Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended lens for group photos

Default Re: Recommended lens for group photos

I have not used the Tokina 11-16 before. But I have used both the Sigma 8-16 and the Canon 10-22mm. Of the two, I prefer the Canon. One reason is because I personally find the focal range more useful and I prefer to sacrifice the extra 2mm width for the 22mm reach (equivalent to about 35mm) which means I could still use it as a reasonable walkabout lens. I sold it after I upgraded to FF, but it was one of my favorites.

Btw, for group shots, you don't need a fast lens because you probably shouldn't be shooting at F2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    I have not used the Tokina 11-16 before. But I have used both the Sigma 8-16 and the Canon 10-22mm. Of the two, I prefer the Canon. One reason is because I personally find the focal range more useful and I prefer to sacrifice the extra 2mm width for the 22mm reach (equivalent to about 35mm) which means I could still use it as a reasonable walkabout lens. I sold it after I upgraded to FF, but it was one of my favorites.

Btw, for group shots, you don't need a fast lens because you probably shouldn't be shooting at F2.8.
    Very true. Usually group shot is about F8 right? We were joking about the fast lens because ZerocoolAstra was saying I might be shooting in a bawl
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

A lot of the lens specifications have something called "picture angle" as well.
    This should give you an idea (if you still remember your geometry from school ) how wide an area your lens can cover.

I still feel a bit surprised that you find the 18-55 not enough for group shots
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    A lot of the lens specifications have something called "picture angle" as well.
    This should give you an idea (if you still remember your geometry from school ) how wide an area your lens can cover.

I still feel a bit surprised that you find the 18-55 not enough for group shots
    Actually it's great so far. I'm just thinking of the possibilities of shooting without telling everybody to 挤一点 or 站靠近一点 with UWA hee

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    Thanks bro for your recommendation! I do understand the issues with fattening ladies with UWA hehe. I noticed you have a 10-22. Awesome. Is it any good for group photo? Same distortion at the edges?
    I have yet to take group shots with 10-22....it so happen that everytime when I have to take a group photo, I'm always with my 18-55.

But if you are comparing 18mm on 18-55 vs 10-22 at 18mm, the distortion on 10-22 is much better controlled. (as much as possible, don't use EF-S18-55 at 18mm for group shots, the distortion is quite obvious. But may be corrected in LR lens correction). Not sure if this is what you are asking...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Deregistered

http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!B-Et)2gBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!i!EzLKYclTPBM7o9hlODg~~0_1.JPG

i bought this over ebay 2 days ago still waiting for it to arrive 3 weeks later
    0.45x 58mm WIDE Angle Macro Conversion LENS 62mm front

for 18-55mm kit len after using 600D 1.6x crop = 28.8-88mm since we are using APC-S sensor not full frame
    after using 0.45x 28.8-88mm = 12.96-39.6mm

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I have yet to take group shots with 10-22....it so happen that everytime when I have to take a group photo, I'm always with my 18-55.

But if you are comparing 18mm on 18-55 vs 10-22 at 18mm, the distortion on 10-22 is much better controlled. (as much as possible, don't use EF-S18-55 at 18mm for group shots, the distortion is quite obvious. But may be corrected in LR lens correction). Not sure if this is what you are asking...
    Thanks for the tip bro. I need to experiment more with the kit lens. I guess it's great to learn using the kit lens then I can appreciate better lens when I grow out of it in the future

Quote Originally Posted by jun550D View Post
    http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!B-Et)2gBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!i!EzLKYclTPBM7o9hlODg~~0_1.JPG

i bought this over ebay 2 days ago still waiting for it to arrive 3 weeks later
    0.45x 58mm WIDE Angle Macro Conversion LENS 62mm front

for 18-55mm kit len after using 600D 1.6x crop = 28.8-88mm since we are using APC-S sensor not full frame
    after using 0.45x 28.8-88mm = 12.96-39.6mm
    Hehe I bought something similar for my Canon S5 IS. It works quite ok. Maybe I can consider too

Actually it's great so far. I'm just thinking of the possibilities of shooting without telling everybody to 挤一点 or 站靠近一点 with UWA hee
    Frankly speaking, I think 10-22 for a group shot is overkill....97 Horizontal Angle of view. Well, depending on the situation...it may really come in handy, but I doubt you will run into this kind of situation often.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Hehe I bought something similar for my Canon S5 IS. It works quite ok. Maybe I can consider too
    Bro, not that I'm against you buying converters, but read this before buying that...http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...on-your-camera.

*If converters works so nicely, no manufacturer will spend $ on R&D to make Macro and Wide Angle Lens*

Bro, not that I'm against you buying converters, but read this before buying that...http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...on-your-camera.

*If converters works so nicely, no manufacturer will spend $ on R&D to make Macro and Wide Angle Lens*
    I see. Actually after I bought it for my Canon S5 IS it's rarely used. But it does work. Thanks for the advice

Deregistered

Yea it know haha with that big a price differences. Trying to play around with it hehex since its lyk less than $30. Was wondering was my calculation correct ? still learning.. advise is needed too

I had done group shoot with 80-200mm, wondering has anyone tried

Yea it know haha with that big a price differences. Trying to play around with it hehex since its lyk less than $30. Was wondering was my calculation correct ? still learning.. advise is needed too
    imo, if you want to get any converter, check out the IQ first. If you are not able to accept the IQ produced, the $ is not well spent. If you are able to live with it, make sure it's w/o regrets.

Since you have ordered it might as well wait for it to deliver and experiment with it then. If it's a scam product bobian lor. So long as it doesn't mess up the images and camera

Deregistered

imo, if you want to get any converter, check out the IQ first. If you are not able to accept the IQ produced, the $ is not well spent. If you are able to live with it, make sure it's w/o regrets.
    Thanks for linking that "Using Wide Angle Converter on your camera " post its resourceful !!

Quote Originally Posted by Levis View Post
    I had done group shoot with 80-200mm, wondering has anyone tried
    70-200? Wow a super zoom lens for group photo. Power sia

it is not advisable to use ultra wide angle to take group photos, unless you hate some of the people very much, you want to make them have an alien head, basin face, arms bigger than my thigh, put on 50 pounds instantly, than please go ahead.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    it is not advisable to use ultra wide angle to take group photos, unless you hate some of the people very much, you want to make them have an alien head, basin face, arms bigger than my thigh, put on 50 pounds instantly, than please go ahead.

Lolx din think of that hahaha but its gg to be real funny, but will be great if use for creativity shots

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Yes boss. So if I use it I will make sure somebody I don't like is in the photo.
    Just kidding

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast