Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White balance bracketing , what is it ?

Default Re: White balance bracketing , what is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Even if this is the case, the time taken to convert one RAW into 3 files is not insignificant, assuming that the person has many many many shots to work with.

That said, I have no idea how many people do this blending thing when there is tricky mixed lighting situation and they are faced with many shots.
    Yes I definitely agree that converting 1 RAW into a few different images takes time, and worse still when there are many many photos to go through.

But...

1) On my camera, if RAW (NEF) output is selected, 'WB bracketing' feature goes out the door. I'm not sure what it's like with other makes/models, but I would imagine it's no different, since the camera is basically doing the same thing as would be done by the user: Taking 1 RAW and processing it n times to get n different files with different WB.

2)In dealing with mixed lighting conditions, I can't think of many other solutions than painstaking blending of different WB exposures, if that is even possible. Can't really figure out how WB bracketing can help.
    The other option is to 'solve' the problem on site, by manipulating the colour temp of some of the light sources to get them more balanced.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    I'm referring to WB bracketing in general and not the inbuilt camera function.

Hmm it's not possible to say there's only one way at this or it's the best way. It may be just a preferred method for some past and present photographers. Again let's first talk old school commercial photography, need not be film days but early digital, before photoshop raw becamed advanced. In the olden days professional commercial photographers were armed with colour temp light meters to measure Kelvin. These meters also calculate for you the Color Correction filters required to remove colour casts. That would allow their DI artists back in the studio to blend in accurately, as unless these artists were on-site, they would not know the actual lighting situation.

At present, with a grey card under different lighting we can use the WB dropper to correct for in PS RAW. Or as long as the photographers are using a camera with custom kelvin function they could input straight in and do their WB bracketing on location. You could say these photographers believed in their meters more than going back to the shop to guestimate WB. I would too if I had one but these things cost a few thousand dollars, guestimating WB is still cheaper.

I've done mixed lighting blending for interiors before but have not encountered anything considered so tricky as to requiring WB bracketing. Mainly because A) I don't have the experience of the situation requiring such precision and B) the clients do not demand it. But I would not discount such practise overseas. Some photographers can be picky, either their art demands it or their professionalism & experience calls for it. It's part of their service after all.

As for shooting multiple frames but difficulty in merging, you're only assuming if movement need be frozen.
    Thanks for sharing your insight!
    Yes I'm assuming that movement needs to be frozen. haha

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Yes I definitely agree that converting 1 RAW into a few different images takes time, and worse still when there are many many photos to go through.

But...

1) On my camera, if RAW (NEF) output is selected, 'WB bracketing' feature goes out the door. I'm not sure what it's like with other makes/models, but I would imagine it's no different, since the camera is basically doing the same thing as would be done by the user: Taking 1 RAW and processing it n times to get n different files with different WB.

2)In dealing with mixed lighting conditions, I can't think of many other solutions than painstaking blending of different WB exposures, if that is even possible. Can't really figure out how WB bracketing can help.
    The other option is to 'solve' the problem on site, by manipulating the colour temp of some of the light sources to get them more balanced.
    My Nikon camera handles WB really well, my colleague using his Canon has grumbled occasionally about his. So to tell the truth even for interiors I leave WB as auto, but at camera RAW I choose my WB point to closest mid-grey and adjust further to what I perceive as the correct white balance as seen on location. And yes, process more than once to get a 2nd WB file if needed. It's hardly Kelvin accurate but relies more on the photographer's (artistic) intent on the photograph.

For point 2, instances where WB blending is required will be when it is vital a certain subject or material be accurately replicated. Whether for sciencific reasons and/or client demand. An artwork for example, in special circumstance where it's a home private display under overhead tungsten lighting and not possible to move it about into favourable studio even lighting conditions. Client (private art collector) would like you to photograph his luxurious home interior in mainly daylight while capturing the artwork colours accurately. Problem with the artwork is it's mainly top lit, bottom fades into darkness. Other factors could be it being in a corner and difficult for you to position your studio lights evenly.

Of course, firstly what kind of artwork it is will give its own problems, then you have to decide the method to tackle lighting & blending of top & bottom halfs to ensure greatest accuracy. This is a convoluted scenerio which has slim chances of happening every other day, but a possible real life situation that involves WB blending. If the photographer is not sure about colour temp or does not have the acute knowledge in colour accuracy it could be very troublesome and a very unwanted surprise.

Manipulating colour temp straight from light sources is definitely possible, but the logistics involved means it's more for photographers with an army of assistants. Might be more for video productions than photoshoots, or likely overseas studio houses with big budget clients. Again, it would require you to know the correct CC filter, you don't want to introduce a weird cast in ontop.

There are many tricks in PS to remove colour casts or at least bluff the undiscerned eye, it's just a matter of getting away with it. WB blending workflow is quite unnecessary in the general market. The above scenario required some brain racking to come up with.

tks again foxtwo for sharing your experiences and insight on this matter!
    I can imagine the scenario you described with the mixed lighting conditions and certain items which you need to portray as colour-correct. Certainly not an easy task...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Thanks for sharing your insight!
    Yes I'm assuming that movement needs to be frozen. haha
    Just sharing observations from work and reading materials.

If I need the exterior view frozen I just choose the 1 required scene outdoors and blend for interior only. I think it would be very rare that an exterior scene (with movement) would have mixed main lighting that would also require WB bracketing.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    I think it would be very rare that an exterior scene (with movement) would have mixed main lighting that would also require WB bracketing.
    yup now that you mention it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12