Thread: 70-200mm help

Default 70-200mm help

Hi guys,

i borrowed this lens from my uncle couple of days ago to try taking pics at the bird park.
    yes the quality is very good and photos are good too.

But i had 1 problem which was the focusing. It is said that it focus very quickly and quietly but i had problems with the focus. I needed to manually adjust till its quite "near" the focus point before it really auto focus for me. is what am i doing wrong?

Are you using auto focus point selection?

Default Re: 70-200mm help

more info pls. so vague.. what were u focusing on and how far were you.

Which version of the 70-200mm lens are you using. I am using the EF 70-200mm f4L IS lens... and the focusing is not really that fast. Like you, I have to manual focus it to almost the object that I wanted to focus on, then the AF will kick in and got an accurate focus.

I think this is quite normal because the area that we wanted to focus on might be very complicated and the focusing system would have a hard time knowing what is the object we wanted to focus on, thus the need to 'tell' them which to focus and which to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123
    Which version of the 70-200mm lens are you using. I am using the EF 70-200mm f4L IS lens... and the focusing is not really that fast. Like you, I have to manual focus it to almost the object that I wanted to focus on, then the AF will kick in and got an accurate focus.

I think this is quite normal because the area that we wanted to focus on might be very complicated and the focusing system would have a hard time knowing what is the object we wanted to focus on, thus the need to 'tell' them which to focus and which to ignore.
    That will take like 5 seconds I suppose???

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    That will take like 5 seconds I suppose???
    No... if focusing will take 5 sec, then the lens is spoilt. You would just need to manually tune the focus to the object you want and the AF will kick in. depending on how long you will need to manually pull the focus to the object.

No... if focusing will take 5 sec, then the lens is spoilt. You would just need to manually tune the focus to the object you want and the AF will kick in. depending on how long you will need to manually pull the focus to the object.
    Would you elaborate more on the 'AF will kick in' ?

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    more info pls. so vague.. what were u focusing on and how far were you.
    bro i was focusing on the bird's head area. i dont think it has to do with the distance even though i was at about 1-2m away max. the problem i feel is more noticable when at 200mm
    It doesnt seemed so bad at 70mm where manually adjusting the focus point was very minimal.

@crystal
    im using single focus point only. hmm i have to use manual focus when if its sharp, there will be a focus confirmation though. otherwise it will autofocus for me when it is "more visable" to the lens lol.
    i dont seem to have any prob with other lenses leh...

@rhino its f2.8 with IS.
    Yes i suspect is the focusing area "too complicated for the system" but im not sure thats why im asking for help haha

@jialong
    when you take photos, u half shutter to let camera auto focus on your point of interest right? but it seems to need manually focus till the area is having a more focal point before the lens will autofocus for u the point of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Would you elaborate more on the 'AF will kick in' ?
    Means the lens will autofocus. If I didn't 'tell' the camera where to focus in certain situation, it will start to keep searching.

Quote Originally Posted by t3hkor View Post
    bro i was focusing on the bird's head area. i dont think it has to do with the distance even though i was at about 1-2m away max. the problem i feel is more noticable when at 200mm
    It doesnt seemed so bad at 70mm where manually adjusting the focus point was very minimal.
    Yep. Same issue that I met, only my is a f4L... I think it is the same with this type of lens, be it f4 or f2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by t3hkor

@jialong
    when you take photos, u half shutter to let camera auto focus on your point of interest right? but it seems to need manually focus till the area is having a more focal point before the lens will autofocus for u the point of interest.

Oh ok ok I think I get what you mean already. Thanks!

Means the lens will autofocus. If I didn't 'tell' the camera where to focus in certain situation, it will start to keep searching.
    Yeah I think I get it already. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by t3hkor View Post

@crystal
    im using single focus point only. hmm i have to use manual focus when if its sharp, there will be a focus confirmation though. otherwise it will autofocus for me when it is "more visable" to the lens lol.
    i dont seem to have any prob with other lenses leh...

@rhino its f2.8 with IS.
    Yes i suspect is the focusing area "too complicated for the system" but im not sure thats why im asking for help haha

@jialong
    Hmmm.. must remember you need to be at least 1.2m away from subject for 70-200 to focus.. maybe you stand too near?

Quote Originally Posted by lunffy View Post
    Hmmm.. must remember you need to be at least 1.2m away from subject for 70-200 to focus.. maybe you stand too near?
    If TS is standing less than 1.2m from object, no matter how much he manual focus, the lens will not focus at all. but that was not the case.

Like we have said before, the main issue was that the background might be too complicated for the lens or camera to focus, thus you need to 'tell' the camera and lens what to focus on first and this can be achieved by manually tuning the lens to that object, then the AF will kick in and give an accurate focus... lucky thing was the 70-200mm had FTM and so it was actually quite easy.