Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Faithfulness

  1. #1

    Red face Faithfulness



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition and Lighting

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    The feeling of faithfulness

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Sunday morning , the weather was nice, found this old couple just went out from the church .

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Old feeling with black and white colour

  2. #2

    Default

    Nice, but don't think the title is appropriate.

  3. #3
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    seems abit out of focused/abit soft..

    the theme seems ok, maybe need to include more of both their faces, showing some sort of quiet conversation/thought to really show that it's faithfulness.

    can crop out the right side so the car doesn't cut into the picture. there's also a little bit too much negative space on the left with the stop line.

    personally I prefer it like this.. hope you don't mind.

    Last edited by bonrya; 19th June 2011 at 02:47 PM.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    Your composition instincts are good, should definitely keep the vertical road marking in frame but can crop away the car on the right as bonrya suggests.

    Learn to judge B&W tonality correctly, easiest way I think for you to learn: in your image ensure you have parts where 1) pure whites with little to no detail (eg, the road markings) and 2) pure blacks with little to no detail (eg, trouser pants & front vespa tyre). If you're using Photoshop, use the Levels Adjustment, use the 2 droppers in the little pop-up window. For setting black point I use the dropper on the inside of the pants and for white point I used the road marking. Finish up with sharpening for clarity.

    Once you've learnt to judge as well as increased your knowledge on post processing techniques, you can use better methods in controlling your work. For example instead of solely relying on Levels but to include Curves, Dodge & Burn. Good B&Ws need a fair amount of work.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    Thanks bonrya for the sample picture ,

    Yup there is too much negative space on it , ok understand now , it need to be contrast especially in the face to show faithfulness .

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    seems abit out of focused/abit soft..
    the theme seems ok, maybe need to include more of both their faces, showing some sort of quiet conversation/thought to really show that it's faithfulness.
    can crop out the right side so the car doesn't cut into the picture. there's also a little bit too much negative space on the left with the stop line.
    personally I prefer it like this.. hope you don't mind.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    Thanks foxtwo for the complements and comments ,

    About the tonal , because i use the aperture , do you know to how perform levels adjustment on it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Your composition instincts are good, should definitely keep the vertical road marking in frame but can crop away the car on the right as bonrya suggests.

    Learn to judge B&W tonality correctly, easiest way I think for you to learn: in your image ensure you have parts where 1) pure whites with little to no detail (eg, the road markings) and 2) pure blacks with little to no detail (eg, trouser pants & front vespa tyre). If you're using Photoshop, use the Levels Adjustment, use the 2 droppers in the little pop-up window. For setting black point I use the dropper on the inside of the pants and for white point I used the road marking. Finish up with sharpening for clarity.

    Once you've learnt to judge as well as increased your knowledge on post processing techniques, you can use better methods in controlling your work. For example instead of solely relying on Levels but to include Curves, Dodge & Burn. Good B&Ws need a fair amount of work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    Quote Originally Posted by biskandar View Post
    Thanks foxtwo for the complements and comments ,

    About the tonal , because i use the aperture , do you know to how perform levels adjustment on it ?
    I don't use that software but, Levels work the same

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sVnp5sJweo

  8. #8

    Default

    I think u just need to crop away the car on the right and hv sone vignetting to focus on the subject, maybe some grain to give it a little impact. Change the name, I would personally called it "Life Journey Together..." or something like that.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    Thanks Ripley5 for the tips and title suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley5 View Post
    I think u just need to crop away the car on the right and hv sone vignetting to focus on the subject, maybe some grain to give it a little impact. Change the name, I would personally called it "Life Journey Together..." or something like that.

  10. #10

    Default

    I wud prefer that the shot was taken with the oncoming car closer behind (but not close though). The negative space on the left could then be cropped off but leaving more out-of-focus elements behind.

    Agree that it is possible to further improve the contrast, especially on the couples' face. The facial tones seem a bit too similar to the surrounding areas. In LR, i would play with the orange tone to make the faces brighter.

    Just my two cents opinion.

  11. #11
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Great street shot.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    Thanks xsaifuddin .

  13. #13

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    I too agree to crop that car on the right side. I would prefer the blackness of the photo darker! Oh and I love the photo. They look cute!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Faithfulness

    the main object is a bit dark.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •