Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: macro lens

  1. #1

    Default macro lens

    Should i splurge on a 180mm 1:1 lens or just be content with a 90mm 1:1. considering the following lenses:
    - Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1
    - Tamron SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD IF Macro 1:1
    - Tokina AT-X M100AF 100mm f/2.8 AF Macro

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    Should i splurge on a 180mm 1:1 lens or just be content with a 90mm 1:1. considering the following lenses:
    - Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1
    - Tamron SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD IF Macro 1:1
    - Tokina AT-X M100AF 100mm f/2.8 AF Macro
    Take Tamron SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD IF Macro 1:1

  3. #3

    Default

    it depends on your macro subject. Like myself, I shoot b'fly, so require more working distance and chosen the 180mm.. quality wise,

    check my gallery for pix taken with the len
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    Should i splurge on a 180mm 1:1 lens or just be content with a 90mm 1:1. considering the following lenses:
    - Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1
    - Tamron SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD IF Macro 1:1
    - Tokina AT-X M100AF 100mm f/2.8 AF Macro
    Unless I am mistaken, Tokina AT-X is a Macro 1:2 .....

    I splurge on a Sigma 105 1:1 .... not regretting it .... .....

    I suspect it will depends on what you want to take ......

  5. #5

    Default

    How much is the Tamron SP AF180mm and Sigma 105mm?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    How much is the Tamron SP AF180mm and Sigma 105mm?
    tamron 180 is ~$1.2k

    there is a new version of the sigma 105mm, same goes to the tamron 90mm
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    Tamron 180mm is my vote.

  8. #8

    Default

    btw, what's your subject?
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

  9. #9

    Default

    With the 1.6x focal length multiplier, 180mm would give me 288mm, plenty of working distance. Oh no.. I see my money disappearing already..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    With the 1.6x focal length multiplier, 180mm would give me 288mm, plenty of working distance. Oh no.. I see my money disappearing already..
    I use a 1.4xTC with mine... 403mm
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    With the 1.6x focal length multiplier, 180mm would give me 288mm, plenty of working distance. Oh no.. I see my money disappearing already..
    It's not a focal lenght multiplier, it's a crop factor. Your actual working distance is still the same.

    You'll only get more working distance if you add a TC.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Tamron 180mm is my vote.
    Hey bro, you really selling off your 90mm Macro now eh?
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Hey bro, you really selling off your 90mm Macro now eh?
    Thinking about it. But just thinking.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •