Thread: Need Help with NEW lens

Default Need Help with NEW lens

Hi guys,

i just got a new sony a55, the lens that came with it is a 18-55mm lens.

i got a question to ask, is it normal to feel a little resistance when turning the lens from 18 to 55mm?

when i turn the lens from 18 to 35 everything is smooth, then from 35-55 it become kinda tight and not smooth and will cause the camera to jerk a little which can be noticed on the live finder even when i try my best to hold the camera steady. the camera will stay steady as i push from 18 to 35 but jerk after 35.

Normal?

Default Re: Need Help with NEW lens

turn it from 18 - 55 in a smooth motion. then try turning from 18 - 35, then stop, then turn from 35 - 55 in another smooth motion. did it help?

Just do this:

1. Remove the lens from the body

2. Zoom it from 18mm to 55mm for about 50 to 100 times and it'll become smooth

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    turn it from 18 - 55 in a smooth motion. then try turning from 18 - 35, then stop, then turn from 35 - 55 in another smooth motion. did it help?
    I will try when the camera is with me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex
    Just do this:

1. Remove the lens from the body

2. Zoom it from 18mm to 55mm for about 50 to 100 times and it'll become smooth
    Do i really have to do this? If this isnt normal i could actually go exchange 1-1 within 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by at0m87 View Post
    Do i really have to do this? If this isnt normal i could actually go exchange 1-1 within 7 days.
    dude he's kidding. don't!

Hi guys,

i just got a new sony a55, the lens that came with it is a 18-55mm lens.

i got a question to ask, is it normal to feel a little resistance when turning the lens from 18 to 55mm?

when i turn the lens from 18 to 35 everything is smooth, then from 35-55 it become kinda tight and not smooth and will cause the camera to jerk a little which can be noticed on the live finder even when i try my best to hold the camera steady. the camera will stay steady as i push from 18 to 35 but jerk after 35.

Normal?
    It's normal. You'll realize the lens extends and retracts - at 18mm it's extended, at 35mm it's retracted, and at 55mm it's extended again. The resistance you feel is when the retracting mechanism switches from one "lane" to the next.

If it helps to clarify... When going from 55mm to 35mm, you are moving the outer lens elements inwards. But to go from 35 to 18, you need to re-extend the outer elements *and* an internal element at the same time to achieve the wideangle - hence the extra resistance.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 17th June 2011 at 12:13 AM.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

It's normal. You'll realize the lens extends and retracts - at 18mm it's extended, at 35mm it's retracted, and at 55mm it's extended again. The resistance you feel is when the retracting mechanism switches from one "lane" to the next.

If it helps to clarify... When going from 55mm to 35mm, you are moving the outer lens elements inwards. But to go from 35 to 18, you need to re-extend the outer elements *and* an internal element at the same time to achieve the wideangle - hence the extra resistance.
    Thanks for clarifying, so all lenses that extend and retract and extended again will have this effect?

Thanks for clarifying, so all lenses that extend and retract and extended again will have this effect?
    More or less, but also depends on the size of the elements you need to move. The resistance may be more noticeable, or barely noticeable at all.
    Alpha

it's a good thing cos you know that it's so new that it's still tight.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    it's a good thing cos you know that it's so new that it's still tight.
    bonnie. your mind is still filthy

too many innuendos!

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

bonnie. your mind is still filthy

too many innuendos!

My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

thanks for all your feedback guys!