviews, the person in charge of interviewing won't stop any candidate from coming in even after he/she found the exact candidate, what if someone after you with the same experience comes in and expected a lower salary than you?

In present times, interviews are not that simple, it is an exchange of information. WHY? The papers, online website or recruiters only provide brief and general descriptions. Do you know the, Company policy? Benefits? Transport subsidies? Bonus ? Leave policy? Yearly increments? Your prospect in the company? Yes, you do need time to consider as not everything goes your way, unless your job field turn over rate is fast therefore interviews are just norm to you.

End of the day, don't give up if you fail, just blame it on our luck

I think its a bit inappropriate to say that you need time to consider, better take it first, you can still resign later if the job doesnt suit you. Or you can just tell them that you will come back the next day to sign, that way you have 1 day to reconsider... Anyway at least for me, finding right place to live whether buying or renting (regardless of price) is 20 times harder than finding a job

And it is legal?
    I believe most companies have a spoken and written language field in their online job application. If you are a malay/indian with a o level pass for chinese they certainly wont mind.

no offence but i'll be very blunt and direct.

the main grouse here is that you were offered the job and yet you demanded a 2 day period to think it through.

the employer highly likely would feel that you're not sincere enough, not serious enough and could be out to take them for a ride. they would rather spend more $$ on advert again to look for someone else instead of hiring you some 2 days later because you made them looked like 2nd rate and likely, a backup choice.

no one likes to be someone else's backup.

if its me the one doing the hiring and you tell me the same thing, i would say 'thank you very much' and show you the door and proceed on to my shortlist of other eligible candidates.

as for your resume and job application, it belongs to the waste paper basket.

the solution would be to say YES on the spot and go back wait for other opportunities and if none arises, then LLST accept the job when the time comes to sign the employment letter.
    Last edited by Cheesecake; 26th June 2011 at 10:07 AM.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

And it is legal?
    There are some branches and departments in certain ministries and statutory boards with strict HR criteria to only employ certain ethnic groups but of course they wouldn't go about announcing such a preference in recruitment advertisements.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast